Show your ride.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Turbo Diesel's too. Here's my old (2005) 6.0L powerstroke. Lots of miles and I still drive it like I stole it! 1.jpg

Big diesels have their benefits ....

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cr...eed-crowded-park-stolen-car-article-1.1813846

Short version -- 14-year-old steals grandpa's little Japanese hatchback. Cops chase. Dips*** drives through a park, nearly mowing down a bunch of kids. One kid's father gets pissed-off, jumps in his truck (looks like a Mega Cab Dodge Ram; growls like a diesel on the video), and slams it into the car head-on to stop him from coming back through the park ...

carshase.jpg

Dumbass stopped. Kids saved. Car smashed. Truck bumper barely scratched.

syracuse-chase-side-by-side.jpg

Diesel saves lives. And, makes 'er clothes fall off. Heh.

SnakeDoc

It's a shame that if you're in one of those and wreck into a family in a smaller car, they're most likely going to be crushed. Not to mention the environmental damage they cause.

But I suppose it's worth it to the rough 'n tough wannabe Texas Ranger alpha male who drives it to "make 'er clothes fall off". Heh.

Big diesels have their benefits ....

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/cr...eed-crowded-park-stolen-car-article-1.1813846

Short version -- 14-year-old steals grandpa's little Japanese hatchback. Cops chase. Dips*** drives through a park, nearly mowing down a bunch of kids. One kid's father gets pissed-off, jumps in his truck (looks like a Mega Cab Dodge Ram; growls like a diesel on the video), and slams it into the car head-on to stop him from coming back through the park ...

View attachment 112676

Dumbass stopped. Kids saved. Car smashed. Truck bumper barely scratched.

View attachment 112677

Diesel saves lives. And, makes 'er clothes fall off. Heh.

SnakeDoc

the vehicle of choice for the zombie apocalypse. :lecture

It's a shame that if you're in one of those and wreck into a family in a smaller car, they're most likely going to be crushed. Not to mention the environmental damage they cause.

But I suppose it's worth it to the rough 'n tough wannabe Texas Ranger alpha male who drives it to "make 'er clothes fall off". Heh.

Not such a shame for the safe family in the truck. Nobody forced you to buy a death trap. And, yeah, that level of safety on the road is worth it. If somebody's going to get crushed, I'd rather it not be us. Making everybody equally unsafe flying down the freeway in tiny little cars is not an improvement.

As for 'environmental damage', my truck's not big enough to make a dent either way. It gets 26-mpg, if that makes you feel any better.

I've only got the one girl I'm aiming to get the clothes to fall off of these days, and I'm pretty good at it even without the truck. So, that's not really the deciding factor ... just an observation.

SnakeDoc

Well, the off-duty officer who drove the truck was obviously an experienced driver, and received adequate training to pull maneuvers like that :lol. If any other person tried to ram their pick-up into a car, their vehicle would most likely end up damaged, and they would probably end up in the hospital.

Not such a shame for the safe family in the truck. Nobody forced you to buy a death trap. And, yeah, that level of safety on the road is worth it. If somebody's going to get crushed, I'd rather it not be us. Making everybody equally unsafe flying down the freeway in tiny little cars is not an improvement.

As for 'environmental damage', my truck's not big enough to make a dent either way. It gets 26-mpg, if that makes you feel any better.

SnakeDoc
Any vehicle that's not an enormous and unnecessary truck is a "death trap". OK. :lol

If that were true at all, it would be because the people that drive these monster trucks create such a hazard. If there were less people driving trucks like this who don't need to be, then roads would be safer and people would have a greater chance of surviving an accident. The solution isn't "everyone drive big trucks". Something that big should be used for construction purposes, which I believe is what they're designed for. Not as a simple family vehicle. Imagine someone driving a bulldozer to work everyday, or to their child's soccer practice because it's "safer". Jesus.

Whether your family is safer or not, you're contributing to the problem and making it unsafe for the people around you. It's awful to blame the injury or death of people on the fact that they decided to drive a normal-sized, environmentally responsible vehicle, and not whatever 5 ton truck is popular right now.

And as far as your truck not making a dent in the environment, the same can be said here. It's contributing to the problem. You're not the only person driving one, and I'm sure the other people who do drive them have thought the same thing "My specific monster of a truck won't make a dent in the environment".

Any vehicle that's not an enormous and unnecessary truck is a "death trap". OK. :lol

In Texas ... pretty much. Probably better than half of the non-commercial vehicles around here are trucks or SUVs. Some of 'em really big. Add in the commercial big rigs, and you're outnumbered and fighting out of your weight class. That's on you. I won't put my family at risk out of some misplaced duty to people who like little cars. My wife's Suburban is our 'small car'.

If that were true at all, it would be because the people that drive these monster trucks create such a hazard. If there were less people driving trucks like this who don't need to be, then roads would be safer and people would have a greater chance of surviving an accident.

Trucks don't create the hazard. Freeways are a hazard, even if every non-commercial vehicle was a SMART buggy. Trucks are just better prepared for the worst case scenario.

The solution isn't "everyone drive big trucks". Something that big should be used for construction purposes, which I believe is what they're designed for. Not as a simple family vehicle. Imagine someone driving a bulldozer to work everyday, or to their child's soccer practice because it's "safer". Jesus. Whether your family is safer or not, you're contributing to the problem and making it unsafe for the people around you. It's awful to blame the injury or death of people on the fact that they decided to drive a normal-sized, environmentally responsible vehicle, and not whatever 5 ton truck is popular right now.

I'm responsible for my decisions, they're responsible for theirs. If they could've chosen a vehicle that would've fared better in an accident, and they didn't for whatever reason ... that's on them. If 'environmentally responsible' coal-plant-powered or ethanol-sucking little cars are your thing, go in with the knowledge that you're going to have a rough go if you get in a freeway accident with somebody with different priorities than you.

Pickup trucks are designed to haul a load. Not just for construction. I like my vehicles utilitarian. I have no use for a car with no carrying capacity.

And as far as your truck not making a dent in the environment, the same can be said here. It's contributing to the problem. You're not the only person driving one, and I'm sure the other people who do drive them have thought the same thing "My specific monster of a truck won't make a dent in the environment".

I genuinely don't care. Tailpipe emissions are not among the things I consider when choosing a vehicle ... much less one that's going to override how well the vehicle is likely to fare in an accident. I'll take safety over low-emissions everytime, and won't look back.

SnakeDoc

Last edited:
I genuinely don't care. Tailpipe emissions are not among the things I consider when choosing a vehicle ... much less one that's going to override how well the vehicle is likely to fare in an accident. I'll take safety over low-emissions everytime, and won't look back.

SnakeDoc

No matter how emissions free we make our cars and industry, China and the rest of the world pump out more than enough pollutants it negates anything America does.

This thread really got tured into an emissions thread by a liberal........go figure.

If that were true at all, it would be because the people that drive these monster trucks create such a hazard. If there were less people driving trucks like this who don't need to be, then roads would be safer and people would have a greater chance of surviving an accident. The solution isn't "everyone drive big trucks". Something that big should be used for construction purposes, which I believe is what they're designed for. Not as a simple family vehicle. Imagine someone driving a bulldozer to work everyday, or to their child's soccer practice because it's "safer". Jesus.

Whether your family is safer or not, you're contributing to the problem and making it unsafe for the people around you. It's awful to blame the injury or death of people on the fact that they decided to drive a normal-sized, environmentally responsible vehicle, and not whatever 5 ton truck is popular right now.

You should reserve messages like these, for when you're old enough to buy a car of your own :lol. Let the man enjoy his truck. This is America, and it's his choice. If you prefer societies that favor small hybrid cars, and extensive government oversight that's based on a misplaced idea of "environmentalism", there's always Switzerland...

No matter how emissions free we make our cars and industry, China and the rest of the world pump out more than enough pollutants it negates anything America does.
You are not extending the logic. It isn't as bad if America cuts emissions regardless of what China does. If China makes a lot, better that America makes less.

Also, if America makes more efficient non polluting cars, China will buy those which will reduce emissions made by China. They are already emulating a lot of American culture as it is. Make American efficient cars and China will get those.

I'm responsible for my decisions, they're responsible for theirs. If they could've chosen a vehicle that would've fared better in an accident, and they didn't for whatever reason ... that's on them. If 'environmentally responsible' coal-plant-powered or ethanol-sucking little cars are your thing, go in with the knowledge that you're going to have a rough go if you get in a freeway accident with somebody with different priorities than you.

Pickup trucks are designed to haul a load. Not just for construction. I like my vehicles utilitarian. I have no use for a car with no carrying capacity.

SnakeDoc

Environmentally safe vehicles don't have to be less safe. The Tesla is the safest car ever made. Low center of gravity due to batteries on the floor means it is less likely to flip over. That isn't true of trucks and SUVs with high center of gravity.
45 mph swerves to avoid things in front of you put most SUVs and many trucks on their roofs.

Trucks are only good for one thing. Hauling loads. Period. They suck at everything else. Handling, gas mileage, efficiency, top speed, ect.
If you need to haul stuff then get a truck, but if you don't, the need to drive a truck makes people look like they are overcompensating for something, especially monster truck drivers.

When it comes to actual DRIVING as in performance as in getting PEOPLE from point a to point b, cars are the only way to go.

Americans love their trucks, always have. I had a 2001 TRD Tacoma for 10 years, 4x4. Great truck and had a lot of fun but eventually it was time to let it go. The utilitarian aspect alone makes me wish I still had a pickup truck. People live in areas where they need the power/torque and ground clearance, be it a truck or suv. Or they got **** to haul or tow in and outside of work. Making them feel guilty about it isn't necessary, if you driving your also contributing to traffic if not emissions. Car manufacturing is improving in general and that would include trucks. You can drive any sports/performance vehicle, car or truck, past or present, and you can be labeled as over compensating. A brand new European luxury sports car gets almost the same gas mileage as my 40 year old muscle car, marginally better at best.

Americans love their trucks, always have. I had a 2001 TRD Tacoma for 10 years, 4x4. Great truck and had a lot of fun but eventually it was time to let it go. The utilitarian aspect alone makes me wish I still had a pickup truck. People live in areas where they need the power/torque and ground clearance, be it a truck or suv. Or they got **** to haul or tow in and outside of work. Making them feel guilty about it isn't necessary, if you driving your also contributing to traffic if not emissions. Car manufacturing is improving in general and that would include trucks. You can drive any sports/performance vehicle, car or truck, past or present, and you can be labeled as over compensating. A brand new European luxury sports car gets almost the same gas mileage as my 40 year old muscle car, marginally better at best.

If you need AWD and high ground clearance because you live in an off road area, then that is what SUVs like the Hummer H2 is actually for. Then it makes the most sense.

You can't carry as many people in a truck as you can in a car or an SUV, so trucks don't make sense unless you have to haul a lot or your job requires you to haul, and you cannot afford a second car.
When I said overcompensating I meant when a person drives a truck when they don't need to haul and they could be driving a car. Trucks are a purpose built vehicle, not an all around transportation.
For the road, coupes and sedans are all around transportation. For off road, SUVs with AWD are all around transportation.
Some trucks are 2wd and some are AWD, for road hauling, and for off road hauling.
Sports cars are for road driving when you don't need cargo space, just 1 or 2 passengers.

Every type of car has a purpose. It isn't just personal style.
People who drive Hummer H2s on the road as daily drivers or raised trucks just aren't being smart. Seems like a lot of ego expression going on. High center of gravity, high rolling resistance, poor handling, poor gas mileage, poor acceleration, poor top speed, poor efficiency, and for what?
Is the look of the car really worth spending that much more money on gas every day? With a Sports car, it usually doesn't get the mileage that a coupe or sedan gets, but at least IT'S purpose is made for paved roads, so you have the performance you want if needed.

That doesn't apply to SUVs. On paved roads, there is absolutely no real world benefit to be gained by driving one as a daily driver.
If you aren't going to be hauling anything, there isn't any real world benefit to having a truck as a daily driver either.

Having one car as a daily driver (whatever that may be) in most cases comes down to what that individual can afford and what their priorities are. Real or imagined. And people to some extent have to at least like or be enthusiastic enough to shell out thousands to buy a car or truck. That's important no matter what it is because it's yours and your paying for it.
I agree with you 100% on the Hummers as daily drivers, especially when they have 20"-30" rims. :slap

Back