Should we close down Whedonville?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we close down Whedonville and move the threads to other forums?

• Total voters
I love this section. I don't post here a lot but I do visit it often. It's that rare space of actual fans who enjoy the licenses they're discussiing. Unique, I say!
I understand there's not exactly a huge Whedon presence in the collectible market right now but if it's all the same I'd like this section to stick around.

Re: Do we really need Whedonville?

Look at the amount of people in this thread that have never entered into this forum screaming for its closure.

Look at the Greatest Monster Hunter thread and all the Buffy bashing that went on there. If you put Whedon items in general population, you won't go a single page without someone, who never watched any Whedon show, trashing it.
At least here there is a safe haven for what little discussion is left.

Exactly. So far half the comments on here have been quite frankly borderline rude. By people just trolling and out to express their hatred of folks that (god help us) don't share their obsessions.

Can you imagine trying to post with that type of harassment going on all the time? Crowbarring this into the main thread would be the death of it.

Look there's very few licenses out there that can compete with Star Wars and the like, and so of course you cant expect as much traffic as in those type of threads.

But to close this would be a bad move as far as I'm concerned at least.

It was the Buffy figures that first drew me into collecting 1/6th scale figures, and strangely enough nothings ever taken my interest as much since.

As I said earlier not everyone is obsessed with Star Wars or Marvel bloody comics I'm afraid and we should be given the chance to express that. Talk about possible customs, collectibles etc.

The only reason that I've not been as active as I'd like on here is because of my deteriorating health, but thats something I hoping to try and get round asap.

So please firstly get that poll sorted out. Make sure that folks voted for what they thought they were voting for, and take no notice of the idiots on here that have never visited the place, and obviously hate the franchise and are just looking for any old excuse to get rid of it.

If this section shuts, well I feel I won't be visiting this board half as much, nor will feel as invested in it in general.

Please don't shut this section!!

Last edited:
You can't close this section!! I just found it for heaven's sake!! I've been going through all the old threads just to see how much I missed!!

And to all you haters, you just kiss my Kentucky butt! Go on back to Star Trek Wars and whatever.

I just woke up and managed to get through the previous posts, half of which are serious arguments for or against and half of which are from posters I've never seen here, except when they've been out trolling. Is this still a legitimate poll? If so, Dave can you clear out the false votes? It looks like The Josh's and some others' votes to keep it along with most of the toss it crowd's will have to go.

I can see both sides. This place gets so little traffic on most days it's enough to visit the site, confirm the last post is the same as yesterday's, then move on to another forum--usually Customs for me, but Whedonville is always the first one I check.

Of all the properties Sideshow has had, I still feel Buffy and Angel were the most deserving as pop culture shows. The Whedonville properties are unique among tv shows--they're written smart, were cast and acted perfectly, and still generate talk-back today. People have used them to write their doctorates, even. But being the best written, acted, put together doesn't make a television show/movie the best platform for toy merchandise (Star Wars can claim that title, even after a thoroughly mediocre multi-million dollar Prequel trilogy, because STUFF BLOWS UP AND LOOKS COOL TO KIDS). The best collectible--the only essential one--a Buffy/Angel/Firefly fan can own are the DVDs.

That said, Sideshow came out with over 20 figures for this line, because back in the day, they knew the truth of what I've said above. B/A were great when they could focus on the more obscure properties in making a name for themselves. Unfortunately for us, SSC outgrew and shifted its focus before they could finish the line correctly. There are still core characters from both shows (and Firefly, and who knows, from Dollhouse--which BTW got a nice mention as a show to watch from my local newspaper) that really need to be made, if only by customs at this point. I for one am actively (more or less) working on 3 figures to round out my lineup. So there is still toy stuff to talk about with Whedonville. Outside the realm of toys, there are still the comic books, Dr Horrible, and Dollhouse in February.

Not to start an anti-intellectual rant here, too, but there's also a tonal difference I've noticed. Regulars know we like to discuss esoteric details from the shows here. I believe those are going to get utterly lost if left to the General forum. I can barely get myself to look at the other forums now, since 95% of it is irrelevant to me. Yes, I collect SW, LOTR, and even have a couple of Marvel PFs though I'll likely be getting rid of them soon. But there's only so much talk about dumbed down television shows, comic books, and over-hyped movies I can take. Much of the discussion in other forums honestly seems to be conducted by very very young men (and women) who wear their ages on their t-shirt sleeves, if you get my meaning. Other properties have different target audiences and this is really obvious particularly when you run polls like these and the thirteen year olds suddenly show up again.

Dave, I do think some restructuring would be in order, but I vote against throwing Whedonville into General. You had an earlier proposition about moving Dr Who in here that I think is worth discussing again. Maybe a Cult Classics group would work--Whedonville, Dr Who, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, POTA, PK D!ck and like-minded properties.

In a year's time (or less) we'll probably be having the same conversation about LOTR and Indiana Jones, though Crystal Skull sucked so bad it truly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Star Wars. Maybe you can consolidate those two then.

Great post love and worth repeating. Particularly the section I've highlighted. :D

Like Havyck said unless its killing bandwith just let it be. If we got rid of every section that didn't have 1k posts a day this board would consist of Marvel, SW, and the Sandbox
Exactly. :rotfl

Hell No, we won't go!!

Thank you sueworld!! I love this site. I always come here, read the threads. I love this place. I DON"T want to see it go. I would have to go hunting around all over the place to find what I can find right here. So HA! don't change a thing.

Just to throw it out there - the Movie & TV threads are usually very thoughtful and a little more high minded than discourse on pauldron colors. It would be a shame to isolate, say the thread on Dollhouse (when it starts) in this section when more people would find the thread and perhaps join in, if it were in the Movie/TV section.

Honestly I believe this all stems from the POTA gang wanting their own forum. So while I do enjoy the section, there is little to no new product coming out so in the vein of fairness it can either be closed and the various threads redistributed or change Whedonville to General Sci-Fi/Fantasy to encompass Whedon and POTA but either way I see changes a-coming.

Just to throw it out there - the Movie & TV threads are usually very thoughtful and a little more high minded than discourse on pauldron colors. It would be a shame to isolate, say the thread on Dollhouse (when it starts) in this section when more people would find the thread and perhaps join in, if it were in the Movie/TV section.

That would be fine if we could guarantee discussions with like minded individuals with a mature attitude, but going by the stupid childish comments on this thread so far, by posters who haven't even visited this section before let alone post in it, I highly doubt it somehow.

You get rid of this and stick it in the other thread then I feel it's asking for trouble.

I think you should keep this section. Maybe not alot of people visit it as much as they used to but for the ones who do it seems to matter to them ( as it would me ).

I haven't posted in this area in ages, since Sideshow torpedoed the toy lines, but I am looking forward to hanging out and discussing the Dollhouse with folks... It would be easier here, and it seems like a nice spot for all the Whedon-heads to keep in touch...just my .02

Is there any cost or burden to keeping Whedonville alive and kicking?

Is there any cost or burden to keeping Whedonville alive and kicking?

Thats what I'd like to know. Is there a limit to the amount of sections you can have or something?

I may not post here but i do come every day and read. That being said if there is no cost or burden like someone else mentioned why get rid of it? Why not just keep it around? Is it really that big a hassle? If it is maybe someone who does post here regularly would be interested in taking over mod prvileges just for this section so it's not a burden to anyone who doesnt want it.

Also dont think it's entirely fair to not count votes on people who dont vote. While I can see the merit in wanting to keeping first time random whedon fans comming in to save it why not use the join date to the forums as your criteria? Again I dont post very often in any section but I do read alot of sections. Just sayin

Dave, obviously you have thought about shutting this forum down and putting it in with another one or you wouldn't have put up the poll to begin with. I'm curious as well, what's the harm in leaving this forum open? :confused:

For the record, I'd like to keep it open, I don't post as often as I used to (in any forum) due to other stuff going on in my life, but when I'm on the Freaks board, this forum is one of the three or four that I visit, it feels very homey to me, unlike the more "popular" forums, where threads spring up and die within a matter of days, if not hours. :sick

It's the difference between living in a huge, overpopulated city among strangers and living in a small community "where everybody knows your name". :peace

So, Dave, when will we know the verdict? :monkey1

Back