Should Sesame Street be discussing the topic of divorce?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should Sesame Street by discussing topics about divorce?

• Yes

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really think divorce, or even sexuality (gay or straight) have any place on that show. Given the growing level of ignorance and obesity todays kids have, seems like they'd be better of sticking to literacy, mathematics and encouraging healthy eating and exorcise. :lol

Also, I think you meant "be" not "by." :lol

I don't really think divorce, or even sexuality (gay or straight) have any place on that show. Given the growing level of ignorance and obesity todays kids have, seems like they'd be better of sticking to literacy, mathematics and encouraging healthy eating and exorcise. :lol

Also, I think you meant "be" not "by." :lol

Thanks for the correction. I don't think I can edit poll questions to fix that.

It's a tough question. Not too many kids can talk about these complicated emotions to their parents. It may be good to have a show that let's them know that they are not alone. But I also don't want to be exposing kids to this concept if their parents are still together. It's too difficult for kids to confront this topic unless they've already been through it. Tough call. I'm neutral on this topic.

There are some things that are better left to parents to deal with. Providing alternatives for parents to NOT talk to their children gives an entitlement generation even more of an excuse to treat their kids like wallflowers.

There are some things that are better left to parents to deal with. Providing alternatives for parents to NOT talk to their children gives an entitlement generation even more of an excuse to treat their kids like wallflowers.

Problem. Not all parents know how to communicate with their kids. Also not all parents are fit to be parents.

I would say no. However, I have a hard time with this question. 40% of its young viewers likely have parents that are divorced.

I wished they talked about it in the 70's when my parents got a divorce, might have saved me years if misplaced rage and feelings of loneliness. But I get others not feeling it is appropriate.

That's not, and should never be, Sesame Street's concern. :lol

Considering their audience and those effected, and the fact that over 50% of marriages end in divorce, it may not be a bad idea. Sesame streets concern is for the mental health of the children or helping kids learn, grow and cope. Discussing topics like this, especially when more and more kids are now forced to grow up faster because of divorce, may be helpful for kids...or maybe not. Only time will tell.

Seems like there are very clearly some kids who could benefit from this, but there is also the chance that some kids will get freaked out--for example, 3 year olds who can't conceive of a world without mom and dad, and who have no friends or close relatives going through it. Some kids may not be cognitively or emotionally prepared for it. The concern would be that group that could have nightmares because of this segment. Does the potential good outweigh the potential harm? I don't know. Sesame Street has always worked hand in hand with relevant researchers in the educational and development arena, so I'm guessing that their consensus view--informed by evidence--is that kids would not be harmed by this kind of thing.

I would not be worried about Sesame Street putting some ideological spin on this.

Considering their audience and those effected, and the fact that over 50% of marriages end in divorce, it may not be a bad idea. Sesame streets concern is for the mental health of the children or helping kids learn, grow and cope. Discussing topics like this, especially when more and more kids are now forced to grow up faster because of divorce, may be helpful for kids...or maybe not. Only time will tell.

That opens up the door for things like sexuality, religion, etc. I'd rather teach my own kids when I feel they're ready vs. having a show spoonfeed the topic to them. Again, it strips more parental responsibility from the parents. If anything, Sesame Street should be encouraging more parental responsibility. Just because two people get divorced doesn't mean they're any less responsible for educating the child they brought into the world.

Seems like there are very clearly some kids who could benefit from this, but there is also the chance that some kids will get freaked out--for example, 3 year olds who can't conceive of a world without mom and dad, and who have no friends or close relatives going through it. Some kids may not be cognitively or emotionally prepared for it. The concern would be that group that could have nightmares because of this segment. Does the potential good outweigh the potential harm? I don't know. Sesame Street has always worked hand in hand with relevant researchers in the educational and development arena, so I'm guessing that their consensus view--informed by evidence--is that kids would not be harmed by this kind of thing.

I would not be worried about Sesame Street putting some ideological spin on this.

Very true. I have a 3 year niece. If her parents were ever to get a divorce or even broach the subject, she would be destroyed. It's just sad that some kids have no choice but to deal with this sh$t.

That opens up the door for things like sexuality, religion, etc. I'd rather teach my own kids when I feel they're ready vs. having a show spoonfeed the topic to them. Again, it strips more parental responsibility from the parents. If anything, Sesame Street should be encouraging more parental responsibility. Just because two people get divorced doesn't mean they're any less responsible for educating the child they brought into the world.

which is all great in theory but the reality is that parents don't talk about a lot of things with their children. I also agree that they should but in the real world they don't so what about those kids? We just ignore them because they have crappy parents? My parents didn't talk to me at all about the divorce - or a lot of other things - i had to figure it out by myself and it would have been nice for a show like that to assure me.

I'd rather teach my own kids when I feel they're ready vs. having a show spoonfeed the topic to them. Again, it strips more parental responsibility from the parents. If anything, Sesame Street should be encouraging more parental responsibility.
But by that logic I wonder if Sesame Street should exist at all. . .couldn't parents be teaching kids how to count and read, after all? It's a tool to facilitate learning (and to entertain/sell stuff, of course).

It is a fair point.

But on the topic of divorce, with no healthy outlets, no friends to talk to because they may be too young, bad parents, etc.. kids may not know how to cope by themselves or they may learn to cope in negative ways.

But by that logic I wonder if Sesame Street should exist at all. . .couldn't parents be teaching kids how to count and read, after all? It's a tool to facilitate learning (and to entertain/sell stuff, of course).

Badmoon, Karamazov80, or any other mods out there. Could you guys edit my poll question so that it reads "Should Sesame Street be discussing the topic of Divorce?" I accidentally typed "by". thanks.

which is all great in theory but the reality is that parents don't talk about a lot of things with their children. I also agree that they should but in the real world they don't so what about those kids? We just ignore them because they have crappy parents? My parents didn't talk to me at all about the divorce - or a lot of other things - i had to figure it out by myself and it would have been nice for a show like that to assure me.
It is a fair point.

But on the topic of divorce, with no healthy outlets, no friends to talk to because they may be too young, bad parents, etc.. kids may not know how to cope by themselves or they may learn to cope in negative ways.

I had to deal with the same issue at 6. Life sucks, and my parents dropped the ball leaving me in the middle of a custody struggle straight through until 13, when I could legally decide where I wanted to live. It's part of growing up in that type of environment and something I certainly blame my parents for. Honestly, I seriously doubt Sesame Street would've made a difference whether or not they broached a topic with Mr. Snuffaluficus coming from a split home or not. :lol

Again, literacy, math and health. As I said earlier with America failing in every one of those categories, seems like the plate should be full already. :huh

Badmoon, Karamazov80, or any other mods out there. Could you guys edit my poll question so that it reads "Should Sesame Street be discussing the topic of Divorce?" I accidentally typed "by". thanks.

I'm not a mod. I'm above them maggots. I'm a demi god overseer. :yess::rotfl

Last edited:
Absolutely.

40% of its young viewers likely have parents that are divorced.

Exactly why.

Honestly, I think you guys are imagining that this is going to get really political or something... It's probably going to be more along the lines of "why does so-and-so only have mom at home, and lives with dad on the weekends?" And one of the other Muppets or adults or whatever will emphasize the fact that they still love them no matter what.

Nothing to get concerned about. The CTW knows what they're doing.

And for the record, I currently regularly watch Sesame Street since we have a fourteen-month old at home. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back