Should primer scape off easily?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Merc

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to prime some plastic pieces with some Liquitex white gesso and I'm finding that it scapes off just as easily as if I hadn't primed and went straight to painting. I'm wondering if I have the wrong idea of primers: are they supposed to offer any protection or just a better surface for the paint to stick to? Like, if I were to prime and paint multiple layers, should accidentally scraping it with a finger nail take off everything down to the original surface?

I'm sure there are a lot of painters here that can and hopefully will offer some advise on this, but here's mine. :) primer is used as a medium between the plastic piece and paint. Ideally, the primer bonds to the plastic and creates a surface that will allow your paint to adhere better. Gesso shouldn't be used as a primer. I've tried several, but model masters gray primer (short spray can) is a good option. It offers a high particulate spray that preserves the detail of the sculpt, and it bonds pretty well. I usually clean the head I'm painting with dish soap and water, make sure its thoroughly rinsed and dried, and use gloves to prevent oil from my fingers getting on the sculpt. Then I'll apply several light coats until the head is covered enough. then paint.

Another vital ingredient to protecting paint work, and I may argue more important, is a good sealer. I use model masters matte lacquer spray in the same type of spray can. again, 2 or 3 light passes with some time to dry in-between.

Lately, I've been casting heads in a semi-transluscent resin and doing light acrylic coats without primer to create skin depth and then seal it with the matte sealer. So I guess you could say its not always absolutely necessary to use primer.

Caine pretty much nailed it... I use the same primer (although I prefer white, just easier to cover white for flesh tones than grey). I use the same clear coat, but will also use testor's dulcoat which is also a spray. It goes on very smoothly and thin, so it's an excellent product for sealing heads.

Is there a good primer recommendation for metal?

Tamiya87061MetalPrimer_wm.jpg

Caine pretty much nailed it... I use the same primer (although I prefer white, just easier to cover white for flesh tones than grey). I use the same clear coat, but will also use testor's dulcoat which is also a spray. It goes on very smoothly and thin, so it's an excellent product for sealing heads.

Galactiboy It doesn't make the skin tone to bright?

Galactiboy It doesn't make the skin tone to bright?

It shouldn't... I guess it all depends on what you are painting. But anytime I've painted something the primer is fully covered. If you are painting any lighter skin tones then I just found it harder to cover the grey primer than covering white.

But in the end my final skin tone is what I determined through the paint... it just takes less coats to cover white.

Back