Should I forget everything I know about Toy collecting.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingZacharyV

Freakalicious
Reaction score
I'm a hardcore toy collector and to justify my purchases I tell myself that they're investments. This mental strategy definitely helps me when it comes to Lego's. I started buying hot toy figures two weeks ago and I'm at 11 figures already, things are getting out of hand but I don't want to stop.
With my other collectibles and toys I've always live buy one rule. NSIB
Mainly for long term value reasons. If I decide not to open an item then I know that I can just hold on to it.
However it seems like Hot Toys are a little different. Is it better to buy a figure that's already been open? If it's opened and was displayed at my local comic store should I still pay MSRP?

howards table.jpg

"You will give me all your money"

:lol welcome to Hot Toys, its easy to get overwhelmed when collecting, I dont know how large scale collectors do it (I suppose they adhere to stricter rules?) anyways it helps to always consider your budget and your space, as far as value, its hard to gauge what can be or become valuable, some things become rare, others modify or create customs that increase value, some people prefer opened and inspected v.s new etc.. but honestly collecting these should be more for the value they are to you in "playing" or displaying them.
When running out of space and cash you can always sell other pieces to accommodate and it will range from loss to profit, i suppose all of these factors are part of the hobby

I'm a hardcore toy collector and to justify my purchases I tell myself that they're investments. This mental strategy definitely helps me when it comes to Lego's. I started buying hot toy figures two weeks ago and I'm at 11 figures already, things are getting out of hand but I don't want to stop.
With my other collectibles and toys I've always live buy one rule. NSIB
Mainly for long term value reasons. If I decide not to open an item then I know that I can just hold on to it.
However it seems like Hot Toys are a little different. Is it better to buy a figure that's already been open? If it's opened and was displayed at my local comic store should I still pay MSRP?

If it's at an LCS, that's considered new unless it's a trade in or whatever

I went 350 figures deep in 18 months. JacktheRipper is right - Get out while you can. I've recently sold 41 figures and I'm reducing my collection by a good two thirds, but it's like pulling hairs out one by one.

Collect because you love them. Collect for yourself. Don't think too much about investment. Some you'll win, some you'll lose.

With most figures and most collectors, it doesn't matter if they're opened because they plan on displaying them anyway.

I went 350 figures deep in 18 months. JacktheRipper is right - Get out while you can. I've recently sold 41 figures and I'm reducing my collection by a good two thirds, but it's like pulling hairs out one by one.

Collect because you love them. Collect for yourself. Don't think too much about investment. Some you'll win, some you'll lose.

With most figures and most collectors, it doesn't matter if they're opened because they plan on displaying them anyway.

Pulling the trigger 350 times in 18 months.
I like your style!!

I found that space is the key factor in restraining budget. I'm not gonna drop $225 (HT)- $1,000 (custom) on a figure to have it sit in a closet, in its box.

Also, one thing to think about - stuff may not retain its value if a better version of the figure comes out later. Example - I snagged a custom Tyler Durden iminime figure at a hefty price because I loved it, but missed out on the initial run. A few years later, Blitzway releases a better version and I take a big loss trying to unload my custom and "upgrade". Whether the custom was "opened/displayed" was probably irrelevant. Yeah, maybe I could have been patient and found someone that wanted the iminime, but that could have taken months, so I sold it for cheap to a really good dude on here, and life goes on.

Welcome to hell. Some things to consider. 1) watch out for nisb older iron man models. Some figures have problems with paint fading and battery leaking. 2) nisb means your figure wasn't inspected. Therefore, could be flawed since Hot Toys does not do a very good quality control job. Sometimes it's better to buy figures that were open, especially on ebay. 3) you might want to consider giving some direction to your collection. Pick some lines and stick to it. Otherwise, you will never be satisfied.

Other than that, good luck and enjoy!!! It's a great hobby.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

Pulling the trigger 350 times in 18 months.
I like you're style!!

It was insane and took me a long time to slow down. Just kept seeing awesome figures. I had to buy every Iron Man at the time and have since learned my lesson on those :lol

Now I'm reducing my collection and keeping figures I really love, like my Rainman DX Dracula set etc. I collect movie props and autographs too - so that's how I got into it, not by being a toy fan.

The problem is, when you start out, every figure looks amazing. Then after a couple of years you realise what ones are and are not. I have all the Hot Toys DXs because I'm a completest, but I truly only care for the DX11 Joker and Jack Sparrow.

So, just make sure you look at a lot of figures online now, rather than buying stuff on a whim.

350 x $200 (per figure) = $70,000

:slap

I have everything logged. My current 1/6 figure collection is a tad higher :lol BUT it's going down! Hoo!

That reminds me, Wor - I need to PM you :lol

if you want your figure's value to stay or rise, avoid any products that has Soft Rubber, Pleather, Vinyl.

those 3 components will guarantee a depreciation.

If you have tons of money, the sky is probably the limit. If you're like me and you have a budget/family/etc..., carefully consider each figure and weigh all the pros and cons of buying them. For example, I got paypal credit so I can get Spock and Kirk from QMX while my funds are low. 1,200 dollars later, I got Spock but I still don't have Kirk and I have several other hot toys instead. I just got 66 Batman and Robin and Vision from Avengers on the way. You just have to control yourself and cherry pick at times. Anywho, I'd say before I got paypal credit I was wise enough but now I'm going insane.

Make sure you pace yourself. You'll regret things if you don't - no matter what kind of money you have.

Enjoy what you have and hold onto it before getting another. It'll make you appreciate them more.

Don't depend on the value of figures, that's always changing, it's not really an investment because it's hard to say what's going to happen in the future. Just look at Lego stuff-some things were super valuable until a better version came along.
Go for the things you really like the most and consider how you display them. I moved and sold some of my bigger stuff because there was no place to put them.

Most HT dont really retain value anymore and keeping them MISB is asking for problems with figures that have pleather/vinyl suits, they will degrade. Open, display and enjoy them but know that very few will appreciate in value.

Back