SDCC Cobra Commander?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do some of you consider this figure to be the most controversial piece of all time?

Maybe we should do a thread or a poll on what some would consider the most controversial piece.

Probably not, I remember Yavin Luke had the same kind of reaction. And it being a Star Wars figures there were more voices to be heard.

Or even German Indy.

Theres others I am sure.

Most Controversial? For me it was the Spooktacular Babysitter variant. After all the hoopla and outcry on the boards about three colored variants to that figure it was jaw dropping to see another hit the ordering block. That figure single handedly ended a lot of people's loyalty to the line.

I agree the Babysitter was pretty controversial but in my humble opinion I think CCC edges just a bit in controversy.

Until Yavin Luke and/or CCC kill off fans of a line or even the line I'll keep Spook Babysitter at the top of my list.

Until Yavin Luke and/or CCC kill off fans of a line or even the line I'll keep Spook Babysitter at the top of my list.

I dont think it was solely the Spook babysitter that did it though, she just happened to be the final straw. Its was a culmination of multiple variants that lead the massive ^^^^^ fest.

I agree it wasn't just the Spook babysitter, the Tactical Operator variants were head scratching as well but as the straw, I'll still keep her on my list as number 1.

Huh....maybe we should do a poll. It'd be a fun one with all of these examples popping up.

I have noticed that The Dead figures haven't been selling that well. I thought the Prophet and Harbinger would sell out but that didn't happen. So maybe the line was scarred by all those variants.

I have noticed that The Dead figures haven't been selling that well. I thought the Prophet and Harbinger would sell out but that didn't happen. So maybe the line was scarred by all those variants.

A lot of folks dropped the line during the variant crisis of '08. The Dead series has really yet to recover. There's still a hearty fanbase but it's no longer what it was. Mostly just cherry pickers with very few completists.

The line was dealt an amazing blow from that some really hardcore collectors who were up for anything/everything DEAD suddenly dropped all of it and left. It'll take really low edition sizes to spark new interest. Even then though it'd be superficial.

A lot of folks dropped the line during the variant crisis of '08. The Dead series has really yet to recover.

Yeah, it was the multiple variants that did it, not just one figure.

But, you have to add in the fact that the dead line took a $20 jump in price at the worst possible time too.

Pricing, more than variants, hurt this line the most.

That was SSC's mistake for thinking that putting them on the Pro would spark interest when if any other figure was made to go on the Buck it'd be those guys. Now that they've done it there isn't going back.

The line was dealt an amazing blow from that some really hardcore collectors who were up for anything/everything DEAD suddenly dropped all of it and left. It'll take really low edition sizes to spark new interest. Even then though it'd be superficial.

Yeah you have a point there. I remember when the Dead line was sizzling red hot. Collectors couldn't get enough zombies. Now it literally is deader than a cold fish.

That's funny because the Harbinger was actualy the first Dead I'd preorder and then when it came time for delivery I nixed him. The $20 price hike was really just to cover the unnessary Pro. body. Shame too, I'd been looking to jump into that line for a while, but I've missed the best ones and the newer ones are too expensive for what you get. For ever new Dead figure I could almost have a Cobra trooper...

Allot affected the Dead line.

1. Multiple caca variants
  2. Higher edition sizes
  3. Multiple releases per year
  4. $20 price increase in a caca economy

Don't forget the Abomination PF. That huge price leap was a huge controversy especially in this economy.

That was just normal Marvel fanfare. Happens with pretty much every Marvel anouncement. Emma Frost PF.....

Should have seen the grey Hulk debacle. That was legendary.

Oh no. I would say that the Marvel PF of recent times that gets the most crap is the Thing PF especially when the standard was rotting just in time for the International exclusive to hit.

[*]Multiple caca variants

This was the hard hit. The variants were cool when you'd get a special Spook one ala The Doctor with Spook but it definitely was too much in too little time.

[*]Higher edition sizes

That is traditional Supply/Demand from SSC. The line got more popular and they were trying to predict the demand.

[*]Multiple releases per year

Again the folks were demanding more.

[*]$20 price increase in a caca economy

A failed attempt to push new interest with the shiny new body.

I would say the first and last reasons were the big ones while the middle two are afterthoughts once everything is said and done.

Back