S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter what they do with his face, fact of the matter is that they still consider this a good enough quality of plastic to use:

maxresdefault.jpg

I always hear BS fans say its a fraction of the cost, but they always forget to mention its a fraction of the quality.

I get the demand for BS figures for characters figuarts may never touch, I really do, but I will never understand how someone can demonize little nitpicky issues on figuarts and then praise the same character in BS for having infinitely worse problems.

I collect both Black Series and SHF. My black series stays carded and goes on the walls because of the soft plastic they're made out of, they all shelf dive. My SHF figures are all open and displayed on a shelf, and rarely shelf dive. BS makes characters and variants that SHF won't. SHF costs more but has better sculpts and paint applications and tends to have more/better accessories.

I love the shore trooper model kit, bought two but still have to build the second one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the shore trooper model kit, bought two but still have to build the second one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done 4 of those (varying degrees of weathering) the Bandai model kits for ships and figures are incredible. Highly recommend the Mafex Shoretropper if you love shoretroopers.

Anakin's head shape is wrong. The forehead is bulbous and wide, and the jawline is too soft. Eye placement is off, and so on.It's strange that they can nail ROTS Obi-Wan, and be so far off the mark with this. It's as if they got their B-team to work on Anakin. I'm not rewarding them for this effort. At $25-30, yeah.

And the comment regarding the Dragon Ball Figuarts, yes they have simpler details, but it requires uncommon skill to translate the animation art to 3D, and they do a great job with them - clearly a priority line for them. They are often the definitive versions compared to the countless PVC statues out there, and most of the regular releases hold their value well in the aftermarket.

What are you smokin. They din't nail nuffin

EYILrAoH_o.jpg

"So off the mark"
ani-comp-03.jpg
You should probably own it or at least see it in hand before making such a comment. Granted it isn't perfect - but it's the best mass produced Anakin Skywalker at this scale on planet Earth as of this posting.

Last edited:

View attachment 430673

"So off the mark"
View attachment 430674

Figure on the left looks like a sweaty ass John Tesh circa 1988. The SHF on the right looks much closer to Hayden but his hair line is receding a bit too much, dudes rocking a fivehead. I agree about Obi-Wan, the Attack of the Clones Obi SHF had a better likeness than this.

I reserve judgement on Obi Wan until I see display or in hand pics as always. Promo pics usually end up looking worse than the final product, case in point ANH Obi Wan.

Well I'm sure they have COMPLETELY different teams working on each IP. The DBZ and the Star Wars line teams have access to the same materials, technology and resources, but are more than likely completely different sets of people. So while I have seen a minimal amount of problems and complaints with their other lines (Except their Marvel stuff has had some hiccups), their Star Wars line and team is constantly slipping further and further down the tube. MEH is becoming the norm with their releases.

Less accessories, sloppy qc, iffy likenesses. Its not good. And then fanboys will defend the ever loving **** out of them, especially when someone mentions oh hey the Black Series are starting to catch up at a fraction of the price (in some ways they are, in others not even close). Thats not how you see improvements to something you're paying them for. Unless you just wanna lap up everything they throw at us regardless of quality, solely because of the brand. Someone once said to me, we should be grateful they're making Star Wars figures for us to purchase in response to complaining about them not meeting their own bar they set for themselves on figures.. No, they should be grateful we consider their products to be high enough caliber to spend $60 on a 6 inch plastic toy.

This right here. Bandai's inconsistency is the problem.

Regardless of their faces and accessories, as long as Black Series figures use ****** soft plastic for their bodies, they will always be a lesser figure than SHF Figures. You keep complaining about this line but tell me where the Black Series is doing for accessories and Mafex gave up on the SW line so they're a mute point now.

Basically it's Black Series and SHF right now and that's it in the 6" game at this point. I'm buying BS figures that SHF will never make, but you can't honestly tell me the BS Anakin figure, even if it gets a face printing release, is a better figure than the SHF.

Of course not. Saying Black Series is catching up in SOME areas doesn't mean they've surpassed SHF or have even caught up. They're CATCHING up in SOME areas. That Anakin they made is just a terrible TERRIBLE sculpt to begin with. And its like 5 years old lol. They're essentially putting lipstick on a pig by updating it with photo real lol.

There aren't many figures to DIRECTLY compare. The only one, I think, we have is Rey. And while the Figuarts Rey is an OVERALL better figure. I find the Black Series Rey to a smidge better in its likeness than the Figuarts Rey. Who has large anime looking eyes and a head shape thats ever so slightly off. But people will hear me say one part of one figure is slightly better than Figuarts and hear me claiming the entire thing is better, and the figuarts is trash LOL.

What TBS is putting out is a great value at $20. As someone who collects both, they're not going to replace a figuarts version 99% of the time. BUT there are times where TBS makes more sense. I have little interest in spending $50 to $60 on a old man Tarkin who comes with kung fu articulation, some extra hands and two slightly different faces. Scowling and Scowler. Which, based on their recent releases, are a crap shoot if the likeness will be good or not.

My ultimate point is

Black Series continues to push themselves forward while Figuarts sits on their hands and gets lazy. They put out more and more improved likenesses with every iteration of their face printing. They listen to complaints, use better plastic for their accessories and continue to add more articulation to their figures. Figuarts faces have been very hit or miss lately, more miss than hit. Or you get 50/50 where 1 of the 2 faces looks good, maybe even spot on, and the other looks like the actors stunt double. And they add "accessories" to pad out the box like two versions of a faux holster (1 with the blaster in it and 1 with nothing in it but you can't actually use it). Instead of anything actually worth while. They just gave us an extra expensive Ach-To Luke who came with a necklace he can't wear, hands that can't hold things, and an open and closed version of a compass. Instead of somethings more meaningful like his backpack, walking stick and the lighting rod. Which at least could have been used to re-enact actual moments in the film.

View attachment 430673

"So off the mark"
View attachment 430674
You should probably own it or at least see it in hand before making such a comment. Granted it isn't perfect - but it's the best mass produced Anakin Skywalker at this scale on planet Earth as of this posting.

The soy is strong with this one. Your investment is safe as long as you enjoy it, brah. I'm entitled to make my own observations.

I guess if you want consistency, then Black Series is the solution, considering they consistently pump out MEH figures with 1 accessory, which is usually one of three different gun molds or a lightsaber.

The soy is strong with this one. Your investment is safe as long as you enjoy it, brah. I'm entitled to make my own observations.

Sure you are but you don't own it or have never seen it in hand. And that's the problem.

:goodpost::goodpost:

Being overly critical about something you have no intention of ever owning Amanaman pretty much makes your "observation" totally null and void. To review or criticize a product you have to have it IN HAND, thats what makes an argument valid. Pretty much everyone on here and folk that I know totally changed their minds on Anakin once they had him in hand, the only people bad mouthing him now seem to be BS fans, go figure.

The mind boggles when folk say that figuarts arent innovating while BS keeps advancing. Hasbro is among the laziest toy makers in the world, heck their Marvel line seems to only have a few base body molds reused hundreds of times for goodness sake, and like Green Goblin said, those "extra" accessories usually consist of the same molds over and over.

Being overly critical about something you have no intention of ever owning Amanaman pretty much makes your "observation" totally null and void. To review or criticize a product you have to have it IN HAND, thats what makes an argument valid. Pretty much everyone on here and folk that I know totally changed their minds on Anakin once they had him in hand, the only people bad mouthing him now seem to be BS fans, go figure.

The mind boggles when folk say that figuarts arent innovating while BS keeps advancing. Hasbro is among the laziest toy makers in the world, heck their Marvel line seems to only have a few base body molds reused hundreds of times for goodness sake, and like Green Goblin said, those "extra" accessories usually consist of the same molds over and over.

You might want go back a few posts lol. This is my point. Figuarts fan boys can't wrap their heads around genuine constructive criticism of the line. Therea always have to be some B S excuse made for why someone doesn't like something othere than the figure has issues people might not like.

Two of the three Anakin heads look nothing like Anakin. They look like his stunt double. One is OK but kind of soft and baby faced looking. It looks younger than he did in Ep2.

Does it look better than the Black Series? Beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Does that excuse them for so badly missing the mark with their OWN attempt and charging a premium for it rather than holding onto it until the sculpt was up to snuff? Hell no.

The only thing that changed when I got mine in hand was that a DIFFERENT head looked looked terrible and the one I thought was originally terrible turned out to be OK.

gotta get your eyes checked if you can't see the likeness to Anakin in at least 2 of the three face plates. Even the screaming one manages to look like him, not a strong likeness, but it looks like him.

Saying that they don't look like him at all, while coming in here and praising the black series just makes you look like a deluded black series fanboy.

You're not paying a "premium" for these figures solely for the head. You're also paying for the higher quality plastic and higher number of plastic parts.

gotta get your eyes checked if you can't see the likeness to Anakin in at least 2 of the three face plates. Even the screaming one manages to look like him, not a strong likeness, but it looks like him.

Saying that they don't look like him at all, while coming in here and praising the black series just makes you look like a deluded black series fanboy.

You're not paying a "premium" for these figures solely for the head. You're also paying for the higher quality plastic and higher number of plastic parts.

And then you have to pay to have them shipped to you and in some cases that includes import duties. People often forget these are like $40 in the native land.

To be fair to Amanaman regarding ROTS Kenobi, and to myself for claiming these are often much better in hand, i'd like to rescind my comment on ROTS Kenobi. As of now, no comment on ROTS Kenobi.

Comparing The Black Series to Marvel Legends also puts the Black Series to shame. That line has build-a-figures, often times more than one accessory, sometimes extra head sculpts. And even though they reuse base bodies most of the time, they are a better value than Black Series figures. Black Series pumps out waves of like 3 or 4 figures 4 times a year, and at least half of most waves consist of reused molds like Clones, Stormtroopers, and now Imperials.

As far as I can see, the only advantage to the BS is that they're producing characters like Admiral Piett, who SHF will never touch, because they only make characters people actually care about.

This thread is going to be unbearable when SHF finally gets around to ESB figures and more people in here start whipping out their microscopes to examine a picture of a figure that will be larger than the figure itself, and complain that there's a print pattern on Bespin Han's cheek or something.

Not a fan boy of anything, I buy it all. And that's my point. I don't let money spent blind my perception. If people want to just throw money at them for the brand and dismiss valid criticisms that could help improve the line, that's their choice. But do you think Figurts made a point of directing people's attention to Vader improved height for the ANH release because of the people who wave away every criticism directed at the brand as if they personally have to defend the brands honor? Or the fact that they improved it at all from the terrible first one?

Back