S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tamashii are on a whole other level with that though wolfstark; Hasbro may occasionally put out the odd "who on earth is that" type character, but Tamashii needs to be certain they wont lose money on it before they will even consider it.

That's why I think it would be a good idea for them to let the potential costumers give them their opinion, so they can see what the people would like to buy. With Bandai it's not like it's with Hasbro, they are not on the shelves in Europe or the USA (well at the moment it is), so they aren't dependend from the impulse buyers anyways but only from the collectors and at least in the beginning and the pre-phase from the Hasbro votes, we can clearly see that there are a lot of characters they are willing to buy if they get the opportunity. I think no one should underestimate the interest in the "obscure" characters at least if we talk about the level of the well known comics, books and TV series with Thrawn, Mara Jade, Darth Talon and Ahsoka and not things like Grand Moff Tracta.

This is my highly specific wishlist, only main characters from each movie;
On green are the ones already released and/or announced.

A New Hope

R2-D2
C-3PO
Luke Skywalker
Princess Leia
Han Solo
Chewbacca

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Imperial Stormtrooper
Darth Vader

I'm hoping to complete a Kenner 12-back run in 1/12, which is entirely possible given we now have (and will receive):

Bandai Vader (albeit with custom cloak);
Bandai C3PO (albeit weathered to taste);
Bandai R2D2 (albeit weathered to taste);
Bandai Imperial Stormtrooper;
SH Figuarts Luke Skywalker (farmboy);
SH Figuarts Han Solo;
SH Figuarts Chewbacca.

I don't think 6" ANH Leia, Tusken Raider, Jawa, Ben Kenobi and Death Squad (Star) Commander are at all improbable between Bandai and SH Figuarts, given the renewed interest in ANH that Rogue One will likely engender. Indeed, even though the ultra lame Hasbro Black Series has only offered up 3 or 4 figures worth the purchase price (Greedo, Boba Fett, Bossk, Jabba and Boushh [albeit with helmet on!]), there is a 6" Tusken Raider forthcoming in that line...

Even if Bandai did a poll, they would only be taking into account the Japanese demographic because that is who they are catering to. The results would likely be quite different from what you would anticipate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if Bandai did a poll, they would only be taking into account the Japanese demographic because that is who they are catering to. The results would likely be quite different from what you would anticipate.

Absolutly possible! I don't know the configuration of the japanese Star Wars fandom, maybe they never read the Zahn books or watched the TV series but let us not forget that Bandai is aware of their foreign costumer base, the Forbes article made that pretty clear. I think it is safe to assume that a great percentage of their figures are sold to the US and Europe but I know japanese companies and they have a tendency to be very focused on their own market, even if half or more of their costumers are foreign. So I don't expect a poll or that they go beyond the movies but both would make sense and is not out of the world.

14440645_10210563690069229_8943016232781872816_n.jpg

Exclusive? (pic from rebelscum forums)

Mafex is doing a clone trooper now too folks, comes with both heads:

MAFEX-Clone-Trooper-002.jpg

MAFEX-Clone-Trooper-006.jpg

Only issue is the usual, the shoulder pads are connected to the chest instead of the shoulder joint, so looks weird in some positions.

Also releasing a sandtrooper, which looks great.

MAFEX-Sandrooper-001.jpg

I'm off MAFEX anyway as I'm not crazy about their final products, but that sandtrooper (while not a bad looking figure overall) looks way too ROTJ to me -- much like their 1/6 version did.

IMO the BS6" sandtrooper -- especially with minor re-touching to fix the paint -- is probably the best 6" version to date.

IMO, MAFEX final product is, in some cases, even worse than BS. Also there are the constant delays... since the line was anmounced in 2014, they have shown 13 figures, but only 3 have been released.
If the reasons were the control quality, no problem, but it's just the opposite. I see a cancellation of the line in a near future.

Enviat des del meu GT-I9505 usant Tapatalk

On the face of it, Mafex are there if you can't get something else for any other reason. Cheaper, army builder, nothing better at the time, heeeere's Mafex!

I completely agree, at least in terms of articulation QC. The paint apps and details are usually on point though, but you are both right, that doesnt make up for loose or badly designed joints.

Im honestly not a fan of mafex either; Vader was good but every review of their figures since put me right off. Some folk like them though so I always post pics when I see them

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I completely agree, at least in terms of articulation QC. The paint apps and details are usually on point though, but you are both right, that doesnt make up for loose or badly designed joints.

Im honestly not a fan of mafex either; Vader was good but every review of their figures since put me right off. Some folk like them though so I always post pics when I see them

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah, the articulation is the most common complaint, but there are also the materials they use for cover pieces. Darth Vader chesplate looks like a bad Halloween costume in person, it bends and takes weird shapes. The standard for shoulder pieces are a nightmare. The fabric cape is poorly attached with superglue.
The Stormtrooper is yellowing.
Buf... I was not expecting all those issues looking at the promo pics. That's actually the same game that plays Hasbro, but to me is more serious because MAFEX is almost double the BS price and almost the same that S.H. Figuarts, which design and quality control is excellent.
It's sad to see Medicom falling in that way... I remember their awesome RAH 12" and the Kubricks...

On the face of it, Mafex are there if you can't get something else for any other reason. Cheaper, army builder, nothing better at the time, heeeere's Mafex!

I feel it should either be something I'm happy to put on the shelf or nothing at all. I hate the idea of "fillers" -- waste of money and time.

I feel it should either be something I'm happy to put on the shelf or nothing at all. I hate the idea of "fillers" -- waste of money and time.

Exactly. That's the problem with all the current 1/12 lines. Any of them are actually filling themselves, and eventually, that drives us to look on third parties.
I have to say, thanks to this forum, I've learned to stay on my chosen line and ignore the rest. That is; focus on what I have, not on what I don't have.
The things will happen when they have to happen. High quality. Low quantity. Some japanese philosophy. S.H. Figuarts for ever.

Back