S.H. Figuarts Star Wars

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Han arrived. Haven't bothered photographing it yet, but I think I'll be flipping it on Ebay tonight to make my money back. What an astonishingly disappointing figure, it's honestly bootleg-tier compared to Jedi Luke, Mace Windu, Bruce Lee, and the other realistic humans I've picked up from Tamashii. Very plastic-y, the boots especially look and feel like something you'd see on a Black Series figure. They managed to hit everything but the rivets on his belt with silver paint, and there's brown paint slop on the scope of his holstered blaster. The unholstered blaster is pretty disappointing too, really soft and lacking in detail compared to their earlier work. And then there's the hands - well-painted and shaded but covered in casting flash and seam lines, and the paint only serves to emphasise how badly-cast they are.

Between this, the horrible paint applications on my shoretroopers, and Jango Fett being an ungodly mess of a figure, I think I'm done with Figuarts Star Wars for the foreseeable. If the droids turn out good I'll pick them up after release, but unless I see a hike in quality they're not getting any more money out of me. Guess I should be grateful all the R1 stormies I ordered came out more or less flawless.

I hope I don't regret selling off my Black Series Han.... the Figuarts is still obviously better but for a price that I'm not sure is worth it considering how he's turned out.

I hope I don't regret selling off my Black Series Han.... the Figuarts is still obviously better but for a price that I'm not sure is worth it considering how he's turned out.

I still love the figure like crazy, and you'll absolutely be happier with him over the Black Series. I was just pointing out how something may have changed in production.

Mine looks exactly like this facially:

:gah: It appears that I got the bright blue eyed Han as well. I have some eye decals that are 1/12 scale I got from Arrow Graphics that I am going to try. I don't like to paint production figures unless I have extra parts, like heads etc. The decals could be removed if I didn't like them or wanted to sell Han off in the future.
View attachment 328993

Unlike their other figures, it doesn't look good under even lighting or even at arm's length - and I had to soak the head in hot water because the nose had been crushed by the packaging. Being in the UK, Figuarts are not much more expensive to me than trying to buy Black Series locally, so it's generally a no-brainer, but if we're talking $20 vs $55, no this thing is not worth the extra money. First time I've ever said that about a Figuarts product, even Jango Fett didn't upset me that badly with its generally crappy quality and design.

Is it possible the production Han came from a different factory than the others?

I know there are some NECA figures that look better than others due to a factory switch, perhaps this is the opposite?

Is it possible the production Han came from a different factory than the others?

I know there are some NECA figures that look better than others due to a factory switch, perhaps this is the opposite?

I'm actually wondering if there's two batches of Hans produced in two different factories. The ones that people seem to like and that look good in photos, and the ones with low-res .gif face printing and blue eyes...

please don't throw tomatoes, but the paint on those Hans isn't all that good considering the cost of these figures. $80-$120 each, correct? And can they afford to not hide those joints way better? And Chewie does look very very very good. Hope the final is as good as the protos!

The paint on my Han looks amazing. Almost flawless.

Right there with you. I've read the critical comments over the last couple of pages, and I am gonna presume that these fine folks are seeing something my old eyes just can't see. I just stare and stare at this figure, amazed at how awesome it is. The paint apps are flawless, it's got that SHF heft, and everything looks crisp and detailed. I love everything about this figure, and it may be one of my favorites of the entire line. It looks like Harrison Ford to me, and - jeez - they even gave him chest hair!!! I can gush about this figure.

Right there with you. I've read the critical comments over the last couple of pages, and I am gonna presume that these fine folks are seeing something my old eyes just can't see. I just stare and stare at this figure, amazed at how awesome it is. The paint apps are flawless, it's got that SHF heft, and everything looks crisp and detailed. I love everything about this figure, and it may be one of my favorites of the entire line. It looks like Harrison Ford to me, and - jeez - they even gave him chest hair!!! I can gush about this figure.

If you are happy with it, then I am happy for you. I guess I am just way too critical.

:gah: It appears that I got the bright blue eyed Han as well. I have some eye decals that are 1/12 scale I got from Arrow Graphics that I am going to try. I don't like to paint production figures unless I have extra parts, like heads etc. The decals could be removed if I didn't like them or wanted to sell Han off in the future.
View attachment 328993
Very interested in seeing this
I've seen it done in 1/6, and am really considering it as my go to method for 1/12

Some pics of my Han head after fixing the nose with warm water immersion.
Zu7X5zy.jpg

8f7N7vr.jpg

Looks better in photos than in-hand, which is a reversal for this line. For reference, my Jedi Luke and Bruce Lee, shot on the same desk under the same lights:

HER1XW1.jpg

The hands are really badly-cast. Full of flash, fissures and other nastiness.

2QIQUOs.jpg

Hasbro-level paint masking on the back of the belt.

FDBYmsR.jpg

Next stop Ebay.

Fixed the eyes with the decals. Acceptable. The flash caught the glare off a decal, but you do not see it in person.
20170309_175105-1.jpg

I think it's great, but one figure is better than the other.....how could you not love the attached?IMG-20170309-WA0062.jpg

Ps. I also got lucky with his eyes and brown hair with less highlights...especially at the front :)

Man, wth happened Bandi? Never thought they would drop the ball this badly on such a major release. The more I see of him the more inclined I feel to save some money and pass.

I will probably try to pick him up sometime down the road, but he's not a must get right now.

Back