RW dio - Should the Frodo exc come on a bigger base?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you want the Frodo exc. to come with an extra bit of base?

• Yes, it would improve it and make it a definate purchase for me!

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • No, i'll still get it just how it looks, inferior though it be (What??!!)

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
Pff.

Oh, look, the poll is 24 - 7 in the favour of the guy who couldn't get the statue. Maybe SS could add a bit more base to link the two together and let my wait list convert? By the way SS, I'm JonladY2K!! Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Even aside from the fact that this "diorama" would have looked a LOT better with a decent base, SS let us almost "count" on some of the surroundings, or at least a recognisable base, based upon the diorama's we've already gotten from them in the past.

Apart from the very first (which I, again, wouldn't call a diorama as practically nothing of the surroundings of Mt. Doom was included) and the Eagle Vs. Fell Beast, all diorama's from Lord of the Rings had at least some surroundings/environment in them. Especially with the pricetag this dio had, (almost) everybody was expecting at least something that made it recognisable that this was on the top of Weathertop. When it's time to pre-order the thing and you see absolutely nothing like that, people are (rightfully) disappointed.

Going from: "Cool, I'm excited to buy this! I can't wait to see what it looks like!" to "Holy ****! Is this ALL??" in just a matter of minutes. It looks ridiculous seperately. Period. The Ringwraiths look cool, Frodo looks awesome, but the seperation between the two bases is complete nonsense, and by some people purely justified by saying "Otherwise SS wouldn't be able to sell the regular version as the base would be half empty" (i.e. Frodo not there).

Frodo shouldn't have been a "companion piece", it should have been included in the regular version.

Just my opinion, of course. :p

The first thing I thought of when I saw the pics on Thursday was, "The 2 pieces look like they were designed to slip down into an Amon-Sul enviro." It would be incredible if they did release something like that as a companion piece. Has SS ever done anything like that?

Even aside from the fact that this "diorama" would have looked a LOT better with a decent base, SS let us almost "count" on some of the surroundings, or at least a recognisable base, based upon the diorama's we've already gotten from them in the past.

Apart from the very first (which I, again, wouldn't call a diorama as practically nothing of the surroundings of Mt. Doom was included) and the Eagle Vs. Fell Beast, all diorama's from Lord of the Rings had at least some surroundings/environment in them. Especially with the pricetag this dio had, (almost) everybody was expecting at least something that made it recognisable that this was on the top of Weathertop. When it's time to pre-order the thing and you see absolutely nothing like that, people are (rightfully) disappointed.

Going from: "Cool, I'm excited to buy this! I can't wait to see what it looks like!" to "Holy ****! Is this ALL??" in just a matter of minutes. It looks ridiculous seperately. Period. The Ringwraiths look cool, Frodo looks awesome, but the seperation between the two bases is complete nonsense, and by some people purely justified by saying "Otherwise SS wouldn't be able to sell the regular version as the base would be half empty" (i.e. Frodo not there).

Frodo shouldn't have been a "companion piece", it should have been included in the regular version.

Just my opinion, of course. :p

So you didnt get one either I take it.......:naughty

Must just be us Dutch fools who think like that. ;)

No it's not I agree totally with Polylord I said that in an earlier thread. Frodo should have been part of this dio from the start. I've got the Ex but I don't think there should have been an Ex with this dio given it's significance in the trilogy, it's a pivotal moment and I think it was overlooked and underestimated by making Frodo an extra, thats just my opinion of course but there you go. To me it's like making Gandalf an extra in the The Treachery of Saruman v Gandalf dio, the RWs are advancing on Frodo for the Ring in what was a VERY significant moment , he should not be left out or made exclusive in the name of hype, commerciality or collectilbility. Yes I know for all the RW lovers that the piece will look cool displayed as is, BUT it is STILL supposed to be the Weathertop scene and to me that should have included Frodo, preferably on the same base. I think that's crap Sideshow and that's my opinion.

I also agree that SS should have made it as one piece and whilst i think its still pretty :cool: it could have been so much better.....so much.:D

Not trying to justify my whinging here, but haven't things been changed before because of fan reaction? Didn't the hair on the Galadriel PF change because of that reason, or were they going to do that anyway?

Not trying to justify my whinging here, but haven't things been changed before because of fan reaction? Didn't the hair on the Galadriel PF change because of that reason, or were they going to do that anyway?

Very true, but the doll hair was horrific looking and chances are that PF would still be available had SS not gone with poly hair instead. Sure SS listened to us, but the writing was on the wall with that one whereas I'm pretty sure they knew this one was going to be a smash hit regardless of the base issue.

I ordered the excl. and will definitely be keeping it no matter what. Sure I would have loved a one piece base, larger and more inticrately detailed, but it is what it is.....Still, the wraiths look amazing and Frodo looks just like Elijah Wood [IMO the best representation we've ever gotten] so as far as I'm concerned the pluses overshadow the negatives by a country mile.

Very true, but the doll hair was horrific looking and chances are that PF would still be available had SS not gone with poly hair instead. Sure SS listened to us, but the writing was on the wall with that one whereas I'm pretty sure they knew this one was going to be a smash hit regardless of the base issue.

I ordered the excl. and will definitely be keeping it no matter what. Sure I would have loved a one piece base, larger and more inticrately detailed, but it is what it is.....Still, the wraiths look amazing and Frodo looks just like Elijah Wood [IMO the best representation we've ever gotten] so as far as I'm concerned the pluses overshadow the negatives by a country mile.

Ok Woodsy if you keep creepin into my brain and stealing what I really want to say well there will be consequences...........:lol:lol:lol

Ok Woodsy if you keep creepin into my brain and stealing what I really want to say well there will be consequences...........:lol:lol:lol

:rotfl We certainly do seem to have a tendancy of stealing each other's thunder on occasion....make that most of the time. :naughty

Back