Resident Evil Tyrant VL 1:6 Quick Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiva

Super Freak
Reaction score
I have always been on the fence about getting this piece. I and im sure the majority of the RE fan base would love a great representation of Tyrant. And i am pretty sure that Majority would see a Hot Toys Tyrant as a grail figure. But it is most likely never going to happen. So i decided to make the leap and order this statue. I have heard about it but there was always very little in the way of actual talk about it on the internet. 2 Small clips in youtube, a custom on here a while ago and a hand full of in-hand pictures on google.

I do not usually do reviews but i feel so strongly that this is not in the hands of enough people that its criminal. I am guilty of being late in the game but i seem to be one of the only in the game.

So, Gaya Virtual Legends Tyrant lets go!

Packing

DSCF2310.jpg

DSCF2312.jpg

There is not much to the art work to be honest. It is a couple of pictures of the item you are getting and promotion's for other items in the line. (And a big Biohazard symbol on one side, would much rather the Umbrella logo).

However, the packaging itself as a means to protect the item is superb. Thick rigid cardboard with 2 thick pieces of polystyrene that house the statue and base inside.

Overall the artwork leave's alot to be desired but at the end of the day it is housing a heavy statue and in that instance i would take security over aesthetics.

Sculpt / Paint

DSCF2313.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

The sculpting is great on this piece. Well to be honest i think it is great. The face and claw arm have a lot more detail than id expect. The base is also superb and VERY heavy. The paint is perfect for what it is. It looks a bit "dry" like it could do with layer of gloss or something but at the same time the organs and other mutated parts of him are glossy so it makes a nice contrast between the body. I do not feel the need for a repaint on mine. I also think the dry look helps it feel like a video game statue.

The base is pretty mind blowing. The diorama base is twice as big and 3x as heavy as any HT diorama base i have owned. I also think it is cooler than any released. The broken glass tube is clear thin flexible plastic (same as for the shards on the ground) so there is some give in them. But i fear it would be easy to snap if you put too much pressure on it. The statue has 2 metal pegs in the feet which plug into 2 holes on the base (1 in tube 1 on the floor) they hold the statue up well. No fear of it falling over. The hole's are also not really visible so you can use it for other figures to display. And given the size you could probably put 2 figures on it.

The sculpt doesnt really leave anything to be desired. It is in a pose which is semi-action and semi-casual so depending if you put another figure "interacting" with it you can change how it appears.

Now, for the reason i am making the review. Because it is what i could never find!

Compatibility with Hot Toys as a display piece

I see a little silhouette of a Tyrant...

DSCF2321.jpg

This picture is pretty much the best representation of the size between the Statue and HT Alice figure. Putting them both together kind of blur's the line between scale.

DSCF2318.jpg

He is kind of mid-stride so is dropping some height but having them both together in hand i am pretty happy that the Scale is close enough. It could maybe be a tad taller to be first video game scale but it really doesnt matter that much. He is probably HT Predator height with legs stretched. So i am not thinking he looks under scaled when i see him.

DSCF2323.jpg

Overall i am extremely pleased with this item. I got it hoping it would be a great display piece of Tyrant AND be able to mingle with the rest of my 1:6 figures. It does both fantastically. The packing is very secure, sculpt is great and i am more than satisfied with the paint. The statue and base themselves are very heavy and sturdy.

Value for money? This is why i think it is nuts. You can pick these up for £40 on ebay. The quality of this piece is astounding for the price of 1/5 of a hot toy figure. Looking at Tyrant and Alice together you would not think you could buy 5 Tyrants for the price of her.

I cannot give this item less than 5/5 for what it is. If it was the price of a HCG Axeman and £120 i would of been more strict and doc it a point for pretty basic box art or shape of the foot or something. But then i would just be looking for faults to feel bad about the price i paid. But for £40 i will not take anything away from it.

All though this is a pretty concise review i understand there is not much talk at all about this piece on the web so if there is any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
You really should. Would fit right in with what you have now and your Billy Birkin custom

It may look better, but if it is their version of 1:6 it will be under scale as they usually just call anything thats 12" 1:6 (even if the characters are meant to be alot bigger). And some of the paintwork they put out makes things look like cartoons. IMO they should stay away from human characters all together as they cannot pull them off with a realistic look.

Their value for money wouldnt also be near as good as their item would literally be 4x the cost of this at least during initial release.

I was really looking forward to the 1:6 Axeman coming out and i think it looks terrific but there is 0 chance i can buy it because of his under size.

It is a shame that the William Birkin G mutation from this line VL is a tad underscaled too. It looks awesome but it would have to be a stand alone statue as it kind of looks 1:7

Last edited:
It's a great statue, but he's too short as well. Even Mr. X is taller than that if he were in 1/6 scale.

It may look better, but if it is their version of 1:6 it will be under scale as they usually just call anything thats 12" 1:6 (even if the characters are meant to be alot bigger). And some of the paintwork they put out makes things look like cartoons. IMO they should stay away from human characters all together as they cannot pull them off with a realistic look.

Their value for money wouldnt also be near as good as their item would literally be 4x the cost of this at least during initial release.

I was really looking forward to the 1:6 Axeman coming out and i think it looks terrific but there is 0 chance i can buy it because of his under size.

It is a shame that the William Birkin G mutation from this line VL is a tad underscaled too. It looks awesome but it would have to be a stand alone statue as it kind of looks 1:7

The scales for the monsters are a lot larger than the human counterparts. Nemesis is quarter scales and the licker dio is 15" in height, so I'm pretty sure theyre going to do Tyrant the same scale as w/nemesis. They must have goofed on size for axeman. How tall does he stand? Less than 21"? As for the cost, its pretty affordable w/the flex pay payment plans. A lot better than paying a whole lot up front. Don't get me wrong though, your Tyrant looks excellent, but I think it could have used a bit more detail to it.

The scales for the monsters are a lot larger than the human counterparts. Nemesis is quarter scales and the licker dio is 15" in height, so I'm pretty sure theyre going to do Tyrant the same scale as w/nemesis. They must have goofed on size for axeman. How tall does he stand? Less than 21"?
The Nemesis 1:4 statue looks like its going to be in actuality about 1:5. The Licker diorama is awesome but the Licker is quite small (there is pictures of it with other figures) and the axeman is roughly 12" (top of the head) but he is "1:6" but is the same height as regular HT figures where as he should be much bigger which is why i think if they did a 1:6 Tyrant, even if he was bigger than the Axeman he would still be around the same height as this.

And i dont have personal connection to this Statue, id love a HCG one too. I just dont think they can top it. It would have to be 1:4 scale because i dont think it can compete on the 1:6

Last edited:
Gah, just got my digi cam back after my brother borrowed it a few days ago. took a bunch of pictures. Only to find that the camera no longer connects with the leads anymore, nor can it connect to the charger.

As i did intend to reply to this post with a bunch of scale pics.

So here have a crap old phone picture!

It's a great statue, but he's too short as well. Even Mr. X is taller than that if he were in 1/6 scale.
He is shorter than Remake Tyrant, but here he is with no base, next to a ht chris with no base

15b84153.jpg

Its not like his "undersize" will take away from his intimidation whilst with the other HT figures

Back