Red Sonja PF!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That image is scary. Looks like she is possessed. Well, Halloween is coming up, so I guess it fits. Lol.

Overall nice sculpt. This will def. need a repaint if I am going to keep it though.Not the same girl I saw at comic-con :dunno

sonja.jpg

a9b0d1b227b38fd3391247775e3c95cc.jpg

Great pictures and a really nice layout you got there Jedi . But I really want to know exactly were did Vader's light saber end up.

Theoretically, I completely understand (and probably agree) with this.
An axe is nowhere as interesting, attention getting, or just plain cool as a fantasy villains savagely severed head.

The problem is the severed head is not related well to this exact pose.

1) Her expression (or lack there of) doesn't mesh with the savagery of holding an enemy's severed head aloft
2) Ditto for the casualness of her body attitude
3) the particular way she is holding the head is awkward (arm straight up at 90 degrees; the awkward angle of her fist), and because she isn't bracing her shoulder against her jaw, the artist is not imparting a sense of the head having any substantial weight to it. In fact, the way it is swinging away (when it should be falling straight down and right in her face given the orientation of her arm) implies that it is hollow and full of helium.
I see nothing in this piece that 'sells' the narrative they are trying to illustrate.

so yeah, the head looks cool- but it's a big fail in terms of execution of the piece as a whole statement.

JMO, of course. YMMV and probably will.

Mose, your posts are always refreshingly good.

As Mose points out, lighting of the statue will change during the course of the day, from window illumination to artificial light in the evening. The paint job on this piece seems best served by as much light as possible; the darker skin and shaded facial highlights appear more "ghoulish" in darker light, with the bland lip color blending in strangely and unattractively. When lights are turned on, however, the cadaverous look vanishes and Sonja's face appears quite beautiful. This strange color scheme will always suffer when compared to the original, far more intelligent conception (not only featured on the convention prototype, but on the product box as well). Still, the Sonja sculpt itself is truly spectacular, a real knockout that even a inexplicably spooky paint job can't ruin.

So she's a two face!

Seinfeld_.jpg

Everyone....here is my reassessment of the Red Sonja Ex. PF.

Better pictures aren't going to change the fact the skin tone is off...even the color of the snow. She looks closer to a lady that is biracial than a Norwegian / Scandinavian girl. With that being said, and finally getting the belt figured out (missed the belt buckle part) :cuckoo:....this is a pretty righteous statue. Now, I am keeping her for the time being...until she shoots up in value so I can get a little profit for her OR ARH or some other company makes a better RS...something that won't be easy to do.

Pros:

1) Base outside of the snow is pretty good.
2) The sculpted details on her clothes and chain mail parts are pretty good.
3) The QC is pretty solid (nothing glaringly wrong)
4) Tony Cipriano did a great sculpt (very curvaceous)
5) The decapitated head is done very well.
6) The mixed media cape is very nicely done.

Cons:

1) The skin tone is off (darker than how I picture her to look).
2) The color of the snow on the base is gray...not white.
3) The eyes are not like they were advertised. The reason for this is the iris is too small and the pupils are too big. More black pupil than green iris.

My assessment = if you are HUMONGOUS Red Sonja fan....you should like the sculpt but be very upset with the skin tone. Lots of nice details on the statue itself and the helmet on the base is pretty nice. After getting her in hand...just like Thor, you are going to have to display her maybe a little lower than usual as she is looking up...not quite as much as the Thor PF, but close enough.

Overall = 8 / 10.

I had to reassess this piece after figuring out how to put her belt on and getting everything looking as she should. I can't believe I completely missed the belt buckle which the belt goes through. Talk about feeling like an idiot.
Anyways, outside of wishing her skin tone was lighter and her irises bigger and the pupils smaller...there is really nothing bad I can say about this statue.

When you don't have a statue correctly assembled, it can kind of piss you off. Once put together properly, I felt much better about this purchase.

Grats to SS on pretty amazing piece. In the way of female statues, I am surprised this went well in the QC department. Very well actually.

My apologies to all for harsher review that I previously posted. I was wrong.

Thinking about canceling this order that I have coming for the exclusive. Do you think I should at least wait for it to arrive next week or just cancel. Have to be selective about my statue ordering from now on, and since I have Superman EX coming soon and XM Studios Hawkeye coming, it makes this more difficult. Any advice is appreciated.

From the pics, RS paintjob looks like a primer coat, not actual skin-tone paint. Looks like they forgot to paint anything on her except the hair and eyeballs. Even her lips are this primer tone color

Thinking about canceling this order that I have coming for the exclusive. Do you think I should at least wait for it to arrive next week or just cancel. Have to be selective about my statue ordering from now on, and since I have Superman EX coming soon and XM Studios Hawkeye coming, it makes this more difficult. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm in the same position. a week or so back I got my 20 day notice on the Supe EX...AND I just made a huge non statue purchase last week.
It's so bad right now I had to call up my CC and have them raise my credit limit and I was still skating too close that I had to put another CC on file with SS for this one.
After Supe and Allied Cap comes though, I won't have anything else pre-ordered with SS, and I may just be done with this hobby for a while.

As for what you should do...Even with my criticism of this piece, I still let the order go through. If I'd canceled before it shipped, I would have always wondered how much of my criticism might have been muted or negated in person and under my particular display conditions. I still may or may not keep it, but I want to give it a second and third look first. And the fact is- despite my feeling that the EX here is not well integrated and consequently not as worthy of displaying as is the axe option- when/if it got sold down the line, the EX would be much easier to move and retain more of it's value. And I already had the order in, so I just let it slide.

It's up to you and how comfortably you can (financially) squeeze by this bottleneck. Worst case scenario is you get it, you look it over and it doesn't look as compelling in person and you return it and get most of the money back or shifted to Superman.

Wow really! Sups looks amazing on the pics I have seen. And you tube videos.

yeah. I'm much more looking forward to Supes than I am this Sonja. I have quibbles with Supes too, but overall it looks to be an excellent representation of the character as I've seen him for most of my life. If he had come in first, I may have been more inclined to have cancelled Sonja outright.

Back