RECAST ALERT: Sideshow & Sideshow Weta LOTR items !!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an real one, it's better the seller can show the outer box and brown shipper if possible.

No, it's NOT real. And I will tell you why. (but I'm more curious why you claim it's real).

The 'wrapping paper' depicted is the stuff Sideshow uses now.

Back then, when the Cave Troll and many more (all of) SSW collectibles were released, it was actual paper. These statues were one production run. So they were all packaged the same. Why would the seller have the foam packaging and not the color box? Takes up the SAME SPACE.

These are recasts. And BTW, I remember several months ago someone questioning Daddy Rog APs sold on eBay being recasts, same issue. After 7+ years someone happens to discover a seemingly endless parade of Balrog of Moria Artist Proofs. Wow. I do own a Daddy Rog AP and mine has an impeccable pedigree. Directly from Sideshow. ;)

And someone here claimed to have had "several" of them in his collection before and it was supposedly real.

It's from China. The 'wrong' wrapping paper. At least 5 of them listed in a period of 3 months (I stopped checking soon enough). All of them APs.

Nuff said.

Beren

Recasts are terrible! :lecture:lecture

If someone spots a recast of the Orthanc environment, please make sure to notify me so that I may investigate further... :monkey3

:wink1:

That's a terrible request to make and you should send your entire collection to me immediately as punishment (genuine articles only :wink1:)

How to distinguish between a fake and real sideshow statue?

Hi guys

I been wanting to buy some statues recently from ebay, but as they are international sellers am a bit worried of them being counterfit or recasts, is there anyway you can distinguish a fake from a real? any tips and hints would be highly appreciated, dont want to waste my money on fakes :(
regards

Re: How to distinguish between a fake and real sideshow statue?

is there a serial number or anything on the statue which can be traced with sideshow company or anything to check is a real one?

Hi lotrcollector,

I saw your other thread about the weird Ringwraith on Steed, so I hope this thread is more for everyone's knowledge as opposed to learning how to sell more recasts.

If it is a legitimate question, then can you tell us what auctions you are looking at in particular and from what sellers so we call all weigh in?

Hi guys

I been wanting to buy some statues recently from ebay, but as they are international sellers am a bit worried of them being counterfit or recasts, is there anyway you can distinguish a fake from a real? any tips and hints would be highly appreciated, dont want to waste my money on fakes :(
regards
Thread merged with the 'LOTR Recast' thread.
x :duff

Just a heads up that our friendly neighbourhood recasters dmkworkshop have an original 'Balrong (as per the outer shipping carton)' for sale:
Auction No- 260812600208

They also are advertising other LOTR pieces including a RWOS that they admit they do not have the styro for.

They appear to have many items for sale at the mo. Their Weta Argonath enviro comes in all its original Sideshow packaging apparently :duh :lol

I'm not saying all their listings are fake/recasts but it is known these peeps are recasters so just be careful if bidding, know what you may (or may not) be getting into with them.
x :peace

Wow! I didn't know how much recasting this company was doing.
They need to be shut down and anyone buying their stuff should be ashamed.

If they "recast" and slap a sideshow label on it, it's wrong... But if it's not marked SSC and it's from the same factory that made them for Ssc, then what?

If they "recast" and slap a sideshow label on it, it's wrong... But if it's not marked SSC and it's from the same factory that made them for Ssc, then what?

it's still fake and illegal, the sculpt and paint are all done by sideshow and cannot be reproduced without permission. Also just because it's made in the same factory doesnt mean it's same quality, probably done at night with a different crew and no QC.

i have no sympathy for anyone who got a fake from china, if you are stupid enough to buy those highend statues off an ebay seller in china, you deserve it.

The sad part is looking at his positive feedback, most people have no clue those are fake.

It pisses me off a little...I have an early early Balrog Proof(Not artist proof)that I've owned since these came out over 9 years ago and have been so proud of it...It came with no outer box but original styro...The boxes werent even made yet...The colors are somewhat brighter too...It would piss me off if someone told me it was fake if I was to sell it.....I believe 100% that the chinese one is fake.

Last edited:
Back