Question on varnish on head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewblock

Super Freak
Reaction score
What kind of varnish do most painters use on the head sculpt to achieve a skin like texture after it's fully painted?
Is it a matte varnish or semi-gloss/satin varnish?

I use Testor's Dullcote. Matte-est varnish and easy enough to use. Click on my signature to see the finished results it yields.

Thank you Gdb. I've also used Testor's Dullcote and I'm very satisfied with the result but some people told me I should add a slight sheen to the face for more realistic skin so I was thinking about brushing a small amount satin varnish on the face.

Yeah, skin looks better with a slight sheen to it. Never used testor's so can't comment on that finish. If you have to brush a satin/semi-gloss varnish (rather than spray it), water it down with distilled water to take the shine down a bit. Try a spot on the back of the neck first, see if it's too shiny...if so, more water. If you thin it with thinner you'll attack the paint underneath.

Yeah, skin looks better with a slight sheen to it. Never used testor's so can't comment on that finish. If you have to brush a satin/semi-gloss varnish (rather than spray it), water it down with distilled water to take the shine down a bit. Try a spot on the back of the neck first, see if it's too shiny...if so, more water. If you thin it with thinner you'll attack the paint underneath.

Thank you for your advice. I've just brushed a satin varnish but I didn't think about watering it down with water. I'll try that now :)

Back