Question on SW Books

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillingYouGuy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
I have never read a single SW book, if I want to get started - what is a good beginning book / author?
Thanks, - KYG

Last edited:
If you're an OT guy, begin at the beginning... Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command). Those three set up a ton of what happens throughout all the other post-OT books. Plus, the vast majority of readers that I know of think they're some of the best EU as well.

My personal recommendation would be to read Karen Traviss' "Republic Commando" books, but I'll admit I'm a pretty big fan of military fiction and her books are strongly leaning that way. She's a pretty polarizing author... SW people love her or hate her vehemently.

If you like OT era stuff you should start off with the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command) as these were some of the first EU books.

Other good ones are Shadows of the Empire, the X-Wing Squadron series, The courtship of Princess Leia, and Deathtroopers. But it all depends also on how you want to read the novels, like chronologically or whatever peaks your interest.

Also Legacy of the Force is a great series to and the Commando books are another good suggestion.

If you're an OT guy, begin at the beginning... Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn Trilogy" (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command). Those three set up a ton of what happens throughout all the other post-OT books. Plus, the vast majority of readers that I know of think they're some of the best EU as well.

My personal recommendation would be to read Karen Traviss' "Republic Commando" books, but I'll admit I'm a pretty big fan of military fiction and her books are strongly leaning that way. She's a pretty polarizing author... SW people love her or hate her vehemently.

I have just taken on this task as well, only EU after the OT:

I stared with the Thrawn Trilogy. Once I finished that I went on to the Jedi Academy trilogy. Once I did that I read I, Jedi. I am trying to get to The New Jedi Order so next I am reading the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy.

100% truth. zahn's books are a great starting point.

fqrizzo...have you read traviss' gears of war stuff yet?

1. Karpyshyn's Darth Bane books. They take place before any of the other novels. Of the 40 Star Wars books I've read, they stand out as my favorites.

2. Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy + Outbound Flight and Survivors Quest

3. The five Republic Commando Books, especially Triple Zero.

4. Michael Reaves' Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. If you like that one his Medstar duology he wrote with Steve Perry is worth looking at.

5. Steve Perry's Shadows of the Empire (the bridge between EPV and EPVI)

100% truth. zahn's books are a great starting point.

fqrizzo...have you read traviss' gears of war stuff yet?

Since FQRizzo copy/pasted what I wrote I'll answer...

Yep, read the first 2 (3rd isn't out yet AFAIK) and liked 'em both. The second Gears book wasn't as good I found... kinda' dull after the first. Hopefully the 3rd will pick back up.

Her original works (Wess'har series) is absolutely phenomenal! I'd recommend reading that to any person even remotely interested in reading some good sci-fi.

yah, i really liked the 1st gears book. haven't finished the 2nd yet.

The way the 2nd ends I'm hoping is a lead into something big for the 3rd.

Back on the subject of SW books, now that I'm home I've looked at my library I realize I forgot to suggest the X-Wing series! Totally forgot about those earlier. Loads of fun to be had reading those.

1. Karpyshyn's Darth Bane books. They take place before any of the other novels. Of the 40 Star Wars books I've read, they stand out as my favorites.

2. Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy + Outbound Flight and Survivors Quest

3. The five Republic Commando Books, especially Triple Zero.

4. Michael Reaves' Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter. If you like that one his Medstar duology he wrote with Steve Perry is worth looking at.

5. Steve Perry's Shadows of the Empire (the bridge between EPV and EPVI)

These are all great books, but I'd like to add all of the Darth Bane books to the list.

I like the way this guy thinks :) These would be my only EU recommendations.

The only other tip I can offer is this: Avoid anything Kevin J Anderson has his fingers in. His actual writing style is decent, but his characterization of established Star Wars characters leaves a lot to be desired, many of his sub-plots are rediculous (Lando and Han gambling for the Falcon every 5 damn minutes), and his books are pretty formulaic (what's the galaxy-destroying weapon this week?)

Zahn's trilogy is great as is his outbound flight and Allegiance, (one of my favorite SW books)

I also highly suggest the The Jedi Academy trilogy, which was really good as well.

Shadows of the Empire.

Excellent choices- the Thrawn Trilogy, I agree, sets up the rest of the EU- Anything Karen Travis writes is superb! Her Republic Commando novels are outstanding stuff. Getting into the hearts and minds of the Clones, the Mandalorian drill sgts who trained them as well as the Mandalore culture. GREAT stuff! Triple Zero- reigns supreme! Karen Travis breathes such life into the characters, you won't believe it. I was hooked by a line from one of the characters, when on a misson in the jungle, is rubbing mud on his white armor: "This white armor might be good for a parade, but when I get back, I'm putting in for some matte black armor!" :rotfl:rotfl

She not only does a great job w/ the Clones and Mandalore characters, she even has her own suit of Republic Commando armor! Back on clonetroopers.net a group helped equip her in the distinctive black armor of Omega Squad.

Tales from Jabba's Palace, Tales from Mos Eisley! Oh YES! Great stuff! You'll find out how Boba Fett escapes finally from the Sarlacc! :banana

I just finished reading the Yungzhan Vong series. A truly massive series and it was frickin incredible! Coruscant is taken by the galaxy's invaders! It starts small and gets absolutely huge! Luke Skywalker's character gets even better. You'll love the Solo children: Anakin, Jacen and Jaina. I never read the series where they are kids- they are bad ass Jedi in this series. There are numerous very interesting characters in this series. From Jedi Knights & Masters who disagree with Luke on how to fight the invaders, to the Republic and it's Senators, to the Yungzhan Vong themselves. Good stuff here. Stuff that you won't want to put down.

After the Yungzhan Vong is the Joiner King trilogy- a whole 'nother direction for our fearless Jedi-

After that- the fall of Jacen Solo as he turns from one uber tough Jedi to- Darth Cadeus. Lots of good reading in this series and ultimately, a favored character is killed. Thought provoking to the end.

It's still getting better with the series currently- Luke and his son Ben in "exile" trying to solve a Jedi mystery illness affecting young Jedi-
Ben's character begins to get really good in the above Jacen Solo/Darth Cadeus work, and gets better still in the current works.

And, if you remember Luke Skywalker from the movies, the above stories take it waaaay farther. Grandmaster Luke Skywalker is unquestioningly the baddest dude in the galaxy.

Back