PS3 Blu Question .....

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOTRFan

The Grey Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am noticing that every so often, not frequently by any means my sound will cut out for barely even a second or so while watching movies. My TV is connected with HDMI and the surround is set up with an optical cable, anyone have this happen?

My PS3 is still under warranty, is this common? It doesn't skip or stall the film, just a VERY brief drop off in sound.

:dunno

It's not your PS3 it's your surround sound, I have the same problem but it's only with the surround sound, when I watch a movie without it, there are no problems. But it only happens like after and hour or so and only for a split second.

Had that happen now and then with my old surround system but have had better luck with the new one. From my homework it did sound like it was an issue with the signal being sent to the sound system via HDMI and slight processing delays in rare cases.

Last edited:
Sorry buddy, never had that happen either.

I use my PS3 as both my BR and main DVD player so it gets a lot of use too.

It could be your optical cable. I know some cables have an end that can pivot. If the end isn't perfectly lined up then the sound will go in and out. Check both ends and make sure they are perfectly straight going in to the PS3 and Sound System.

This was my Dad's problem a while back that lasted for months. He told me and I fixed it in one minute and I thought he would kiss me. :)

Thanks for the help, it doesn't happen all that often (not even once a movie; more like every second or third) and as I mentioned it goes quiet for less than 2 seconds. My receiver is a bit older (hence the optical cable), so I am assuming that is the problem.

I appreciate the responses. :drink

I also have this problem, but haven't had time to mess with it. I usually have all the sound options checked for the PS3 set up. I was going to uncheck most of them and see what happens, or just change the wires.

The problem I have is the video signal would black out for about 2-5 seconds even though the sound was still fine. So, I chalked that up to an issue with either the HDMI cable or the TV I own. I havent confirmed if this is an issue with another HDMI cable or TV I have (too lazy).

I've had the problem, but I always assumed it was the layer switch on the DVD and didn't really worry about it. It's never more than a second or less.

I've had the problem, but I always assumed it was the layer switch on the DVD and didn't really worry about it. It's never more than a second or less.

That's good with me, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a PS3 issue.

Back