Prometheus Sequel (ALIEN: Covenant)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched this on blu-ray last night, first time since seeing it once in the theater.

I find this to just be a straight up entertaining monster flick. Gorgeous cinematography, great visuals, production design, and a (quite literally in some parts) truly pulse pounding score. Yes Billy Crudup's character is shockingly foolhardy and important safety protocols are either non-existent or just outright ignored but even those aspects serve as a pretty apt commentary on today's society.

The crew of the Covenant are friends and married couples, not marines or space truckers who don't really give a crap about one another. There's no WAY you can expect any given person to act sensibly and follow the appropriate protocols when his/her *spouse* is screaming in terror over a headset. Also Crudup's foolhardiness gets muddied when you consider that his very wife was prompting him to be lax on account of looking ahead to living with people who will be their friends and neighbors. So he was trying to lead but also be politically correct with all of his peers. Not a good combination but one that is all to prevalent in our current reality.

Audiences seem to universally despise this crew for not properly vetting the new planet or its inhabitants. One "alien" that does not look like them destroys **** while another alien that *does* look like one of them is a total wolf in sheep's clothing. But the crew wants to be inclusive and tolerant and hold hands and just do whatever seems right in their own minds at any given moment without any regard for common sense and all hell breaks loose. Are they stupid? In many cases, absolutely yes. But the Covenant's crew is made up of people with the exact same mindset as a very large portion of our current population.

Just think about it for a second, if there was a colony ship leaving the earth *right now* who would be first in line to jump ship from this planet? Those who are pro-borders and strict vetting procedures? Hell no, it'd be the Lena Dunhams, Chelsea Handlers, and every Angela Merkel who could fit into a space suit. The smart astronauts probably took one look at the politicians and chief officers of the crew and said "hell no, I'm no going out with those crazies."

Does that make the crew of the Covenant "bad guys" in my mind? No, they are misguided and victimized and in a few cases quite likable. But they definitely make their own bed and are forced to lie in it and I wonder if it just hits a little too close to home for many who watched it.

Finally got up the nerve to check this out. Really pretentious. The flute crap and mashing Prometheus, Alien and even Blade Runner(the whole can androids love and feel like humans bit). Dumb characters and did I mention the flute? Such a far cry from the original claustrophobic terror set in ALIEN.

Watched this on blu-ray last night, first time since seeing it once in the theater.

I find this to just be a straight up entertaining monster flick. Gorgeous cinematography, great visuals, production design, and a (quite literally in some parts) truly pulse pounding score. Yes Billy Crudup's character is shockingly foolhardy and important safety protocols are either non-existent or just outright ignored but even those aspects serve as a pretty apt commentary on today's society.

The crew of the Covenant are friends and married couples, not marines or space truckers who don't really give a crap about one another. There's no WAY you can expect any given person to act sensibly and follow the appropriate protocols when his/her *spouse* is screaming in terror over a headset. Also Crudup's foolhardiness gets muddied when you consider that his very wife was prompting him to be lax on account of looking ahead to living with people who will be their friends and neighbors. So he was trying to lead but also be politically correct with all of his peers. Not a good combination but one that is all to prevalent in our current reality.

Audiences seem to universally despise this crew for not properly vetting the new planet or its inhabitants. One "alien" that does not look like them destroys **** while another alien that *does* look like one of them is a total wolf in sheep's clothing. But the crew wants to be inclusive and tolerant and hold hands and just do whatever seems right in their own minds at any given moment without any regard for common sense and all hell breaks loose. Are they stupid? In many cases, absolutely yes. But the Covenant's crew is made up of people with the exact same mindset as a very large portion of our current population.

Just think about it for a second, if there was a colony ship leaving the earth *right now* who would be first in line to jump ship from this planet? Those who are pro-borders and strict vetting procedures? Hell no, it'd be the Lena Dunhams, Chelsea Handlers, and every Angela Merkel who could fit into a space suit. The smart astronauts probably took one look at the politicians and chief officers of the crew and said "hell no, I'm no going out with those crazies."

Does that make the crew of the Covenant "bad guys" in my mind? No, they are misguided and victimized and in a few cases quite likable. But they definitely make their own bed and are forced to lie in it and I wonder if it just hits a little too close to home for many who watched it.

the only way to really enjoy it is to ignore what it's supposed to be and just take it as a stand alone face value monster movie in space with a ship of fooles.

Finally got up the nerve to check this out. Really pretentious. The flute crap and mashing Prometheus, Alien and even Blade Runner(the whole can androids love and feel like humans bit). Dumb characters and did I mention the flute? Such a far cry from the original claustrophobic terror set in ALIEN.

Nah, it was fine.

did I mention the flute?

9751511_orig.gif

I still like the film.. I wish Scott would be allowed to finish it because I love the David Character...

This is strictly alternate Universe Alien for me though... I dont like them as true prequels to ALIEN but as Alternate Universe films I find them enjoyable.

For me The Alien Films all end up in a different Universe or time line. Which I can fully accept as their own realities and thus never inter fear with my enjoyment.

1st - ALIEN and ALIENS - I don't allow the Downer of ALIEN 3 ruin what it ultimately a happy ending for our heroes.

2nd - ALIEN through Alien 3 - But I do love Alien 3 and thus I accept this as an alternate time line.

3rd - Alien Resurrection - This is fan fiction. I don't consider this part of any Universe. I don;t care for the film at all.

4th - Prometheus and Alien Covenant - These films don't take place in the original Alien Universe.. But are great films about a new universe with very familiar Monsters and sets :)

5th - AVP films - More Fan fiction.. Blah.

I still like the film.. I wish Scott would be allowed to finish it because I love the David Character...

This is strictly alternate Universe Alien for me though... I dont like them as true prequels to ALIEN but as Alternate Universe films I find them enjoyable.

For me The Alien Films all end up in a different Universe or time line. Which I can fully accept as their own realities and thus never inter fear with my enjoyment.

1st - ALIEN and ALIENS - I don't allow the Downer of ALIEN 3 ruin what it ultimately a happy ending for our heroes.

2nd - ALIEN through Alien 3 - But I do love Alien 3 and thus I accept this as an alternate time line.

3rd - Alien Resurrection - This is fan fiction. I don't consider this part of any Universe. I don;t care for the film at all.

4th - Prometheus and Alien Covenant - These films don't take place in the original Alien Universe.. But are great films about a new universe with very familiar Monsters and sets :)

Agreed with all....other than calling Prometheus and Covenant 'great' but I am able to enjoy them in their own right.

That's exactly the way it is for me, especially concerning the maligned Prometheus and Covenant. I broke with the continuity after Resurrection, F Whedon!

Covenant is my third favorite move in the franchise. Not the third best though as I'd rank Alien 3 higher from a filmmaking standpoint. I kind of have three canons as well. ALIEN/ALIENS. A1/A2/A3. Prometheus/Covenant. And then all the silly crap. I see Prometheus as a straight reboot therefore it doesn't step on ALIEN's toes any more than Batman 89 and Batman Begins step on each other. Two different starting points for series' with shared subject matter.

The characters in Covenant are ridiculously foolish but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying watching them try to deal with the peril they placed themselves in. Definitely a "check your brain at the door" monster movie thrill ride and that's okay.

I dont even care how dumb the people are,
But the movie gets so boring once david shows...
When everyone sits down inside the temple to rest, the movie stops to a halt.
Any tension and momentum from the first neomorph attack is completely gone.
The beheading attack was too quick.

That flute scene is ridiculous indulgence. The robot fight was stupid and took away from the tension of the humans running from the alien...

The movie needed less david, more neomorph.
Riddley's crush on Fasbender was cringe worthy. I know david was important for the story, but creating the entire movie around him ruined it.

I dont even care how dumb the people are,
But the movie gets so boring once david shows...
When everyone sits down inside the temple to rest, the movie stops to a halt.
Any tension and momentum from the first neomorph attack is completely gone.
The beheading attack was too quick.

That flute scene is ridiculous indulgence. The robot fight was stupid and took away from the tension of the humans running from the alien...

The movie needed less david, more neomorph.
Riddley's crush on Fasbender was cringe worthy. I know david was important for the story, but creating the entire movie around him ruined it.

I can't really argue with any of that. It cannot be said enough that the proto Xeno or whatever it's called is the weakest link in the film.

There was no way to make that creature scary again IMO. Covenant not only failed to do it but it went one worse by reducing what was the main antagonist of the original movie to a quickly-dispatched end note to a prequel movie. So now if you take all of them as canon and watch them in chronological sequence...well, it just doesn't work.

There was no way to make that creature scary again IMO.

I disagree. I think it's all in how it is filmed. I could easily watch the live-action Flintstones movie and conclude that John Goodman isn't remotely scary. But then if I immediately put in the blu-ray for 10 Cloverfield Lane...

Sharks kind of became a joke after Jaws 3-D, Jaws The Revenge and Deep Blue Sea but then Open Water came out and made them scary again. I think one of the most important aspects for movies like these is to present characters that we like and are invested in and that we don't want to die. Then we can worry and be afraid for them even if they're up against a familiar beast or bad guy played by an actor who used to do silly comedies or what have you.

Obviously the foolishness of the characters in Covenant had most people rooting for the aliens so they obviously failed in that regard, lol.

Covenant not only failed to do it but it went one worse by reducing what was the main antagonist of the original movie to a quickly-dispatched end note to a prequel movie. So now if you take all of them as canon and watch them in chronological sequence...well, it just doesn't work.

One thing that really struck me listening to the Ridley Scott commentary track for Covenant was his comment that he watched the original ALIEN again before making Covenant and that it was so old and so far removed from who he currently is that he almost felt like he was watching a movie directed by someone else. BOOM. If that doesn't totally nuke the thought that "well it has to be canon since it was made by the same guy" then I don't know what will. When these directors go make sequels or prequels decades later it might as well be a brand new filmmaker because for all intents and purposes they ARE different filmmakers.

Which is why we're seeing guys like Abrams and Edwards making SW films better than Lucas did with the prequels and why Neil Blomkamp just might be a better choice for an ALIEN flick than the man who started it all.

The characters in Covenant are ridiculously foolish but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying watching them try to deal with the peril they placed themselves in. Definitely a "check your brain at the door" monster movie thrill ride and that's okay.[/QUOTE]

I would have preferred a straight up monster movie to this. The pacing was all over the place. Scott said in regards to the original ALIEN that once the beast was out you have to keep the tension up. He cut the victim/egg morphing scene because he felt at that point in the movie it slowed the pace down. In AC he kills the tension by having the alien scenes in-between the Fasbender plot trying desperately to be so profound. It's not my least favourite in the series but I find it light years behind ALIEN and ALIENS.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 34
Back