Premier Toys Wasteland Gladiator 1/6th figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main concern is with the size of the hs, either the body has a very wide torso (easily fixed with a body change),
or the head seems a little on the squashed side.

I knew something bad was brewing in...
Another shorter body may fix it, but probably not.

I am about to receive the figure and I am also thinking of returning it.
When a company states that the leg brace is metal and they actually sell the figure with a plastic one,
that's called deceit and gives us every right to send it back.
I will inspect the figure myself and if the bad things I am reading are accurate,
there 's no way I am toshing $192 down the drain.

The argument that $200 for this is a fair price does not hold up. Look at the Exo 6 Star Trek releases...the same price...and VASTLY differing quality...

When a company states that the leg brace is metal and they actually sell the figure with a plastic one,
that's called deceit and gives us every right to send it back.

I agree with this.

Although, it does say "metal leg brace detail"... so is there any metal details at all? That would cover their ass. I'm always wary of the word "detail" in figure descriptions.

It’s definitely pricey. Especially when compared to Threezero’s Rambo 3, which I think is far superior.

After checking out the figure I’ve decided to keep it as it’s a good start to kitbash a better Road Warrior. I’ll be keeping an eye out on eBay for parts from the other two.

I think people expect WAY too much from a niche 3rd party seller at this price. Add 50 dollars to the price and I could understand the gripes.
As a buyer of alot of non HT figures, its always a crap shoot, but if you into modding and working on a figure , its paradise!

If the Warlord figure comes out anything like the proto, as this one has, Ill be super happy!

The tiny head is the biggest crime.

When they care third party companies can do work that rivals Hot Toys, and even beat them when it comes to attention to detail (e.g., LiM Toys).

The good parts of the Premier are the jacket and trousers. The shoulder armour is obviously too small though.

The boots are good, but because they sculpted the leg brace to them, you have to take that as a bundle.

Then they begin to mess things up by gluing the holster to the leg, so that the belt and Sam Browne won't sit correctly. An easy fix luckily.

The holster straps themselves have buckles, but they aren't placed where they actually work to tighten the straps. So they're always loose.

The way they designed the leg brace also means that their straps are loose as well, and don't give the appearance that the brace would be very functional. They're also in danger of coming away from the pegs, or ripping as one did.

The holster is too small for the shotgun.

The shotgun hinge not being able to keep the barrels closed.

The shells being two different sizes. Never had that before!

The cheapest looking hard plastic knife.

The axe looks like a good copy of the real thing, but the handle is too long.

The pouch flap that can't close over the spanner.

The binoculars don't have the leather button strap shown on the proto.

The body is uncooperative, and too tall for Mel.

And that silly, tiny sculpt with its melancholic eyes.

This isn't a usual third party figure. I have masses of third party and the quality and care put into their creations is generally higher than this.

This smacks of chancers, like Toys Works when they did their Jessica Jones bait and switch. Thankfully it's a rarity rather than the norm these days.

Will they up their game for Immortan Joe, or try to get away with it again?

Don't scare me with Immortan Joe. I actually PO'd that one. And I never PO.

My confidence is pretty low now.

I think a bigger sculpt for Max would transform the figure, and help me forget all the issues, some of which are either solved - such as double sided tape for the shotgun and wayward jacket lapel, or because they're hidden at the back of the figure.

I wonder now whether they left his shirt untucked on purpose, so that it appeared to make the jacket longer, due to where they glued the holster straps on the trouser leg.

But that gives too much credit to them for having any real consideration for the figure.

It really did remind me of BBI figures from 2000, because back then there was a lot less expected from 1/6, and we would be far less critical and far more 'wowed' by what was now possible with 12" toys.

The head did look a little small even on the proto though. So maybe they are consistent between proto and production. Other than the "metal detail".

Also, they did "improve" the knife from the proto... at the cost of the binoculars leather snap.

Toys Era really screwed up with Proxima too, so anyone can do it.

The head did look a little small even on the proto though. So maybe they are consistent between proto and production. Other than the "metal detail".

Also, they did "improve" the knife from the proto... at the cost of the binoculars leather snap.

Toys Era really screwed up with Proxima too, so anyone can do it.

The scale is harder to tell in their photos, or maybe their proto paintwork helped.

In hand I can't ignore the issue. I tried a properly scaled 1/6 sculpt in its place, Eleven's Fury Road Tom Hardy, and the figure looked more in proportion. I'd have left the sculpt on if the skin tone had matched.

Sometimes companies do drop the ball, and sometimes the issues are already there in the prototype.

In this case though there are differences, as with the jacket. The proto was longer so the whole Sam Browne strap, belt, holster, and trouser top combination worked perfectly.

Because they made the production jacket shorter it threw things off, so they left the shirt untucked to try and hide the problem.

That pinhead sculpt turned into the deal-breaker here. Just can't live with it looking like that. I don't dwell on extreme accuracy of details and can be very forgiving and accepting if the figure feels right in representing the character well, but it seems like every single thing is wrong with this one. if at least 3 or 4 things were right (i.e. the head, body and one or two parts of the outfit) then the illusion of the character in 1:6 would be fulfilled and there would be enough to customize with. However, it really does look like there's little to work with from this figure.
I look at the pants bunching at the crotch again and can see that the outfit isn't even tailored well for the body, meaning replacing with another body probably won't help much either. If this figure gave us at least a good reasonably accurate and well tailored biker suit it would be a start.
The sculpt and paint are better than they appear in most photos. But the head is small, indicating that it's a recast.

The pleather looks and feels good. Soft and not too shiny, though the left jacket lapel doesn't want to lay flat. I'll probably have to use double sided tape.

The body is strange. Out of the box his shirt was showing below his jacket, and tucking it in at the back revealed a big gap where the pelvis plugs into the abdomen. I'm not even sure whether the body is plugged together properly as he's quite tall. (About half an inch too tall for Mel Gibson).

The arms don't move where I want them to at the shoulders, but it could be that the joints are stiff.

He'll need to be broken down and rebuilt, and shortening the body may help to offset the small sculpt.

He only comes with two gloved hands, and they aren't designed for holding the shotgun. :slap

The other three hands are just regular flesh sculpts.

I'm not even sure that the leg brace is metal. It feels like plastic, and wasn't at all cold when unboxing.

The shotgun hinge is so loose that it won't keep the barrel in place. It always drops open.

The knife and axe are hard plastic, and reminiscent of figures from around the year 2000 and before. In fact the whole figure is largely reminiscent of a BBI figure from around 2000.

The dog scales okay. It's made of hard rubber and seems to lean over to one side, so I'll probably have to drop him in a mug of hot water and reset his legs.

It's the worst figure I received since Toys Works' bait and switch Jessica Jones.

This is straight out of the box. All I did was tuck his shirt in:

View attachment 553087
pui

Notice also how there's no consistency as to which side the factory put the bend in the tailgate hinge?

It's supposed to be on the inside of the leg, as it was on my figure. The discrepancy showed in the early unboxing photos, and fireman2228's is on the outside of the leg too.

The bend is a lot more subtle on the real costume, and the whole brace a lot closer to the leg, so the point is a little moot, but it's another case where Premier just didn't care as long as they got something out the door.

Dark Toys made both sides identical, but Present seems to have gone for accuracy:

Present Max 4.jpg

But I don't know what happened here:

Present Max 6.jpg

It looks like the inside got bent out of shape during photography.

That pinhead sculpt turned into the deal-breaker here. Just can't live with it looking like that. I don't dwell on extreme accuracy of details and can be very forgiving and accepting if the figure feels right in representing the character well, but it seems like every single thing is wrong with this one. if at least 3 or 4 things were right (i.e. the head, body and one or two parts of the outfit) then the illusion of the character in 1:6 would be fulfilled and there would be enough to customize with. However, it really does look like there's little to work with from this figure.
I look at the pants bunching at the crotch again and can see that the outfit isn't even tailored well for the body, meaning replacing with another body probably won't help much either. If this figure gave us at least a good reasonably accurate and well tailored biker suit it would be a start.

That could be more to do with the crotch grabber. I don't like using waist grabbers over pleather.

This set could probably work on a much smaller body to accommodate the head and short jacket.

But then it would be as out of scale as VTS' Furiosa, which was by contrast a quality figure (albeit not in 1/6 scale).

Damn I don’t know what to do I have him still in preorder and knew he would be just a base, head , body sucks, I should maybe stick to dark toys and present only to build max…

Damn I don’t know what to do I have him still in preorder and knew he would be just a base, head , body sucks, I should maybe stick to dark toys and present only to build max…

If Present's leathers look as good as Premier's, then the entire Present figure would supplant Premier.

Present has the best designed leg brace; workable soft boots; better Sam Browne and holster than Premier; an actual gloved gun hand; larger padded support for the shoulder armour; the multi-tool, and a base that actually says 'Mad Max' rather than 'Wasteland Gladiator'. They'll probably also have a shotgun that'll stay closed without double sided tape!

The only iffy thing is the sculpt. Will it be properly scaled? Will it look okay? All three makes looked off to begin with, but I think I would rather live with a properly scaled sculpt that was 'off', rather than a tiny one that little less 'off'.

I'm going to take the head off mine and leave him displayed like a 1/1 prop costume mannequin, because I think it'll be less off-putting.

At some point there's going to be a better sculpt offered, likely Rocco via Kit.

9B84577A-19E6-4CCA-BF22-F0FEDDB388F3.jpeg

Overall I wouldn’t say it’s terrible. It’ll definitely need some improvements. I was lucky with my shotgun as the hinge for the gun barrels is tight enough to keep it closes but I attached an image of how terrible the arm looks. Also highlighting how the hands don’t grip the shotgun well at all

If Present's leathers look as good as Premier's, then the entire Present figure would supplant Premier.

Present has the best designed leg brace; workable soft boots; better Sam Browne and holster than Premier; an actual gloved gun hand; larger padded support for the shoulder armour; the multi-tool, and a base that actually says 'Mad Max' rather than 'Wasteland Gladiator'. They'll probably also have a shotgun that'll stay closed without double sided tape!

The only iffy thing is the sculpt. Will it be properly scaled? Will it look okay? All three makes looked off to begin with, but I think I would rather live with a properly scaled sculpt that was 'off', rather than a tiny one that little less 'off'.

I'm going to take the head off mine and leave him displayed like a 1/1 prop costume mannequin, because I think it'll be less off-putting.

At some point there's going to be a better sculpt offered, likely Rocco via Kit.

Thank you for this. I’m going to cancel my preorder.
Thank god for in hand reviews and refundable deposits.

I preordered present one just a minute before reading you, cool thing is that it’s actually real leather they say.

For the headsculpt none were good enough right from the start, save maybe dark toys.
About the gloved hands I noticed présent is using Barney Ross hands Wich are not accurate at all no?

I wasn’t aware of Rocco doing sculpt with kit?
this would be awesome to have a good hs for less than 40$.

Overall I wouldn’t say it’s terrible. It’ll definitely need some improvements. I was lucky with my shotgun as the hinge for the gun barrels is tight enough to keep it closes but I attached an image of how terrible the arm looks. Also highlighting how the hands don’t grip the shotgun well at all

The shotgun working on yours speaks of the inconsistency coming out of the factory, as with the way they decided to assemble the leg brace on each figure.

I see you got the knife scabbard with your figure. It was missing from mine, but I think it's an unnecessary extra since Max has the knife tucked into his boot.

The hands are more the kind of relaxed ones that figures come fitted with. So it was unusual for them to make the right one as their only choice for a glove.

Thank you for this. I’m going to cancel my preorder.
Thank god for in hand reviews and refundable deposits.

I preordered present one just a minute before reading you, cool thing is that it’s actually real leather they say.

For the headsculpt none were good enough right from the start, save maybe dark toys.
About the gloved hands I noticed présent is using Barney Ross hands Wich are not accurate at all no?

I wasn’t aware of Rocco doing sculpt with kit?
this would be awesome to have a good hs for less than 40$.

I see what you mean about Present's gloves. I knew the left one was funny.

I took it for granted that Premier's driving gloves with the exposed knuckles were correct.

But in Mad Max 2, the knuckles weren't exposed. But he also had two fingers covered, which makes Present wrong in that regard:

mel-gibson-mad-max-2-the-road-warrior-1981-T01H6G.jpg

I don't know about the wrist strap, but painting his two fingers black could work.

Back