Possible issue with a purchase. (hot toys)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh come, on! Sure it's bad for the health! But don't you think walking in a big city is even worse? Trust me! It may stink but it's not gonna kill you or your kids! Bad food and car fumes will likely do more harm than nicotine residue. And since we'll all die eventually...

Oh come, on! Sure it's bad for the health! But don't you think walking in a big city is even worse? Trust me! It may stink but it's not gonna kill you or your kids! Bad food and car fumes will likely do more harm than nicotine residue. And since we'll all die eventually...

The reason there's a smell is because there's molecules of whatever was burning to produce the smoke embedded in the figure and clothes.
This is NOT brand new, it is considered to be damaged/ used and I, like most serious collectors, wouldn't pay for a new 200 + dollar figure from someone who has either lied or is in denial about the condition of a higher end collectible.

Better or worse than other issues, the fact stands that it is no longer new. Same with items that've been salvaged from a house fire that have a smoke odor.
Why do people mention "from non smoking home" on eBay? Because most folks who want a new item, smoker or not, don't want the new item to have some form of smoke damage. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not considered damage.

If you have to wash it it to be like new, it is not brand new. It contains nicotine /tar residue.....that's not a bonus exclusive accessory.

If everything bought on eBay smelled like smoke, eventually it would become a big deal. Whether one or twenty items from different sellers, it also becomes a hassle if one must wash every single item they received....

It's the principal and the fact of existing damage that's most important here, not how big a deal the opinion of the gravity of the damage.

Re: Possible issue with a purchase (hot toys)

It is a real issue because as a non smoker that thing will stink up your whole display area or room. I purchased a HT Tumbler from someone on here but unfortunately didn't ask if it came from a smoke free home. Took months to get the smell out. One remedy that works get the air freshener and put the figure inside a box with the freshener it worked no smoke smell anymore.

I'd put a figure that smelled like some in a sealed box with an open container of Baking Soda.

Sellers absolutely MUST let potential buyers know they're smokers. I'm sorry - smoke all you want (it's your body and your possessions), but you and your items DO STINK, even if you can no longer smell it yourself. And it's a very strong stench, one that can set off headaches in a lot of people. :ohbfrank:

I bought a pair of star wars Adidas shoes from a person and they reaked of smoke I was besides myself since there almost all fabric and hold the smell. Well it was cold outside say 40s and I told the seller I would try to get out the smell and if not I'd return them. Well 4 days later and the smell was almost completely gone. I have seen many times where putting stinky smoky things in a freezer helps detoxify the smell somehow. I also feel new is new and if your not happy return the item. In my case I was able to get rid of the smell but sometimes it's very difficult and doesn't work well. Best of luck to you

It's definitely an issue and something a seller should disclose. If they didn't or unaware that it's a problem, then you should let them know and request a full refund, partial refund or if that fails, go through Paypal dispute.

Whether you agree with it or not, cigarette smoke will harm a figure and ultimately it's value. Good luck getting anything close to the value of a figure if you list it from a smoking home :lecture

I thought I was gonna find a coal in the box with my custom figures too. :lol It was years ago and I just lived with it since it was a hand built. I recently bought a figure on eBay though and it smelled like an ash tray. Very annoying.

Yeah, I think we all know the custom figure you're talking about. Those Batman figures were rank... he must have been chain smoking non-stop. Even the rubber smelled like cigarettes :lol

You can also bag the figure with a couple dryer sheets. It'll take a week or two, but the sheets should draw the smell out.

Dryer sheets seem to be the best solution for smoky figures. I've used it in the past and while it's not 100% effective, it will knock it down to a point where it's barely noticeable and/or the dryer sheet smell is stronger. But if it's heavily damaged (yellowed) then you're pretty much out of luck as anything strong enough to remove the stain would also damage the clothing.

Back