Possible Hot Toys DC TV license?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cloud and those others are home market characters. As are the Resident evil figures really.

And there is a huge difference in licensing between those characters and the flash or arrow or other characters. Both in cost and manpower to manage. Plus with the video game characters there's a built in base that you know for sure is willing to spend decent money on the product. You don't get that with broadcast tv characters. Not everyone watching pays anything and those that do (cable or satellite) often don't do it just for that show (unless it's iTunes or other downloads and those are very small numbers in comparison). Compare that to the games where everyone essentially has to spend money just to experience it and you have a built in consumer where you don't have that with the tv programs. Same difference with films. All those people are willing to spend time and money on the product, with a larger number of users.

Licensing for flash will be on par with that of Man of steel and has a much smaller viewership and no built in spending..but storm or ezio or RE have much smaller licensing costs and similar (to the tv shows) viewership numbers but every one of those counts as a paying customer.

The cloud and those others are home market characters. As are the Resident evil figures really.

And there is a huge difference in licensing between those characters and the flash or arrow or other characters. Both in cost and manpower to manage. Plus with the video game characters there's a built in base that you know for sure is willing to spend decent money on the product. You don't get that with broadcast tv characters. Not everyone watching pays anything and those that do (cable or satellite) often don't do it just for that show (unless it's iTunes or other downloads and those are very small numbers in comparison). Compare that to the games where everyone essentially has to spend money just to experience it and you have a built in consumer where you don't have that with the tv programs. Same difference with films. All those people are willing to spend time and money on the product, with a larger number of users.

Licensing for flash will be on par with that of Man of steel and has a much smaller viewership and no built in spending..but storm or ezio or RE have much smaller licensing costs and similar (to the tv shows) viewership numbers but every one of those counts as a paying customer.

That...doesn't make any sense. Your speculation is somewhat flawed if you don't mind me saying. Let me take that back...it is VERY flawed. People who buy games already have a built in fanbase and are willing to buy expensive toys because they spent money buying a game? People who watch free TV arent willing to spend money for expensive toys?? It...doesn't make any sense. You make it sound as if the people watching shows like the flash and arrow are casuals, soccer moms if you will, and they don't even know HT exists. And according to your logic, ONLY film goers are willing to spend money on merchandise, because they bought a ticket....please re-read your post and tell me if that makes ANY sense to you. So going by YOUR logic...ALL sales of HT figures are coming from only movie goers...and NONE of them are coming from TV fans...

Hmm...so today i learned, that movie goers and TV viewers are two separate entities. There is NO crossover appeal for either of them. Clearly those that watch flash are casuals and are NOT comicbook fans and don't have money to buy merchandise from the show, and since they're not comic book fans they clearly have no desire to watch another comic book movie...whereas movie goers are all rich mofos hemorrhaging money from the @$$ so thusly are the only ones that can afford expensive toys....

Did I get that right??

You keep on downplaying the built in audience for Tv shows. The flash having over 3.4 million viewers, in the US alone is a small number? We're not evening including WW numbers as well as Internet views...all of that combined push the viewership past 10 million. Are you ignoring that a large portion of that audience happen to be comicbook fans that also watch comicbook movies? They're also the ones that go out there and buy expensive merchandise because gasp! They're fans!

As for the games. RE4 was their first step into the VGM. Game sales of RE4, as admirable as they were at the time, pale in comparison to sales numbers of both RE5 and RE6. Both are capcoms highest selling entries in the long running franchise. And why is that? That's because of video games hitting the mainstream. HT RE4 line was a huge success, and that was when game sales of RE4 hitting the once magical number of 1 million. HT RE5 series was another runaway success. Game sales reflected that in the form of 3 million at the time.

So where ami I going with this? Aside from getting the license and rights to produce DCTV (which shouldn't be a problem with HT-fact), there's literally no other reason for HT to NOT pursue a DCTV line. The fanbase is already built in with the current thousands of HT customers (who happen to be fans of comic book movies and Tv shows), with more in the future should they stop playing it safe with IRON MAN.

This is purely anecdotal, take it as you may, but I feel like it should be shared. A friend of mine that's able to recognize and appreciate HT craftsmanship has never bought a single figure from them due to cost (no surprise there). When I showed him pictures of Marty Mcfly (he's also a big fan of the BTTF series), he said "that's awesome...but I can't get that. It's too much. Y'know what figure I WILL get? Arrow. If they ever made an arrow figure, I will get it." Why? Well, he loves that show. As do I, but he loves it even more.

Sure, it's ONE guy that said it, and he doesn't represent the entire world. But isn't that how it works? All it takes is for that ONE figure and everything goes downhill from there. how many new members have joined over the years saying "this is my first purchase! Very excited!"

So once again, the market is there. It's untapped potential. Attaining the license is easy for HT. all they need to do is stop playing it safe and take a risk where it WILL pay off.

One problem with Flash is that Hot Toys may be anticipating making a figure of the movie Flash (Ezra Miller)--and therefore might not want to have the Grant Gustin Flash competing with it within their own toy lineup. So it seems to me that Supergirl and Green Arrow are probably the figures they should start off with if they want to jump into DC television. If Flash does get made at some point I would prefer the Grant Gustin version myself.

One problem with Flash is that Hot Toys may be anticipating making a figure of the movie Flash (Ezra Miller)--and therefore might not want to have the Grant Gustin Flash competing with it within their own toy lineup. So it seems to me that Supergirl and Green Arrow are probably the figures they should start off with if they want to jump into DC television. If Flash does get made at some point I would prefer the Grant Gustin version myself.

Yes, and I seriously doubt Ezra Miller will be very popular. IMHO, Grant Gustin has done with the character what Christtopher Reeve has done with Superman and he'll be hard to replace, something I would never thought I'd write when I saw the first pictures.. Besides, he has a whole bunch of episodes to define and establish the character when Miller will have 2:30 hrs at best. Not a competition if you ask me.

Yes, and I seriously doubt Ezra Miller will be very popular. IMHO, Grant Gustin has done with the character what Christtopher Reeve has done with Superman and he'll be hard to replace, something I would never thought I'd write when I saw the first pictures.. Besides, he has a whole bunch of episodes to define and establish the character when Miller will have 2:30 hrs at best. Not a competition if you ask me.

Not to mention... The horrible casting choice for the movie Flash. I'm sorry, but when did superheroes/heroines go from being the epitome of physical perfection (and muscular), to a 90 pound kid that my 7 year old niece could kick the crap out of. One punch, and it doesn't matter how fast he is, that wimpy pansy-@$& is dead.

I disagree there. I think if anything Hot Toys should jump in with Flash first, as he's the most popular of the three currently. Not to mention we're 2-3 years out from the movie Flash and fans of the character will probably purchase that version as well because the suits and figures will most likely be very different. It really only helps Hot Toys to produce the figures now, get them out and sold to people who will buy due to Flash hype, and then drop the Ezra Miller version in 2018 with a year-two year gap between the two. I think the two versions will be different enough to not harm sales in any way. It'd be like someone saying, "I bought Chris Reeve Superman and Ben Affleck Batman, so I can pass on the Henry Cavil Superman and Christian Bale Batman." If you're a fan of the character, you'll buy multiple versions of that character just because you like the variations and can make displays of just that character. I currently own every Hot Toys version of Spider-man, Batman, Superman, Captain America, and I'm only missing one Wolverine and Hulk which I do plan to pick up later and I'd buy both versions of Flash in a heartbeat as well just because I only pick up certain characters that I like and like having "evolution in film/video game/tv etc. suits" type displays with them. I think the fact that Hot Toys have made multiple versions of several superheroes (looking at you Iron Man) proves that there is a market for more than just one figure version of a character.

I agree. Grant is the flash, Ezra is also the flash. Two different takes but that shouldn't matter seeing that there will be fans of both. As much as I wish the upcoming JL film cast Grant as their flash, but I'm sure Ezra will bring his A game...and from what I've read from various forums, he's a great actor with great humor.

I don't buy the idea that one release will ruin the others sales potential. It's silly to say that. If that were true, they shouldn't have released Batman '89 during the dark knight craze.

Since when did HT feel threatened by cannibalizing their own market? :) They know they are capable of making needs out of wants. Besides these are 2 separate Flashes, and Miller Flash might still be wanted by many regardless of the film if his portrayal and/or costume would be noteworthy. Also -- Ezra Miller has muscled up since his "Let's Talk About Kevin" (where he is really brilliant); and Flash, like Spidey, can be mistaken as wimpy amongst the bulkier Superman and Shazam as he's supposed to look leaner to compliment his abilities.

Take note -- HT does not care releasing another Ant-Man played by the same actor while the first version are not even on the shelves of those who ordered. And you can see on its specific thread that some people still clicked on the order button despite the fact.

Grant Gustin has done with the character what Christtopher Reeve has done with Superman...
:lol

No. That would be John Wesley Shipp.

Not to mention... The horrible casting choice for the movie Flash. I'm sorry, but when did superheroes/heroines go from being the epitome of physical perfection (and muscular), to a 90 pound kid that my 7 year old niece could kick the crap out of.
2016 Ezra is more buffed than 2016 Grant. :dunno

Wait is Hot Toys making 1/6 CW Flash? Some posts in this thread sound like it's a done deal now.:confused:

Maybe some company other than HT might get the DC TV license. HT has its hands full with all the other properties they currently have and there are other companies like Asmus, ACI, ThreeZero and StarAce who are more than capable of producing excellent quality figures for less $. It would be nice to get some of these characters without having to pay custom prices. The only reason HT would probably grab this license is if it's grandfathered into the contract or as a defensive measure to keep competition off the market.

Maybe some company other than HT might get the DC TV license. HT has its hands full with all the other properties they currently have and there are other companies like Asmus, ACI, ThreeZero and StarAce who are more than capable of producing excellent quality figures for less $. It would be nice to get some of these characters without having to pay custom prices. The only reason HT would probably grab this license is if it's grandfathered into the contract or as a defensive measure to keep competition off the market.

That is true. If Hot Toys got the license I'd be both happy and worried. Happy, because I really want high end 1/6 TV verse characters from both Marvel and DC. Worried, because I'd hope it wasn't another Batman Returns fiasco where they release a two pack four years after the initial announcement and might not make any other requested characters. I'd love to see ThreeZero get the license for DC TV or Marvel Netflix, but I'm still waiting on the ThreeZero figures I have preordered from them like Rick Grimes and all four TMNT with no actual figure in sight after preordering forever ago.

It'd be really upsetting if HT secured the rights to produce sixth scale figures of the DCTV just to prevent other companies from doing so. It wouldn't be the first time. Metal gear comes to mind. Yeah they've released a figure or two, but that was it. Green lantern is another one. They showed a poster at an exhibition and after the movie bombed, they said they canceled the figure because they "couldn't get the costume right".

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with the DCTV. I'm sure other companies such as threezero or 3A have tried to secure them at some point. They're the ones actually making TV based figures.

It'd be really upsetting if HT secured the rights to produce sixth scale figures of the DCTV just to prevent other companies from doing so. It wouldn't be the first time. Metal gear comes to mind. Yeah they've released a figure or two, but that was it. Green lantern is another one. They showed a poster at an exhibition and after the movie bombed, they said they canceled the figure because they "couldn't get the costume right".

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case with the DCTV. I'm sure other companies such as threezero or 3A have tried to secure them at some point. They're the ones actually making TV based figures.

That cancelled Green Lantern figure is still a sore spot for me. I wanted to add him to my DC Heroes display. It's really amazing to me that in the age of comic movies that we're in and the popularity of the medium hitting new highs that we've yet to really get high end versions of Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman. I'll be getting GL from Sideshow and WW from Batman VS Superman, but it's still surprising it took this long.

That...doesn't make any sense. Your speculation is somewhat flawed if you don't mind me saying. Let me take that back...it is VERY flawed. People who buy games already have a built in fanbase and are willing to buy expensive toys because they spent money buying a game? People who watch free TV arent willing to spend money for expensive toys?? It...doesn't make any sense. You make it sound as if the people watching shows like the flash and arrow are casuals, soccer moms if you will, and they don't even know HT exists. And according to your logic, ONLY film goers are willing to spend money on merchandise, because they bought a ticket....please re-read your post and tell me if that makes ANY sense to you. So going by YOUR logic...ALL sales of HT figures are coming from only movie goers...and NONE of them are coming from TV fans...

Hmm...so today i learned, that movie goers and TV viewers are two separate entities. There is NO crossover appeal for either of them. Clearly those that watch flash are casuals and are NOT comicbook fans and don't have money to buy merchandise from the show, and since they're not comic book fans they clearly have no desire to watch another comic book movie...whereas movie goers are all rich mofos hemorrhaging money from the @$$ so thusly are the only ones that can afford expensive toys....

Did I get that right??

You keep on downplaying the built in audience for Tv shows. The flash having over 3.4 million viewers, in the US alone is a small number? We're not evening including WW numbers as well as Internet views...all of that combined push the viewership past 10 million. Are you ignoring that a large portion of that audience happen to be comicbook fans that also watch comicbook movies? They're also the ones that go out there and buy expensive merchandise because gasp! They're fans!

As for the games. RE4 was their first step into the VGM. Game sales of RE4, as admirable as they were at the time, pale in comparison to sales numbers of both RE5 and RE6. Both are capcoms highest selling entries in the long running franchise. And why is that? That's because of video games hitting the mainstream. HT RE4 line was a huge success, and that was when game sales of RE4 hitting the once magical number of 1 million. HT RE5 series was another runaway success. Game sales reflected that in the form of 3 million at the time.

So where ami I going with this? Aside from getting the license and rights to produce DCTV (which shouldn't be a problem with HT-fact), there's literally no other reason for HT to NOT pursue a DCTV line. The fanbase is already built in with the current thousands of HT customers (who happen to be fans of comic book movies and Tv shows), with more in the future should they stop playing it safe with IRON MAN.

This is purely anecdotal, take it as you may, but I feel like it should be shared. A friend of mine that's able to recognize and appreciate HT craftsmanship has never bought a single figure from them due to cost (no surprise there). When I showed him pictures of Marty Mcfly (he's also a big fan of the BTTF series), he said "that's awesome...but I can't get that. It's too much. Y'know what figure I WILL get? Arrow. If they ever made an arrow figure, I will get it." Why? Well, he loves that show. As do I, but he loves it even more.

Sure, it's ONE guy that said it, and he doesn't represent the entire world. But isn't that how it works? All it takes is for that ONE figure and everything goes downhill from there. how many new members have joined over the years saying "this is my first purchase! Very excited!"

So once again, the market is there. It's untapped potential. Attaining the license is easy for HT. all they need to do is stop playing it safe and take a risk where it WILL pay off.

I see why you had a problem with what I said. You didn't seem to understand it. Let me clear it up...

If you have two sets of customers, one that has a 100% history of spending on products to support the license and the other has absolutely NO history to speak of (Except that over the last 50 or so years toy lines based on live action tv shows have more or less been a failure...but let's go with no history to be kind) which one would you invest money into? And then let's say you already have your own developed customer base for the product that has 100% (just so it's clear this would be the video games) and you have almost no base with the other (prison break figures early on, and maybe call the west batman figures tv based both of which didn't do so hot). does that make sense to you know.

And yes, there is some crossover from movie fans to tv shows. But it's a very small amount. Otherwise flash and arrow and AoS and Carter wouldn't average a few hundred thousand 18-35 year old viewers when the films bring in tens of millions.

Tv show (live action adult, not children's cartoons ect) product lines are just not as successful as film, or video game stuff. Don't need to take my word for it. Go to Walmart or tru or eBay or ssc or bbts and compare how many products in the entire world there are for any tv show and out that up against films.

It isn't some grand conspiracy or ignorance by manufacturing people to not make these things. It's been tried over and over and almost always tanks. There are a few exceptions. Got and walking dead for example have some decent product offerings. But both of those have a 20 times (that of any of the comic based shows) audience base as well.

This is not my logic or what I want or how I hope it goes. It's just the way it has gone and is going. I'd personally love figures from the shows. And even some of the older tv stuff like Incredible Hulk and the old Flash tv show would be great.

And it may happen some day. But there's is nothing that indicates it will as of now. It will take a company taking risk and seeing what happens. It's the only way to know for sure. But you can't say it "will" pay off with any confidence. There is absolutely zero history to support that.

Wait is Hot Toys making 1/6 CW Flash? Some posts in this thread sound like it's a done deal now.:confused:

Well the article that was used to start this debate is not any indication of it happening. It was a piece in a magazine about the DC products coming, the movies and tv show backgrounds and had stuff from lots of companies. There's nothing in it that says hot toys has the licensing or wants it. The pages posted have zero to do with hot toys.

I see why you had a problem with what I said. You didn't seem to understand it. Let me clear it up...

If you have two sets of customers, one that has a 100% history of spending on products to support the license and the other has absolutely NO history to speak of (Except that over the last 50 or so years toy lines based on live action tv shows have more or less been a failure...but let's go with no history to be kind) which one would you invest money into? And then let's say you already have your own developed customer base for the product that has 100% (just so it's clear this would be the video games) and you have almost no base with the other (prison break figures early on, and maybe call the west batman figures tv based both of which didn't do so hot). does that make sense to you know.

And yes, there is some crossover from movie fans to tv shows. But it's a very small amount. Otherwise flash and arrow and AoS and Carter wouldn't average a few hundred thousand 18-35 year old viewers when the films bring in tens of millions.

Tv show (live action adult, not children's cartoons ect) product lines are just not as successful as film, or video game stuff. Don't need to take my word for it. Go to Walmart or tru or eBay or ssc or bbts and compare how many products in the entire world there are for any tv show and out that up against films.

It isn't some grand conspiracy or ignorance by manufacturing people to not make these things. It's been tried over and over and almost always tanks. There are a few exceptions. Got and walking dead for example have some decent product offerings. But both of those have a 20 times (that of any of the comic based shows) audience base as well.

This is not my logic or what I want or how I hope it goes. It's just the way it has gone and is going. I'd personally love figures from the shows. And even some of the older tv stuff like Incredible Hulk and the old Flash tv show would be great.

And it may happen some day. But there's is nothing that indicates it will as of now. It will take a company taking risk and seeing what happens. It's the only way to know for sure. But you can't say it "will" pay off with any confidence. There is absolutely zero history to support that.

I understood you perfectly, and I stand by what i said about your logic being flawed. Let's start with the easiest: prison break. A successful show about bald men in prison garb coming up with plans to escape a prison. Most of their screen time was spent talking to one another and looking at each other intensely....

Do I really need to explain why it's no surprise it failed. Not only because there was NOTHING striking about them from a visual standpoint, but have we forgotten that HT wasnt always the juggernaut it is today? At the time, they were still, for all intents and purposes, a start up company, slowly building their resume with UNLICENSED sixth scale soldiers. Also, no one outside of HK/China even knew about this company called Hot Toys, save for a few diehard 12" doll collectors. Even when HT got the superman returns and batman begins license, collectors had to IMPORT their figures. i fondly remember going to toys2.net for most of my HT. Remember, all we had for sixth scale in the U.S. were Star Wars, GI Joe, and Barbie.

Follow me so far?

With PB, they were dipping their hands into licensed products. It was a popular show in China at the time thanks to the Internet, but sixth scale figures didn't have the recognition it has today. West Batman...once again, do I REALLY need to list the reasons why it failed?? Y'know what? Failed is too harsh of a term. It succeeded...in western speaking continents. Especially in the US. It failed miserably in China, because it's China. Where superheroes such as Batman, superman, Spider-Man are known, but became household names since the superhero boom back in 2008. ANYTHING BEFORE THAT is virtually unknown. Figures such as west batman, reeve superman, robocop, godfather, terminator...they were successful HERE. Properties over 20-30 years old...You honestly think these had the same production number like an IM or TDK? NO. These were produced for a small section of HT collectors that wanted to itch their nostalgia bone. Men in their mid 30s or older are the onOes collecting these. Any older than that are too busy taking care of their grandchildren. Basically, west batman was for a niche market, in an already niche hobby.

As stated, there are toy lines for shows like GoT, breaking bad, walking dead. Theres a reason why they don't sell in TRU. BECAUSE ITS TRU. A place where kids go, where Disney, TMNT and minecraft are king. These lines have more success at shops geared towards adults, shops like midtown comics, forbidden planet. Them selling has nothing to do with the amount of viewers they have. Those sales come from collectors of toys, who so happen to be fans of the show. Just like the adults that watch comicbook movies. Sales of a HT captain America come from collectors, who coincidentally collects toys. Not from a casual fan, but a COLLECTOR OF TOYS. Get it so far?

(Cont)

(Cont)

Once again you lowball the number of viewers for flash and arrow. You need to stop. I debunked it a few posts back. It's enough. And no $#!+ the crossover of fans from movies to TV will be smaller. That wasn't my point. I was talking about the built in fans, the KNOWN QUANTITIES. The very same people that watch the movies and buying the toys ARE THE SAME FANS THAT ARE WATCHING THE TV SHOWS and therefore will ALSO buy the toys. Do you get it now? These toys are made for fans. NOT CASUALS. If they can get the casuals, great. But ultimately, they are for fans, no more. It doesn't matter if a movie has 10 million more views than a tv show. Because only 200,000 of that 10 million is going to spend $200 for a glorified doll. Like west batman and reeve superman. No 16 year old is gonna want them because they were never exposed to them. ONLY FANS OF WEST BATMAN AND REEVE SUPERMAN will buy them.

You mentioned more than once how people tried to produce toys from TV shows and ending in failure. What are you talking about?? Who tried and failed? If they did fail, it probably has to do with the property they tried to produce. If not, then it must have been the time period when all things geek didn't hit the mainstream. Don't make things up here.

And finally, games. All you said is based on nothing. It still doesn't make sense. There was no built in audience, especially in the beginning. Where are you even getting this from? Just because Pete spent $60 on a game, that automatically means pete's gonna buy a $200 toy? NO. Everything I said above with TV shows, movies and toys applies here. It's the same $#!+. HT took a gamble with RE4. They produced an awesome representation of the title character Leon. It was the first of its kind. It screamed of quality. The fact it looked amazing and came with a $#!+load of accessories made HT brand awareness reach gamers. It even made non gamers who only collect sixth scale interested in the game. How often does that happen?! THAT was the HT I knew and loved. Nowadays? They're inoffensive at best. I don't love them nor do I hate them. They play it safe and it's BORING. And drop the licensing talk. Its pointless to fall back on that. It's HT. if they wanted, they can get it. Like the gamble HT took with RE4, they need to do it with DCTV.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they have the license already. It's not the first time they've secured a license and haven't made product from it. The fact that other sixth scale companies such as 3A and three zero have their own line of varied sixth scale figures is proof that the thirst is real. Companies trying to get their foot in the door are grabbing as many IPs as they can. Ones haven't been greedily snatched up by HT. They see the success HT has with the movie lines of marvel and DC. You know for DAMN sure they want in on that. The fact that NO company, especially HT, is producing sixth scale figures of hot shows from the DCTV raises eyebrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back