poison ivy repainted

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should just use eye decals and be done with it since that's where they always seem to have issues with female statue paints.

Should just use eye decals and be done with it since that's where they always seem to have issues with female statue paints.

:exactly::goodpost: then they could concentrate on getting everything else right. Also, why aren't the SCULPTORS sculpting where the iris of the eyes should be? If they did that, then there wouldn't be such a risk for messing up as all the painter would have to do is stay within the lines. :peace

ah I hadn't seen this thread

For real, painting details aside, how hard can it be to *properly align eyes*?
I can understand a random defect, but when eyes are generally misaligned it becomes a major problem in the process. It's really not too much asking to want properly aligned eyes. Humans are very sensitive to that, it requires a lot more attention than the alignment of something insignificant on the base.
And if not decals, surely this can be done using masks, one just can't leave a random guy paint irises "anywhere he likes it".

I agree with the above, sculptors should babysit painters & sculpt the irises in in the first place.

or, as I keep saying, they should do whatever Hot Toys/Enterbay(/pretty much any 1/6 figure brand these days) do, whatever they do.

Because this is what's advertised, and this is (nearly) what you get.
I don't know how it's done, but it's done, around the same price.

hot-toys-iron-man-3-tony-stark-limited-edition-collectible-figure-4.jpg

What Hot Toys does is use an easy to sculpt detail with material, remove ALL forms of character from the facial expression, and then sculpt what is by far the easiest possible face to sculpt (deadpanned soulless expressions).

What Hot Toys does is use an easy to sculpt detail with material, remove ALL forms of character from the facial expression, and then sculpt what is by far the easiest possible face to sculpt (deadpanned soulless expressions).

Joker? Sparrow? Bruce? Hulk?

Don't know about that but with their results they should keep doing it then :lecture

Most people prefer that an action figure should have a relatively neutral facial expression. That or companies making figures think that's what we want. I don't get to see the marketing studies, so I dunno.

I actually appreciate a bit of personality like the Joker 2.0 alt head or the SJ Nick Fury.

Hot Toys uses some level of automated painting on their figure heads. There are a number of figures where a fine dot matrix is visible under high magnification.

Big improvement on the Ivy repaint. The skin tones and eyes are so much nicer. Even the statue in white is an improvement over factory paint. There's a fantastic sculpt under those googly eyes.

Yes Sideshow needs to make sure the paint quality is improved GREATLY as their competition is doing much better quality paint these days. Gentle Giant, Hot Toys, etc. If Sideshow doesn't keep up with their competition, give it a few years and they will fall behind as the competition grows. Anyhoo, here is hoping Catwoman and Wonder Woman come out amazing. If not, we can always return stuff. Ivy just was way too hit and miss.

Wow. This is the first I've seen of this repaint!! Really nice work. Very impressive.

Wait? The paint job cost $700?

Speaking of paint jobs...

Great work!

Last edited:
I think if Hot Toys ever make 1/4, the body consist of polystone/fiber material to make it feel solid... They will definitely put SS in serious competition. The face, hands down HT is the winner. Compare Thor, Cap A and Black widow from SS to HT version.

Wow! You have an eye and talent for painting! and also, some *****! What I mean is, I'm always fascinated by the people who take it upon themselves to make their statue 'better'. Seeing the final results, usually ends in me thinking, wow, what a waste of a perfectly good statue; and yikes, what an incredible waste of money! But then there's the few that just hit it out of the park- and thats where your Ivy is. She's gorgeous! You totally nailed her eyes- she looks more like the original artwork! May I hire you to redo mine? Haha. I think my favorite photo you posted is her with blonde hair. Nice variant idea! :)Anyway, just wanted to join in on letting you know your work is impressive. :)

Ah.... Thanks! That's what I get for skipping out on reading most of the posts first, lol. Well, maybe he will pass on the praise to JA :) I also just noticed, that was no variant Ivy, just the start of the repaint. But still... I think it would be a cool look for her. :)

Back