Planet of the Apes - movies and TV show General discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Planet of the Apes EFTPOTA

Have you guys ever seen this photo before?

a149_1.jpg

I hope HT does a figure of Zira and Cornelius from Escape. If you compare Zira and Corneluis from POTA to EFTPOTA, the hair on their make-up is differnet. Cornelius has longer hair compared to POTA and Zira has shorter compared to POTA.

I'm glad to know that because I am basing my 1:1 scale outfit on the Escape Zira because I finally found the right fabric (after looking for 20 years)...

Re: Planet of the Apes - TV series

Jessica,

Great work. I like how it's coming out. What you you sculpt with?

-Ray

Thank you Ray!!!

I use Apoxie, and when I have to do large curls which take longer (like for Ironman's Burke), I use Super Sculpey.

EDIT: I was pleasantly surprised by "Escape.......". Although it lacks the depth and brilliance of "Planet of the Apes", it is considerably better than its immediate predecessor. The reason for its relative success lies with the fine contributions of its two stars, Roddy McDowell and Kim Hunter. Their characters played important supporting roles on the original film; here they take center stage. The original had Heston's character Taylor at its center, a human in danger from the apes. In "Escape......" the roles are reversed, with two lovable, and deeply human, apes in danger from humans. There is, however, a difference between the two films. The danger to Taylor came largely from ignorance; the apes, particularly Dr Zaius, saw him as a brute beast, like the other humans of their planet, and refused to listen to the evidence that suggested that he was, in fact, an intelligent being like themselves. Cornelius and Zira are in danger because of both their human and their non-human characteristics. Hasslein knows that they are intelligent beings who seem human and yet are not, and hates and fears them for precisely that reason. Just as they pitied and befriended Taylor, so they are in their turn befriended by two human scientists who try and save them from Hasslein.

Huh...is a blitzkrieg of threads in the works to try and muscle a POTA section?

Last edited:

Huh...is a blitzkrieg of threads in the works to try and muscle a POTA section?

I don't know, but I prefer that one honking megathread. I hope that megathread doesn't get locked down.

I caught some episodes on Fox Movie Channel over the last few days, hadn't really watched it before that. I'd love to see HT make Virdon, Burke, Galen and Urko figures.

I also watched those, Holy sh^^t were they bad. :lol

What the hell happened to continuity! :monkey4
10 years after Beneath, wasn't the planet dead at the end of Beneath? Zaius was at ground zero and he's fine, but they did stick to continuity having Cornelius and Zira gone as in the Escape movie. And the first thing I see is a chimp kid playing with a dog, wtf, weren't Dogs and Cats supposed to be extinct in Conquest long before this series takes place? Also why the hell are all the humans able to speak all of a sudden and able to assemble complex clothing with dyes and so well groomed? And there's not a single female Orangutan or Gorilla to be seen, and just two female chimps shown, where the hell are all the female Apes?

The TV series was a piece of sh^^t. I'm glad Sideshow skipped it, and I hope Hot Toys does it too. :monkey1

I don't know, but I prefer that one honking megathread. I hope that megathread doesn't get locked down.
I don't think it will be. I think people are reading the worst into what Dave actually said.
IMO he meant he may close it if a section for POTA were introduced, thus having many threads for many things. I have no idea why he would close the megathread otherwise. Thats how I read it anyway.
I may be wrong but I'm sure Dave will clarify.
x :peace

Last edited:

10 years after Beneath, wasn't the planet dead at the end of Beneath? Zaius was at ground zero and he's fine, but they did stick to continuity having Cornelius and Zira gone as in the Escape movie. And the first thing I see is a chimp kid playing with a dog, wtf, weren't Dogs and Cats supposed to be extinct in Conquest long before this series takes place? Also why the hell are all the humans able to speak all of a sudden and able to assemble complex clothing with dyes and so well groomed? And there's not a single female Orangutan or Gorilla to be seen, and just two female chimps shown, where the hell are all the female Apes?

The TV series was a piece of sh^^t. I'm glad Sideshow skipped it, and I hope Hot Toys does it too. :monkey1

It's one of my guilty pleasures. I watch two or three of them on occasion. Reminds me of my childhood when life was more simple.

Technically the TV series would take place after Battle. The events of Beneath either averted or not occurring yet. The only real continuity error is the dogs that pop up every now and then. Then again, the series was made to stand on its own and not depend on the film's llaws. Yes, Hot Toys, visit the series and make wonderful 1:6 figures of art.

From what I gathered, the tv show wasn't really connected to the movie continuity. They had apes fequently plotting or threatening to kill other apes, which is in stark contrast to the movies. It seemed like they just took the basic premise of humans and apes living together from BFTPOTA and tried to make the tv series it's own unique story. Zaius was the only direct holdover, but I got the sense that it wasn't supposed to be the Zaius from the movies but simply a different character based on him as a point of familiarity. I think the show was meant to be viewed as a companion piece to the films, not a continuation.

I think the TV shows were also geared for children. Most of the acting is really really bad, but there were some stellar guest stars. And of course for me, Roddy McDowall could do no wrong.

Also it has Zaius moving to another coast. In the films, he was in New York. In the TV show, he is re-located in California around the Bay Area. Why the producers kept the name Zaius and changed the rest is beyond me. Maybe in the world of apes, Zaius is as common as Smith. :rolleyes:

Funny, it is the only Ape series that my 9 year old son sees. He has seen the first film but not the rest. The rest are such downers.

And I echo Jess's sentiment... Roddy could do no wrong. I watch the show just for him. :D

From what I gathered, the tv show wasn't really connected to the movie continuity. They had apes fequently plotting or threatening to kill other apes, which is in stark contrast to the movies. It seemed like they just took the basic premise of humans and apes living together from BFTPOTA and tried to make the tv series it's own unique story. Zaius was the only direct holdover, but I got the sense that it wasn't supposed to be the Zaius from the movies but simply a different character based on him as a point of familiarity. I think the show was meant to be viewed as a companion piece to the films, not a continuation.

I looked up the dates, the TV series is from 3085 and the first film is from 3978 with Beneath happening shortly after.
I got the exact opposite impression, Zaius is too similar, almost identical to be the film character. That and the costumes and Ape City also look identical. And that's what pissed me off so much about the continuity break with the movies, the series seems to take place after the first two movies.
Even with the dates taken into consideration, I still didn't like the series, there was nothing really compelling or challenging in it.

And I don't think there's any need to ask for TV series characters from HT, since the Gorilla Captain feels directly from the Series. I didn't even notice any Gorilla Captains in the films, but they're quite obvious in the series.

Back