Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales July 7, 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alexander Scheer is credited as playing Young Teague. There is no credit for a young Barbossa, so I think that puts the Teague vs Barbossa argument to rest.

Well there you go.

Strange choice. Barbossa was Jack's first mate. Seems like a good opportunity to plant him early on, especially when this is his final film.

Also strange that Jack's Dad seems to be wearing a black pendant necklace familiar to Barbossa.

Even though it would be a prequel, I’d love a film addressing details around why Jack needed to deal with Jones to raise the Pearl and captain her.

So the ship in the flashback scene is the Black Pearl? I thought it was a similar but different ship, not just in name.

These abreviatures are gettin' out of hands...
I mean LOOK AT IT! Can you actually read this sentence???!

But it looks like TPOF is the PQ to COTBP, DMC, AWE, OST, and DMTNT.

:lol

While seeing this in theaters I didn’t even notice that it was Teague until I got the blu-ray. Would’ve been cool to see a younger Barbossa as well.

So the ship in the flashback scene is the Black Pearl? I thought it was a similar but different ship, not just in name.

Yeah, The Pearl went by the Wicked Wench before and during the time Sparrow worked for Beckett and the EITC. He betrayed Beckett (who wanted him to transport slaves) and the ship was burned to the ground (or sea in this case) while Jack attempted to rescue it. They both were doomed, but in Jack's last moments he called upon Davy Jones thus making his deal to bring he and the Wench back, and then Jack renamed it to the Black Pearl.

Really cool backstory that I wish DMTNT went into a little deeper.

Yeah, The Pearl went by the Wicked Wench before and during the time Sparrow worked for Beckett and the EITC. He betrayed Beckett (who wanted him to transport slaves) and the ship was burned to the ground (or sea in this case) while Jack attempted to rescue it. They both were doomed, but in Jack's last moments he called upon Davy Jones thus making his deal to bring he and the Wench back, and then Jack renamed it to the Black Pearl.

Really cool backstory that I wish DMTNT went into a little deeper.

If there's a sixth film with Davy returning, they might. :pray:

Interesting, that would explain the fact that the Black Pearl looks almost like normal wood painted black, likely charring look from the fire.

As far as the inclusion of Teague, it's a nice easter egg to spot, but thankfully not a prevalent plot point, from the exchange in AWE it, it feels like Teague is the one person who tamed Jack, the idea that they were both serving on the same ship and Jack would end up taking charge instead of Teague just doesn't seem fitting at all.

Teague being a pirate would not want to work for the EITC. Jack was young and ambitious, all he wanted to do was sail the sea. So it makes sense. Plus, the captain personally chose Jack. Who knows why, but that's tradition among Captains in their last moments. (We see with with Feng and Elizabeth in AWE).

So from a historical point, it makes sense. From a story point, not quite.

If there's a sixth film with Davy returning, they might. :pray:

A sixth film with Jones would be interesting, much to explain for that, how is he brought back, is the Kraken back too, how will he travel if the Dutchman is a normal ship now, etc.

You also have to be careful not to let the film be almost a repeat of DMC either, as I would imagine the general plot would be similar, Davy chasing after Jack with Jack seeking a way to save his ass.

I'd love to see a concept like the hunt for the fountain of youth used with a more worldly scope. When the early news of On Strange Tides carrying on the search for the Fountain came out, I was excited, imagining a film about tracking down clues and hunting it down, kinda like an Indiana Jones or National Treasure type film, with multiple groups seeking it, having to travel to numerous locations, battles in between, so the final film was a bit of a let down that they basically all somehow knew what island to race to and even on the island, they didn't cross paths until the end.

This movie actually came close, you had Barbossa/Salazaar on one ship, the British on another, and Jack's ship all seeking out something they didn't know exactly how to get to, there just wasn't as much conflict between them. I'd like to see something where like after a battle, someone's ship is incapacitated enough where the others continue on, then they shore the ship, make repairs, maybe even some enhancements, then back to battle and taking an upper hand or something, like mixing Wrath of Khan with Indiana Jones at sea.

If I recall correctly, there was a prequel book released in 2011 titled The Price of Freedom, which detailed the debt between Jack and Davy Jones (among many other things). I haven't read it myself, but it might be a good guide for Disney to follow.

Link: https://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/The_Price_of_Freedom

I don't see a PotC prequel series happening though. :(

Wow, an expensive book. Guess I'll have to pass on it. :(

expensive because the author is now dead, she wrote some SW stuff as well.

anyways, a family member of hers found a few boxes of TPOF and sold them over the summer. No additional prints have come out.

expensive because the author is now dead, she wrote some SW stuff as well.

anyways, a family member of hers found a few boxes of TPOF and sold them over the summer. No additional prints have come out.

I know. I'm just surprised they never put it out in paperback. The cheapest I can get it is $45. I can get the Kindle version, but I prefer reading an actual book.

Back