Painting with pastels question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc1

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi,
I want to try highlighting and skin tone with pastels. I was wondering if the brush has to be dry or wet when applying it?

Apply pastels with a dry brush and then blend in the edges with a dry brush.
Also don't remove pastels with anything wet as it will leave a dirty water mark.
Make sure you seal with flat laquer.

Apply pastels with a dry brush and then blend in the edges with a dry brush.
Also don't remove pastels with anything wet as it will leave a dirty water mark.
Make sure you seal with flat laquer.

Can I use the same brush with different color pastels or one brush one color? Also, how do you clean pastels off brushes - with regular soap and water?

Different brush per colour or wash and dry the same brush thoroughly between colours. Also a good idea to seal between each colour as you can end up with a muddy looking head if you accidentally blend too many colours together.

Different brush per colour or wash and dry the same brush thoroughly between colours. Also a good idea to seal between each colour as you can end up with a muddy looking head if you accidentally blend too many colours together.

I guess that means (If I understand the tutorials I've read) that I need to blend each layer well enough, seal then add another color as needed, seal, etc. So I was wondering how do you prevent each layer looking too "rigid" or defined as opposed to naturally blending into the next color.

Well you are better starting with light colours first as one sealed they are there forever.
Also depending on the brand of pastel you buy , some go darker , some lighter and some stay the same once sealed with laquer.

Also keep on brush without pastels on it for blending.
Also wash the brush after every colour and let the brush dry.

Back