painting headsculpts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkage824

Super Freak
Reaction score
hi everyone
looking for advice on painting a headsculpt
i would like to paint it so that it is smooth without clumpy areas or brush marks and also not fill in those fine lines.
any tips? (this is for the skin color basically)

Airbrush is a good tool, but expensive if you are looking for a good one.

If you are using acrylic paints thin down your paints like theobsoleteman suggested, and cover the head with at least 5 to 7 thing coats of paint, one good way to help speed up the drying process between each coating is using a hairdryer.

As for brands, well, I've seen people using ModelMasters acrylics, Mr. Color acrylics, Vallejo game color, Citadel game color, liquitex, and some have used Americana acrylic paints (these are cheap, quality wise). I use a combination of brands already mentioned.

Last edited:
Like the guys say, water down your paints first.
Use soft body acrylics and for flesh you want a mix of equal parts Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna then Add Titanium White until it looks right. Then add about half of water. It's best to avoid tap water and use bottled.
I then use a #4 flat brush to apply several coats, allowing each to dry first. Some people will add as many as 30 layers of this wash. It's best to use downward strokes with the brush.

Then, what I like to do, after I have added some detail with chalk pastels is seal it with dull cote and add one or two more layers of the wash. Then I'm free to mess the whole thing up when I try and paint the eys:lol

I'm far from being an expert at this but with each head I paint I learn a little more.

The only way to learn is to do it and you will soon find your comfort zone and what works best for you.

Like the guys say, water down your paints first.
Use soft body acrylics and for flesh you want a mix of equal parts Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna then Add Titanium White until it looks right. Then add about half of water. It's best to avoid tap water and use bottled.
I then use a #4 flat brush to apply several coats, allowing each to dry first. Some people will add as many as 30 layers of this wash. It's best to use downward strokes with the brush.

Then, what I like to do, after I have added some detail with chalk pastels is seal it with dull cote and add one or two more layers of the wash. Then I'm free to mess the whole thing up when I try and paint the eys:lol

I'm far from being an expert at this but with each head I paint I learn a little more.

The only way to learn is to do it and you will soon find your comfort zone and what works best for you.

:exactly: .

I found it a while back and bookmarked it but somehow that bookmark mysteriously went away and I could never find it on OSW... It's exactly what I've been looking for. A simple walk through!

Back