Painters and recasters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he takes commissions on this board. He's pretty steady with multiple industry producers.

Maybe. Which Predator statue?

if he is not taking commissions on the boards how is he getting those heads?

I hope you guys will let people know who the recaster/painter is. Otherwise what's the point of all this?:lecture

That's my opinion also. This is a pointless thread/discussion if the person responsible stays anonymous.

if he is not taking commissions on the boards how is he getting those heads?
The head in question was never available through the boards to the public that I know of. The people who had access seem to know Trevor personally, or may have gotten it at a convention.

Well, like I said, it takes about 10 seconds to find out who this apparently is :lol And then, I'm not sure if a full on witch hunt toward this person is fully warranted at this point. If more information comes out, then we'll see.

Ten seconds or not, I still don't understand why the name can not be said here. I don't buy the excuses also. Q is a very well known scumbag. You don't just happen to hand him a Trev sculpt completely innocently.

I stand by my earlier statement right now, this thread is pointless. This person should not be allowed to sneak under the radar. Name and shame I say!!!

Teddy, we don't know much about this situation. Let's let it play out. Q is a well known recaster on the boards. This person in question is not a member of the boards, and may not have much of a connection with the actual collector community. Of course, if there is some way that outing someone helps to benefit the community, then it should happen explicitly. But we don't know the whole situation and I don't believe Dave wants to whip up frenzies unnecessarily. It's like the thing posting the names of those who bought from Q. The main thing it serves to do is embarrass for the sake of embarrassing. That's not constructive, and may be misguided in this case. Let's let GOB and Silent Surfer work with Trevor on this and communicate as necessary.

Found the name of the painter but it doesnt matter that much if hes not a painter here. On recasting, I wish sculptors would include a COA with their heads but I guess this could be counterfeited too possibly. Then you know what your getting, no COA no thanks! Most painters include em with their work why not the sculptors?

It would be extra work to make multiple casts, but if sculptors suspected that someone was making copies of their work, they could sculpt a head with a unique hair pattern or number somewhere in the neck, mold/cast it, and only provide it to that person. If the head gets sold elsewhere, that would be an easy way to determine.

Or, say an artist is selling twenty heads, make 4 batches of 5 heads, and make something unique about each batch. If copies get out, it should be easy to tell which batch it came from.

The only way a counterfeiter would know what was unique is by comparing sculpts from multiple batches, which would be difficult to do, in theory.

Again, more work for the sculptor up front, but it might be worth it to help determine who else is sharing sculpts with Q and others.

That's my opinion also. This is a pointless thread/discussion if the person responsible stays anonymous.

I agree with Teddy in that the thread is pointless if the person giving heads to Q is not on the board. If they're not on the board we can fuss and complain all day long and it does no good. We can only work with Dave and the mods if they're a board member. Anyone outside of the board are not under the restrictions on this board. Therefore, who cares who it is if they're not on the freaks board. This is a dead end for stopping Q if this guy doesn't do outside commissions. Time to move back to board members passing on sculpts to Q instead of getting sidetracked on someone outside of the board's purview.

The problem with doing all this work to certify that heads are authentic is that the majority of buyers don't care. They just want a head. eBay is a wasteland of idiot buyers, and they couldn't give a care less who sculpted what, for whom, when, how much is cost originally. Even if all of Trevor's heads came with a numbered gold foiled certificate of authenticity, Q would still sell 40 recasts because people just want a head, not a head with a numbered gold foiled certificate of authenticity.

The only real "solution" is for the sculptors to sell on eBay. If Trevor sold his sculpts for $35 here and $45 on eBay, then no one would buy from Q, simply because Trevor's price was lower. But, once Trevor got on eBay, he could contact them and say "I am the original artist and this person is duplicating my work without authorization." But, I'm pretty sure he could do that now. I'm not sure if he has or not. But at the same time, eBay is a lot of work, as I imagine he would get tons of emails from members saying "will u sculp me a hans solo head?" or "can u mak me a new dexter head?" etc, etc. so on and so forth.

Ten seconds or not, I still don't understand why the name can not be said here. I don't buy the excuses also. Q is a very well known scumbag. You don't just happen to hand him a Trev sculpt completely innocently.

I stand by my earlier statement right now, this thread is pointless. This person should not be allowed to sneak under the radar. Name and shame I say!!!

I feel the same way, but the person in questions is one of the artists who Trev has to continue to work with in the industry. I think this incident was like finding out your own brother sleeping with your girl friend. It's a pretty touchy situation. I think we need to give Trev a chance to decide how he wants to handle this.

I have only posted names of people that I have incontrovertible proof of recasting. We won't be party to witch hunts.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back