Outlast

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natrix

Super Freak
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this, looks creepy!

[ame]https://youtu.be/4x3oJQ6uUA8[/ame]

Outlast is a gorgeous, Amnesia-inspired first-person horror experience that takes the genre back to its roots. You play as the world’s bravest/stupidest writer, who decides that maintaining his journalistic integrity entails sneaking in to an abandoned insane asylum and checking out what’s what. There are no weapons to be found in Outlast, so you’re forced to endure the darkness armed only with a night vision camera and the ability to run. And just in case you were wondering, said camera drains batteries like an electronic device with a vendetta, and you're going to have plenty of reasons to run.

Before my demo, the team at Red Barrels, which is comprised of ex-Ubisoft designers who worked on Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, told me about some of the crazy things they’d seen the brave attendees of PAX East do while playing their game. Some bolted out mid-demo, others stumbled out unhealthily pale, and one guy almost destroyed the entire booth in a fit of panic.

Of course I figured that these were just PR tactics to drum up some atmosphere, like when schlocky horror movies in the ‘50s required you to sign a waiver beforehand just in case the giant rubber spider on screen scared you to death. In short, I was a nonbeliever. In reality, I was a complete idiot who had no idea what he was about to get himself into.

I entered Red Barrels' dark booth, donned a pair of headphones, and journeyed forth. About five seconds after making my way into the dilapidated structure, I realized that I’d made a huge mistake.

IGN’s own Mitch Dyer may have put it best when he told the team at Red Barrels that he absolutely appreciated their game, but that there was no way in hell he was ever going to play it again. Playing through the demo was easily my most uncomfortable experience of PAX, but it’s also one that I can’t stop thinking about. Outlast is filled with nearly every type of scare imaginable – shapes dash out the corner of your eye, lights conveniently shut off when you enter certain rooms, and bodies that seem dead suddenly burst to life. And the fact that all of this is rendered with such gorgeous visual fidelity makes the mere act of opening a door a Herculean task.

While the first half of the demo had me crawling through the asylum in in fear of what was around the next corner, the second half turned into a terrifying blur once the creature was introduced. Looking like a cross between Killer Croc and the ghouls from Amnesia, the hulking monstrosity pursues you like the Nemesis is Resident Evil 3, crashing through doors and barreling through any debris that might stand in its way. I honestly feel bad for any kids who may have been in close proximity of Red Barrels' booth while I was demoing Outlast, because the only things coming out of my mouth were a wide array of four letter words.

I finally evaded the ghoul by getting lost down a series of hallways, busting through the door of a random room, and hiding underneath a filthy bed. I shut off my camera and simply sat there in the darkness, the only sound coming from my character’s own panting. Part of me whispered (OK, screamed) that this was as good a place as any to take off my headphones , turn around, and walk out of Red Barrels' godforsaken chamber of horrors. But for the benefit of you all and this preview, I went against my better judgment, mustered up the courage to turn my camera back on, and was instantly met with the lovely sight of my nightmarish pursuer staring right at me. Never before have I completely loved and loathed a team of designers so very, very much.

This looks great! I really hope this and the new Amnesia can spark some bigger or even small companies to seriously go back to the root of horror games. None of this action ****. I want true survival horror games again.

Anyone play this? Got it on Steam today and am enjoying it. Was concerned that the camera being your only tool would be grating, but its been very atmospheric.

Really glad that most of these games have controller support. Consoles have me trained; this was like $12 on steam

I am amazed at how fast a download steam has these days.......these games are many gigs and it downloaded very very fast

UPDATE -been playing this game and pretty much hate it. Very annoying in the sense that its pitch black 90% of the time. Definitely not recommended for those without patience

Last edited:
Well... I really like it. Put on your headphones, turn lights off. Always remember that you need THAT cam-corder and have fun.

Well... I really like it. Put on your headphones, turn lights off. Always remember that you need THAT cam-corder and have fun.

Finally got thru it and must say it picked up nicely at the end. My only real 'complaint' was the pattern of: get to section, find two valves, turn valves while avoid baddie, and repeat

Have moved on to Metro 2033 and more my style. Glad I played outlast - it definitely has its moments

I finally unpacked my PS4 to download this since it's free for PS+ members. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it in the next few days. How long was the gameplay?

Just downloaded too. Looking forward to play, after I tackle Tomb Raider.
Finally playing some worthy games, as I skipped the crappy launch games overall.

Buddy lent me Knack and it was the most tedious, boring, over long, repetitive platform game I have ever played. That game was terrible and terribly executed on so many levels. lol

started playing it last night and got scared and stopped after 5 minutes :lol ill have to really play it after finishing tomb raider

started playing it last night and got scared and stopped after 5 minutes :lol ill have to really play it after finishing tomb raider

I have to finish Tomb Raider as well but I'm going to try and get through this tonight since it's fairly short.

I ended up finishing this on the weekend and all I can say is, I'm glad it was free. It wasn't super horrible but it got tiring real fast. It started off pretty good but the longer I played the more boring and repetitive it became. It was just a chore finishing it but since I played it on nightmare mode maybe that had something to do with it. I will give it credit for having some pretty creepy characters though.

I have not completed this game yet, and missed the first half hours worth of gameplay, but have played a considerable amount and I must say it is really enjoyable. Quite refreshing in terms of scare value, with some twisted **** in there that makes you feel pretty queezy! It plays different and keeps you constantly on your toes. I know its a freebie on the psn network right now so make sure you download it, and close them curtains, crank up the sound (playing with headphones would be a good idea, i dare you!)

So in my previous post I complained about how I didn't think this game was all that great but now I'm thinking about getting the DLC. :slap :lol

SOURCE - Gameinformer

Outlast's First DLC Tells The Story Before The Story
by Jeff Cork on February 26, 2014 at 09:19 AM 4,837 Views

While playing Outlast, did you wonder what exactly happened at Mount Massive Asylum before you arrived? When you weren't busy hiding from murderous creatures dead-set on tearing you limb from limb, that is? Developer Red Barrels have announced their first DLC for the game, which is designed to fill in some of those gaps.

Outlast: Whistleblower lets you play as a software engineer named Waylon Park, who worked with the scientists and other people behind the scenes at the asylum. As players progress through the expansion, they'll learn how Park grows disgusted with the human experimentation he sees. Red Barrels says that players will not only learn about the events prior to the game's opening, but the download will also show the final chapter.

Whistleblower will be coming to both PC and PS4 this April. The game came out on PC last September, but just hit Sony's new console.

Our Take:
Judging from the screen above, things are going to go catastrophically south for Park. I'm a sucker for stories that are told through different characters' perspectives, so this looks like something I'll enjoy. The story, that is. I could take or leave the guy in the bloody briefs.

I want full customizing of the buttons, the three options they had to chose from just didn't work for me. Close, but not quite.

I've gotten into Tomb Raider atm but this was a solid horro game for while I played it. Very slow going but quite refreshing to be in the situation without combat as per the usual game of this genre

SOURCE - IGN

Outlast DLC Whistleblower Comes to PC and PS4 Next Week
Time to stock up on clean undies.
by Katie Williams APRIL 29, 2014

Developer Red Barrels has announced that its survival-horror game Outlast will receive its DLC, Whistleblower, next week.

According to Red Barrels, Whistleblower will release online on PC and PS4 on May 6 - with the exception of PS4 players in Europe, who will be able to buy it on May 7. It'll cost $9.

The early May release is a slight delay from its previously announced April date. In the announcement, it was revealed that Whistleblower would put the player in the shoes of a software engineer named Waylon Park, unveiling the final chapter in the story of Mount Massive Asylum.

In our review of Outlast, we found that it was a genuinely scary game marred only by some repetitious gameplay and underwhelming character design. Earlier this week, Outlast was rated as one of the scariest games IGN readers have played, so we're looking forward to see how the IGN community responds to Whistleblower.

I played Whistleblower last night and all I can say is...

...who wrote this story?!?! I'm not sure who's more demented, the writer(s) or me for playing it? :panic: :yuck

This DLC was seriously demented! :horror

Having said that, I did enjoy it. I finished in about 3 hours or so.

Back