Oldschool: Captain America and The Avengers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANDO

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Avengers Assemble!"

Been in a bit of an Avengers mood lately, couldn’t really say why ;). I’d been hankering to break out the Sega all night and a fistful of bottlecaps later I finally hooked it up to my old tv for some vintage kicks.

I'm sure there must be a handful of guys here that remember this Classic (read: typical) sidescroller featuring none other than Cap and Marvel's super team. My brother and I used to play it on the Genesis and it was also available for SNES and maybe even regular NES, iirc. Also there was of course an arcade version which I remember specifically at a Pizza Hut. Man I'd love to have one of those.

I think my favorite aspect of the game, aside from four unique playable characters, were the cameos: Wasp, Quicksilver, Wonderman, Namor, etc. Though I have to admit as a kid I always wondered why Thor wasn't a playable character.

Anyway, decided to take some pics to capture that oldschool charm.:yess:

avengersgame.jpg

avengersgame1.jpg

"Thank you, Quicksilver!"
avengersgame4.jpg

avengersgame3.jpg

"You shall be the one escaping!"
avengersgame5.jpg

avengersgame2.jpg

Last edited:
DUDE!!!! Funny you posted this. I had my kids Wii moded, and they put a bunch of old games in it and that was one of them. I was playing it with my kids last Monday night.

If Thor was playable, the game would've been over in about five minutes.

Even the final battle...Thor vs. Red Skull? lol.

But in all seriousness, the game was/is awesome. Not sure how much money I pumped into the arcade for this game.

Definitely the little brother of the X-Men when it comes to quarter munchers, but a fun game.

I'll always have a special place for this game, since I spent about 9 hours playing it one day on a terrible vacation.

I had the Genesis version, as well. I remember the reading of the title screen sounded like "Abblemblers Abblemble!" Hawkeye was always a favorite character of mine, so I was happy that he got so much videogame love back in the early '90s, crappy games though he might have been in (this and the Spiderman side-scroller).

Still has one of my favorite videogame exchanges of all times:

Bad guy: "You'll never escape!"
Avenger: "You'll be the one escaping!"

:lol

I also played the crap out of it at the local arcade. It took the spot that previously belonged to Moonwalker.

Back