Okay I've had it, they ARE NOT DOLLS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
denger4000 said:
Are regular action figures dolls? Just six inch figures with no real cloth? If the answer is yes then I can accept 1/6 being dolls, My point was there is no diffrence between a 1/6 figure or any other kind. I still think calling them an action figure makes a lot more sense and There hasn't been on logical arugment against that, just lots of good points why they shouldnt be called dolls. I think MWC already owned all you doll lovers with his post in this thread.

In the end, what does it really matter? :confused:

Does it make you girly/childish when you collect these "dolls"?
Can men who do not collect these "dolls" make fun of you?

I don't care, lots of fun with these dolls (and also the other "dolls")

Relax and enjoy ;-)

DannieDarKo said:
Honestly I prefer the pus$ycat dolls. :drool

dollsmb9.png

God Nicole is HOT :rock:rock:rock:rock

I don't call them dolls to be manly. I call them dolls because it is shorter than action figure or collectible. Yes, I am semantically lazy.

Michael Crawford said:
They're not dolls. And not because I'm concerned with my image - for God's sakes, I collect toys, and have for most of my adult life. I suspect I'm not too worried about the use of the term 'dolls'.

Words have definitions so that when we speak to other people, we make some sort of sense. I wouldn't call a Premium Format figure a statue when talking about it - it's more than simply a statue, and that needs to be communicated.

If you use doll to describe every toy that looks like a person, you've genericized it to a point that it's no longer useful. If you genericize it to that point, when you tell someone you collect dolls, what are they supposed to think of? Cabbage Patch? Barbie? Star Wars?

Think of it another way - let's say you meet Bob, man on the street. You collect Sideshow's sixth scale Star Wars figures. You tell Bob you collect dolls - do you think Bob is going to actually be able to know what you collect from telling him that? If you told him you collected action figures, do you think he'd have at least a closer idea?

You can call them dolls if you'd like. I consider Barbies action figures, because I think that actually makes the most sense from a definition point of view, as I stated in the original article. But if you're calling them dolls simply to prove your comfortable with your manliness, than you're no better than the foolish folks calling them action figures just to prove they're manly.

Now, let me go back to playing with my 12" sixth scale fully clothed highly articulated action figure dolls.

They are dolls regardless of how you try to justify it in your head. and I dont call them dolls to prove im comfortable with my manliness give me a break :cool:. It's just what they are and what they have always been.

" 12" sixth scale fully clothed highly articulated artist sculpted limited edition collectible action figure " are descriptive terms that collectors like to use instead of the straight to the point term DOLL.

Last edited:
denger4000 said:
It doesn't, it's fun to debate something silly on a message board, if you don't find it fun then don't post?

Doh! Isn't that what I was doing? I think the only one not having fun seems to be you, my friend.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :blissy

Bannister said:
Even the PF figures are dolls. I have proof. Here is my 1/4 Vampyre's shipping box:
dscf1157dy2.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
That's awesome Bannister!! :rock:rock:rock:rock:rock:rock

DannieDarKo said:
Great point Kit! Some guys just have some insecurities in their MANHOOD.

Obviously denger4000 has "personal" issues he can't get over or get up even. :lol :rotfl :lol
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Now that I think about it...I think the Frankenstein box called it a doll too. Of course Frank is stuffed except for below the kneews, elbows, and above the shoulders...

Agent0028 said:
Now that I think about it...I think the Frankenstein box called it a doll too. Of course Frank is stuffed except for below the kneews, elbows, and above the shoulders...
The Vampyre is definitely stuffed and is basically a doll.

I don't really care what people think of what I collect. I collect it because it makes me happy not them.
The way I see it, all toys/playthings that resemble a human or somewhat human looking thing are dolls. That includes 4" Star Wars, 6" McFarlane Spawn (regardless how much articulation is involved), 6" Marvel Legends figures and 12" clothed figures. An action figure to me is designated by what kind of play is associated with it or what kind of play it represents, similar to the way action movies are defined. If it represents something like a fireman, police officer, soldier, even a paramedic in an very active plot, it's a action figure. If girls play with their Barbie dolls in an action oriented type of plot such as a paramedic doctor speeding through streets trying to reach a patient then that makes them action figures. If it's just Barbie doing rounds at the hospital in a much more soap opera type of way, then I wouldn't call it an action figure- no exciting heart pounding action involved (if you're like most boys I guess). Of coarse I've never played dolls with girls or watched girls play with dolls so I don't know what the interest is there for them. I don't think young girls would call them action figures, and I don't think young boys would call what they play with dolls; and they continue to think that way when they get older, so there's your definition.
What I buy mostly just sit there and gather dust so that makes them a collectible. :lol

Back