OFFICIAL Hot Toys Metal Gear Solid thread..FINALLY A PHOTO!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OFFICIAL Hot Toys Metal Gear Solid thread

I don't really know much about MGS but with all this excitement about HT making the figs, I'm going out now to buy the game :)

Yeh I was being sarcastic bud. :lol

Can't wait though! Wonder who will be first!! :panic:

hoping the make the whole fox hound team from the first game

If they wanted to be smart about it, they could easily make MGS1 and MGS2 Snake in the same figure. Snake's MGS2 suit is the same suit from MGS1, without the vest or knee/elbow pads. They could give MGS1 Snake a second MGS2 head, removable vest, removable knee/elbow pads, and a MGS2 harness/webbing. Bam! 2 Snakes with 1 stone! And it would free up resources to give us another character.

mgssolidsnakephoto04dp.jpg
solidsnake.jpg

Sorry, but I'am not agree with you..:slap

Both suit are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from each other:
Diferent boots, pants, upper part, gloves, belt & pouches, harness, elbow and knee pads, holster... even the colors are different too....:lecture

PS: I have both Mcfarlane's figures :wink1:

Solid%20Snake.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry, but I'am not agree with you..:slap

Both suit are TOTALLY DIFFERENT from each other:
Diferent boots, pants, upper part, gloves, belt & pouches, harness, elbow and knee pads, holster... even the colors are different too....:lecture

PS: I have both Mcfarlane's figures :wink1:

Solid%20Snake.jpg

You can't argue the suits are different based on the two McFarlane toys. Those figures are two interpretations of the character, independent of the original source material. Yes, there were artistic tweaks made to the suit by Kojima's creative team for MGS2, e.g. the suit is a little more blue. However, within the cannon of the game, the suits are supposed to be the same thing. And given the fact that Hot Toys will undoubtedly have to make some artistic changes to Snake's low-poly model from MGS1 anyway, I believe a happy middle-ground could be found between the two (for example, a bluish-gray under-suit).

P.S. I have both McFarlane figures too. :wink1:

You can't argue the suits are different based on the two McFarlane toys. Those figures are two interpretations of the character, independent of the original source material. Yes, there were artistic tweaks made to the suit by Kojima's creative team for MGS2, e.g. the suit is a little more blue. However, within the cannon of the game, the suits are supposed to be the same thing. And given the fact that Hot Toys will undoubtedly have to make some artistic changes to Snake's low-poly model from MGS1 anyway, I believe happy middle-ground could be found between the two (for example, a bluish-gray under-suit).

P.S. I have both McFarlane figures too. :wink1:

Ok, but look at the pants for example (More baggy for MGS1 and tighten for MGS2 version)
The colors are different too, and I'am talking about the game and artworks (Shinkawa) suits not Mcfarlane's figures (amazing figures by the way.. :)) : Grey for MGS1 and more bluish for MGS2 suit)
The lower harness has a different scheme, same thing for holster, belt or pouches (and some differences between boots, and elbow/knee pads)... If Ht tried to do an ACCURATE 2 in 1 Snake, then they would have to add 2 complete sets ( Solid Snake DX?? :rotfl).

Anyways.. I believe that HT would do 2 differents Snake versions (MGS1 and 2) because the headsculpts, or even the weapons are also distintive from each other.. But Who knows?? :dunno

The official Kojima's explanation for the suit differences was:
MGS1 suit: Best quality and better functions, because they're working for the US government
MGS2 suit: Cheaper (or poor) than MGS1 one, because they are working for a NGO (philanthropy)

I think that Macfarlane's MGS1 suit representation is almost perfect and 100% accurate.. but the headsculpt not so much.. and the same thing for MGS2 version, however the headsculpt is much better here..IMO

Shinkawas's artworks:
MGS1:
269906-shinkawa_mgs1_snake_super.jpg

MGS2:
300px-SolidSnakeMGS2.jpg

Last edited:

great news but judging by the picture of snake and the boss, are hot toys going to come out with figs from mgs1 and 2 or only snake eater? i'd love to see a mgs2 version of snake which is my favorite look for him.

yeah hopefully we'll get em. i wonder if their 1st fig ( most likely ) will be snake with eyepatch and all.

Snake and Ninja from the original PS1 MGS game or nothing at all. Not interested in the other games. Maybe MGS2 at a push...

Ok, but look at the pants for example (More baggy for MGS1 and tighten for MGS2 version)
The colors are different too, and I'am talking about the game and artworks (Shinkawa) suits not Mcfarlane's figures (amazing figures by the way.. :)) : Grey for MGS1 and more bluish for MGS2 suit)
The lower harness has a different scheme, same thing for holster, belt or pouches (and some differences between boots, and elbow/knee pads)... If Ht tried to do an ACCURATE 2 in 1 Snake, then they would have to add 2 complete sets ( Solid Snake DX?? :rotfl).

Anyways.. I believe that HT would do 2 differents Snake versions (MGS1 and 2) because the headsculpts, or even the weapons are also distintive from each other.. But Who knows?? :dunno

The official Kojima's explanation for the suit differences was:
MGS1 suit: Best quality and better functions, because they're working for the US government
MGS2 suit: Cheaper (or poor) than MGS1 one, because they are working for a NGO (philanthropy)

I think that Macfarlane's MGS1 suit representation is almost perfect and 100% accurate.. but the headsculpt not so much.. and the same thing for MGS2 version, however the headsculpt is much better here..IMO

While the MGS2 suit had a slight blue tint, it's still not blue, it's gray. It's nowhere near the color of those McFarlane and Medicom figures or even the Shinkawa conept art. Any shots like these where it appears blue is due to the surrounding environment, where everything else appears blue too.

snake+raiden.jpg
mgs2_snake.jpg

Kojima wanted everything to have a cool dark blueish/green tint over it to emphasize the environment: night time, out on the waters. It's the "cinematography" of the game. But in good lighting, the suit would actually look a lot closer to this:

solidsnake.jpg

This shade of gray stays accurate to both the MGS1 and MGS2 suits.

As for Shinkawa's artwork, I think it's absolutely amazing (I own all the "Art of" books), and perfectly captures the "feel" of the character. However, in the end, it's just concept art, and the sketches are much too vague and inconsistent to serve as reliable reference for any sort of detail. The "true" versions of snake are the in-game models, which in MGS1's case, are too low-poly to see any details as well. Hell, the original MGS1 model didn't even have a holster like the concept art showed.

meryl-sneaks-up-on-solid-snake-in-metal-gear-solid.jpg

The best example is to compare the Twin Snakes suit with the MGS2 suit. When they made the re-make, they purposely matched the belt and boots to the MGS2 suit and made the pants look less "baggy". Because in the Metal Gear Solid universe, they were always supposed to be the same suit, so they went back and made slight changes to the original. It's called retconning. It's a little bit of cheating, and a little reminiscent of George Lucas, but it shows that they are trying to be consistent, and the Hot Toys figures should be as well.

500full.jpg
solidsnake.jpg

The only glaring difference between the suits (aside from the coloring which I've addressed) is the webbing around the groin area. The MGS1 suit has a V pattern connecting directly to the belt, while the MGS2 suit wraps around the legs, but this could be another switchable piece. Like I said, the only difference between the suits is the head, lack of pads and vest, and a different torso/hip harness. Whether or not those extra/removable pieces would qualify it as a DX is debatable. The T-800 Terminator comes with an extra head, and the Dastan comes with a removable torso piece and different outfit. Neither of those are DX. But even if they don't go this route, which I doubt they will as well, I'd still like the under-suits from both figures to be the same.

Last edited:

yeah hopefully we'll get em. i wonder if their 1st fig ( most likely ) will be snake with eyepatch and all.

what was the ninja figure? was that a custom it didnt look like one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back