Official Carnotaurus Maquette Picture Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's truly magnificent. The only complaint I've been hearing within my circle is the paint job. People complain when it looks too colorful, saying it's "Disney" hued, and if there's not enough color, they say it "drab" and "not worth the money". You know how it is. Personally, I think it looks appropriately camouflaged. Like the Lost World Carnotaurs, perhaps?

Sculpturally speaking, it's stunning. None of the other pieces have this heart-stopping, dynamic quality. The texturing is also lavish no matter what area of the body you're looking at, which couldn't be said of the Rex v. Trike diorama. I should have the full review published in a few days. Definitely a five star piece, and I'm already wincing at the thought of how awesome the future statues will be.

A pity that you got a small chip out of the hallux; could have been worse, could have been on the premaxilla... something like that would bother the hell out of me. :lol Other than that the piece seems to be getting sterling buzz. Can't wait to have mine arrive tomorrow. :rock :rock :rock

Video review Scar..Cmon man! :rock

I am a big fan of the coloring on this one, the subtle blues and greens are something you can really picture as being "real-world" markings on reptiles you see today.

As for space, what we have received so far is nothing --- wait until you get the newest dio! :google:google:google:google:google

The Carnotaurus is on a bigger scale than the Tyrannosaurus (it was a smaller animal), so yes, the size is pretty impressive. Nice elongated box for travel.

Ok, finally got some time to unbox the beast and totally awed and impressed by the sculpt. Paint apps were spot on so my biggest concern was laid to rest. Some quick amateur shots in candescent lighting. Mine's no. 81.

IMG_13821.jpg

IMG_13751.jpg

IMG_13731.jpg

IMG_13741.jpg

IMG_13801.jpg

IMG_13781.jpg

IMG_13771.jpg

Close to scale with my Albertasaurus libratus by David Krentz

IMG_13811.jpg

Great pics kyuzo...By the way, what does the edition size say on the bottom of yours? Mine says 125 on the bottom, but on the website it says the edition size is 150, so I'm just curious.

Awesome Albertasaurus by the way :rock

Great pics kyuzo...By the way, what does the edition size say on the bottom of yours? Mine says 125 on the bottom, but on the website it says the edition size is 150, so I'm just curious.

Awesome Albertasaurus by the way :rock

Thanks guys. Mine also says its out of 125 - either its a typo or some unannounced revision (in our favor) by SS?? :confused:

The albertasaurus came in kit form purchased directly from David Krentz which I built a few years ago. One of my faves.

Great pics all! Haven't been this excited about a new sideshow piece for a long time. Good to hear such a positive response to it. Now hurry up and ship to the UK please!

It's interesting to see the tint of cool colors throughout the body, as well. The stock images of the "prototype" didn't really reveal much beyond brown and gold.

Yes, it's truly magnificent. The only complaint I've been hearing within my circle is the paint job. People complain when it looks too colorful, saying it's "Disney" hued, and if there's not enough color, they say it "drab" and "not worth the money". You know how it is. Personally, I think it looks appropriately camouflaged. Like the Lost World Carnotaurs, perhaps?

Sculpturally speaking, it's stunning. None of the other pieces have this heart-stopping, dynamic quality. The texturing is also lavish no matter what area of the body you're looking at, which couldn't be said of the Rex v. Trike diorama. I should have the full review published in a few days. Definitely a five star piece, and I'm already wincing at the thought of how awesome the future statues will be.

It's interesting to see the tint of cool colors throughout the body, as well. The stock images of the "prototype" didn't really reveal much beyond brown and gold.

See and that's a legitimate problem that I have with people who would gripe about a coloration that's too vibrant. They neglect to account for the fact that carnivores can be extremely vibrant in nature and yet still do not detract from the overall effectiveness of the camouflage. Cryptic coloration is present in a vast number of species, yes, but vibrant hues are EXTREMELY prevalent in sexually dimorphic species. You and I are on the exact same page when it comes to the color, and from your description with lighting revealing different tones, I'm extremely excited. It's actually a feature that would make a great deal of sense for an animal that would be hunting in undergrowth to have refractory pigments to blend in as light breaks through foliage. In the regard that light is a factor, you are right it is similar to the Carnotauri in the TLW novel... but I'm glad SS also didn't go with the chameleon approach. But use of subtle lighting to enhance cryptic coloration by further breaking up the already camouflaged color pattern as well as a distinctive body shape recognizable to other organisms... that makes a hell of a lot of good sense for SS to have done and it's nothing for fans to caterwaul about.

As to Disney's Dinosaur, I'll admit that I don't yet have my maquette in hand, but I don't see the comparison, just from coloration. In point of fact, I don't think SS could well have made a Carnotaurus more paleontologically accurate and vastly different from the Disney Carnotaurus if they had tried, based on the pictures everyone's posting. Even with the Disney version, I'll admit the color pattern was... bemusing, but not entirely implausible. When hunting around the desert cliffs at dusk in the film it blended in magnificently, as I recall. In that respect I'd say the design was successful, though personally I would have muted the red much more. Not quite that florid. It seems an unfair criticism to draw a reference to the Disney Carnotaurus simply because it is the only other depiction with which most people are familiar. You and I are most definitely in accord there. I can't wait for this evening! :rock

Amazing pics kyuzo! Sorry to hear about the chip Dan. And Scar, we are waiting for your video review. :)

Mine is out for delivery baby!!

Well, no one's actually compared the SS Carno to the Disney version specifically, it's just sort of a generic complaint that dino-heads sometimes make when they want something to gripe over. Some of them, anyway. And then you've got the marvelous Battat dinosaur figures, most of which look "Disney" colored to me, but are still lauded (and appropriately so) for their tremendous accuracy and sculptural detail.

I would be interested to see how the attitudes would change if this was released as a small figure rather than an expensive statue. If Sideshow released a line of smaller Dinosauria figures, that would probably turn out to be even more profitable for them.

Edit: Some of my photos for scale.

Carnotaurus with the Carnegie Mountain
DSC00295.jpg

Carnotaurus with his Sideshow Kin
DSC00300.jpg

Very long, as you can see. Your shelves will be weeping.

Last edited:
Got mine. What an awesome piece, I can't get over how beautiful it is. I can't wait for the Rex to come.

I never noticed how short and stubby his arms are. I thought they were broken at first. :lol

I got #70; nice round number. Didn't expect this sucker to be so long. No detolf for him :cool:
*Now to find a spot on the pile/mountain for his box*

Back