Nuking the Fridge Moments 2008

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
From Yahoo:

73912898784466mi8.jpg

Sometimes while watching a flick, there's a moment that is so jarringly stupid, so breathtakingly ridiculous that it throws you out of the movie, leaving you either befuddled or chortling like a lunatic. This year, a term was coined for such a moment -- "Nuking the Fridge" -- in honor of Indiana Jones' utterly implausible escape from an atomic bomb through the crafty use of a lead-lined kitchen appliance. We've compiled a few more thoroughly silly movie moments from '08.

AUSTRALIA -- NULLAH, THE CATTLE WHISPERER

Oh no. Nicole Kidman 's prized herd of cattle is about to make a flying leap off a cliff. Cue dramatic music. But in the nick of time, Kidman's favorite aboriginal moppet -- Nullah -- sweeps in to save the day with a song and some mysterious cattle Jedi mind tricks. Right.

EAGLE EYE -- SNAPPING POWER LINES OF DEATH

So, Shia LaBeouf has been ensnared in a scheme so preposterously complicated that it might just cause a migraine if explained, but it involves the president of the United States of America, crystal explosives, and menacing phone calls from a GPS guidance system. Yet even if you're willing to go along with much of the film's silliness, the suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far. That snapping point comes when the cyber-villain, a defense computer run amok, somehow fries some poor guy in the middle of a field with falling high tension power lines. Trying to suss out how a computer can actually do that might just make your head explode.

JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH -- UNBELIEVABLE CELL PHONE RECEPTION

Most people lose cell phone reception when they go into an underground garage, but not the Anderson family. They must have the best plan around, because they get coverage at the center of the freakin' planet. Sure, there might be dinosaurs and vast underground oceans at the Earth's core, but calls from mom? Please.

HANCOCK -- THAT STUPID TWIST

Hancock creaks along affably -- detailing the life and redemption of a cranky, drunken superhero -- until it hits a big fat steaming plot twist and jumps the rails. So, housewife Charlize Theron is also a superhero. OK. And for some reason, she and Hancock have a completely unmotivated fight, trashing most of Hollywood in the process. And then, the spat ends, sputtering into tears and kisses RIGHT IN FRONT of her husband. Ooh, superhero melodrama.

THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR -- YETI FIELD GOAL

Swashbuckling Rick O'Connell is knee-deep in Himalayan snow, battling the evil General Yang -- never mind why -- when he gets unexpected help of a bunch of yetis. Yes, Yetis. Abominable Snowmen. In their free time, yetis apparently like little more than to kick back and watch American football, because, at one point in the film, a yeti punts a Chinese soldier over a gate that looks suspiciously like goal posts. As he pumps his fist in victory, a second snowman raises his arms in the international symbol of a field goal.

WANTED -- THE LOOM OF DESTINY

So James McAvoy is an action hero? Ok. And he can bend the path of flying bullets if he tries really hard? Sure. There's an ancient band of assassins who kill bad guys? Why not? These assassin take their orders from a mysterious loom that dictates who gets killed? Oh, c'mon.

STREET KINGS -- HABLO ESPANOL, DUDE?

While it might be possible to swallow Keanu Reeves as a thuggish, amoral cop with a nasty drinking problem, it's much harder to watch the flick with a straight face when he busts out with Spanish in a perfect surfer accent.

STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS -- CAPOTE THE HUTT

George Lucas not only seems to enjoy murdering precious childhood memories, but also seems to relish jumping up and down on their corpses. That was abundantly clear half way through his animated yarn "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" when Ziro the Hutt -- Jabba's uncle -- appears. Looking like Dame Edna at Burning Man, Ziro jarringly speaks in such a fabulously affected manner that it would set off the gaydar of a coma patient. Lucas reportedly demanded that Ziro's voice be modeled on Truman Capote, and, for better or worse, that's exactly who Ziro sounds like.

TWILIGHT -- VAMPIRE BASEBALL/WESTSIDE STORY MOMENT

Going into "Twilight," you'd expect to see some teen angst, a little blood sucking, and a lot of moony-eyed swooning. Yet the baseball game might be a surprise. Apparently, vampires love to don uniforms popular during the Black Sox scandal and play ball in thunder storms. Apparently, Edward can bolt after any fly ball with lightning speed, even if the special effects used makes him look more like Speedy Gonzales than an undead dreamboat. And apparently when two rival bands of vampires meet, they face off Broadway-style, like the Sharks and the Jets in "West Side Story."

THE HAPPENING -- THE WHOLE FREAKIN' MOVIE

M. Night Shyamalan's overly earnest pile of eco-twaddle is this year's best unintentional comedy. From its central conceit -- tree pollen provoking people to performing laughably spectacular acts of suicide -- to Mark Wahlberg's wildly over-the-top acting, the whole freakin' movie was ridiculous, soup to nuts.

Photo Evidence needed?

https://movies.yahoo.com/photos/collections/gallery/1328/nuking-the-fridge/fp#info

Can I just say I love the phrase "nuking the fridge"? Best line of 2008.

I'm happy to say I've only seen 2 movies on that list and they are both Lucas films. I still need to see Hancock before the twist is ruined for me.

Sadly I've seen 3, I tried to watch Hancock, but the disc from Netflix was messed up :lol I'll have to wait to read that twist until after I see it.

That list is great and also serves as the overrated, overhyped craptacular films of 08. Nuking the fridge indeed. :rotfl

I've seen all but one of those films - and I'd say that guy needs to go back to "suspension of disbelief" school - THEY'RE ONLY MOVIES!

Sorry but I agree with everything.

Movies are becoming so retarded it's painful.

It's ok to have those crazy slapstick moments. But not when the entire rest of the film is trying to be serious.

Example:

Army of Darkness + Slapstick = Cult Classic

Spiderman 3 + Slapstick = Top 3 Worst Superhero Movie

I'm not saying he isn't right about a lot of them - but this kind of blanket cynicism isn't what movies are supposed to be about.

I agree, but everyone's a critic, not necessarily qualified. I think, as we get older, movies don't appear as magical as they used to be, which brings out everyones cynicism.

i like how he can pick apart little details as being inaccurate but he has no problem with the fact that one cannot actually journey to the center of the earth. vampires dont really exist. and yeti dont exist either and if they did who's to say they wouldnt like american football?

I think its hilarious. But Wanted had a sorta WTF moment. But it didnt stop me from enjoying it emensly.

I agree, but everyone's a critic, not necessarily qualified. I think, as we get older, movies don't appear as magical as they used to be, which brings out everyones cynicism.

I don't think its that I think its that films need to be rooted in realism to a degree. Then when you add the magical aspects you get that suspension of belief automatically because you are already into the film and its possibilities. With films like Hancock or The Mummy you have to have the suspension going in because of the premise but with films like Eagle Eye which was supposed to be as if this could actually happen then its more understandable for a moment to rip you right out of the film.

I don't agree with the "it's just a movie" excuse and I don't think it's cynical at all to expect a story that is logical and internally consistent. Every story establishes rules & mechanics, expressly or implied, of what can and cannot occur in that world. Most often those rules are very close to if not the same as the real world. When the narrative violates those rules, the audience will naturally be irritated and it will take them out of the story. It's one of the many things that separates a well written story from a poorly written one.

Last edited:
In Indy, when you have God Arks, Holy Grails, heart ripping rituals, rafts falling from incredible heights, and yet the occupants still live, mystical, magical events....and yet....Indy survives a nuke, with a fridge....and now its.....STUPID???? Whats with you people. The Aliens I can understand the distain....I was kinda "Um....ok?" when I saw it....but the fridge??? Swinging on the vines?

I love the Nuked fridge moment as much as TOD mine cart chase or when Mola Ram takes a guys heart out and he's still alive. Not to mention the inflating dingy parachute.

The Fridge was awesome. I think the people who hate it so much completely miss the point of an Indiana Jones movie.

Exactly people who complain about that must have never watched Raiders ( The ark melting peoples faces and killing others), Temple of Doom ( Mola Ram ripping a man's heart out and he is still living just to be dipped in lava), and The Last Crusade ( A Knight from the Crusade still alive and well living in a cave). Personally me and my son enjoyed Crystal Skull.

Back