Now I am afraid to even preorder Hot Toys 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After my initial amazement over the QS i realised the 1/6 is just as good and a managable size. QS might be okay for one or two figures but it will never replace 1/6

I've been thinking more and more that, unless it's an exclusive, pre-ordering more than a month in advance doesn't make much sense. Especially when they require a deposit. None of the regular editions ever sell out before then.

After my initial amazement over the QS i realised the 1/6 is just as good and a managable size. QS might be okay for one or two figures but it will never replace 1/6

I was wow'd to at first but then I realized that there nothing more than a larger one sixth figure with nothing new to offer in terms of detail or quality. 1:6 is the best imo in so many more ways and has the best selection that 1:4 could never compete with. What does 1:4 scale really offer thats an improvement over 1:6 aside from size?

I was wow'd to at first but then I realized that there nothing more than a larger one sixth figure with nothing new to offer in terms of detail or quality. 1:6 is the best imo in so many more ways and has the best selection that 1:4 could never compete with. What does 1:4 scale really offer thats an improvement over 1:6 aside from size?

Yeah, looking at the next Batman DX and the Batman 1/4, I don't see an improvement beyond size, but who knows how they would appear in person?

QS might be okay for one or two figures but it will never replace 1/6

:goodpost::exactly:

1/6 is just a lot easier to display, you can have 1/6 vehicles, the lines seem to be more in-depth. 1/4 is nice, but its just a larger version of something I already have, with minimal differences or improvements. If it was something that only came out in 1/4 scale, or it was vastly different than its 1/6 counterpart, I'd consider it.

Major one-off characters, like Indiana Jones I might consider if done in a 1/4 scale. For the most part though, if I'm looking to go that big, I'm looking at PFs.

Well I'm sticking to the 1/6 12" figures. The figure scale seems right to me after being brought up on Action Man.. GI Joe to the Americans!

For me consistency is the most important when collecting, so I have to go either all 1/6 scale or 1/4 scale.

I prefer the size of 1/4 scale and its a better presence no doubt, which is good. The biggest problem I might have with 1/4 scale is selection though. There are some must have characters for me i must know that will be done in 1/4 scale otherwise I wont go to 1/4 scale fully and get rid of 1/6 scale figure.

I must know that these particular characters will be made in 1/4 scale

1) T2 Arnie
2) Endeskeleton (confirmed already)
3) Superman/Batman (Batman coming)
4) Robocop
5) MJ

Again, I really am scared that 1/4 scale selection will be worse than 1/6 scale and that would suck if I go 1/4 scale only :(

1:6 scale will always have a better character selection and more opportunity for large items like vehicles than anything 1:4. And technically we don't know if these new QS figures will have better quality. They could turn out as utter crap for all we know. We already know their 1:6 TDKR Bale sculpt is better than the 1:4 so just because its bigger, doesn't mean its better.

I don't expect HT to spend a lot of time with 1:4. They have always been and will remain a 1:6 scale company. They will make a few iconic characters in this scale, but I doubt we see more than 1 or 2 every year. At least not at first. Its hard to introduce something new and have it succeed immediately. This toe dip into 1/4 scale may backfire on them or may push them in a totally new direction. Look at Sideshow. They were primarily 1/6 for the longest time, but after their Nosferatu 1/4 experiement worked they just keep steaming ahead with 1/4 and haven't looked back since, leaving 1/6 collectors wanting more most of the time.

So be careful. If people jump on the QS bandwagon, the golden age of 1/6 HT figures may be ending. :(

I will continue collecting 1/6 scale figures, but I'll get iconic characters in 1/4 scale. For an example, I would buy the Joker and Batman only from the 1/4 scale line, not Scarecrow, Ras Al Ghul, Gordon, Bane etc. But with 1/6 scale I'd get the whole line.

The price difference between 1/4 and 1/6, as well as the space concerns, will prevent them EVER becoming dominant. I would think that would be clear.

What they could be is a nice diversion. Maybe HT will make 4-6 Batman related figures over the next few years, but even in that one franchise, the quantity will never compare with the 1/6 world.

I made this exact thread a few months ago.
Everything is eventual now.

Whatever your character is, just wait until its in the size and quality you want.
The only time you'd buy something you weren't totally happy with is if its a more obscure license that won't necessarily be repeated ...Enterbay's Professional comes to mind...

There are only so many big iconic licenses to go around and we are now seeing the companies just repeating themselves over and over.

We've also seen an interesting shift in that the film companies aren't necessarily granting exclusive licenses but letting Hot Toys and Enterbay actually build at the same time.

I can't wait to see Enterbay's eventual 1/2 Bruce lee.

And I'm saving my money and not worrying about most of the 1/4 stuff coming out now because I'm definitely getting the 1/4 Indy Raiders of the Lost Ark when that gets released. Sideshow and Hot Toys may do it ...but Enterbay is most likely sniffing around available 1/4 licenses now...

It's a non-issue for most people I think. I would want both. 1/6 lends itself to multiple characters from a franchise - so I need a Batman to go with Two-Face, Scarecrow, etc. 1/4 scale is for iconic figures that represent a franchise on their own. I doubt we'll be seeing more than 2 figures from any one franchise.

So you have to buy both. And you should use the forum affiliate link to buy them.

1:6 scale will always have a better character selection and more opportunity for large items like vehicles than anything 1:4. And technically we don't know if these new QS figures will have better quality. They could turn out as utter crap for all we know. We already know their 1:6 TDKR Bale sculpt is better than the 1:4 so just because its bigger, doesn't mean its better.

I don't expect HT to spend a lot of time with 1:4. They have always been and will remain a 1:6 scale company. They will make a few iconic characters in this scale, but I doubt we see more than 1 or 2 every year. At least not at first. Its hard to introduce something new and have it succeed immediately. This toe dip into 1/4 scale may backfire on them or may push them in a totally new direction. Look at Sideshow. They were primarily 1/6 for the longest time, but after their Nosferatu 1/4 experiement worked they just keep steaming ahead with 1/4 and haven't looked back since, leaving 1/6 collectors wanting more most of the time.

So be careful. If people jump on the QS bandwagon, the golden age of 1/6 HT figures may be ending. :(

Id actually be ok with this. Before I started collecting HT, I was grabbing up all the 18" figures NECA/McFarlane made. (And some PFs), but since Ive been collecting HT Ive sold off all my old NECA/McF 18" figures. 1/4 is a scale I personally prefer over 1/6, but since most of my favorite characters have come out in 1/6 its been the scale I collect. If HT decided to go 1/4 and drop 1/6 altogether, Id be fine with that. It just means I would HAVE to limit my purchases just in the pure fact of space. ;)

It is a concern, but like others have said, if it is your favourite character, sell the 1/6 version and get the 1/4. Might lose you some money though..

Back