Newbie alert..I'm after some advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unholyman

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a total newbie to the world of collectibles. I've marvelled at the intricately detailed figures and pieces for years but have never actually brought any or started a serious collection. So it is with great humility that I throw myself at the feet of your collective expertise and ask...where should I start? I need advice on what are trusted manufacturers,price ranges,should you buy second hand and if so what are the pitfalls? Should I buy posable figures or stick to busts and statues? So many questions I know. Here are a few answers....I've always liked Alien,Robocop and Ironman. I really like the the Evil Dead trilogy. I've seen items for all of these but again I don't know good from bad. This is where you learned lot come in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Collect a little of everything and don't over think things. You will know if you are paying too much, ebay completed listings is your best friend.
Welcome!

I started with the 1/6 Hot Toys Batman figures and got sick of them falling over after posing them, so I figured "why don't I switch to 1/4 statues?" and I've never looked back.

The way I figure is this, not only do the 1/4 PFs retain their value but they actually increase over time, even if they are opened, make them a true investment. So it's win win. I get to display and enjoy my statue but I could always sell it if I ever need to and come out on top.

The only problem is space. I have a dedicated room for my PFs and I'm already thinking of trimming down my collection and becoming more selective. Eventualy space and money will sort everything out for you. So just buy what you like and enjoy.

Everyone likes/prefers something different and really only you can answer that for yourself.

I think the best advice I could give, depending on where you are, is go into your local comics shop or collectibles store and have a look around. If your really unsure about it all, then seeing it all in person is the only thing that's really going to help.

Given your likes, Alien, IM and dead things, I'd say your likely to be mostly at home with Sideshow and Hot Toys.

PS. This is really a general question, not something aimed direct at Sideshow, I expect a mod will move it soon.

I'm no expert....but I'm giving you my opinion anywayz. :D

So it is with great humility that I throw myself at the feet of your collective expertise and ask...where should I start?
Start by figuring out what license u liked the best. Whether its Alien, Robocop, Marvel....whatever.
Then see whats on the market for those licenses.

I need advice on what are trusted manufacturers,price ranges,should you buy second hand and if so what are the pitfalls?
Sideshow Collectibles and Hot Toys are the big bosses around these parks....but once ur more involved in this forum , u'll learn about all types of reliable companies. Second hand toys can be an option, but as mint as they say they are....u never really know what they have done to it or with it. So if you do buy second hand, i suggest that u ask for how long they've had it and if they can give a hi res pics of every angle of the fig to make sure they're no damage.
Prices can vary...Hot Toys are usually around the $150-$200 bracket, while bust and statues are usually in the $250 -$400 bracket (rounding off)...but some can be higher or lower, depending on the quantity that they produce, the quality of the product (materials they used, level of detail, etc...) or the demand. The Ironman license has a big demand at the moment....so anything Ironman sell out quick and is a little more expensive.

Should I buy posable figures or stick to busts and statues?
I know alot of people are nit picky when it comes to they're collection. But I collect whatever I think is bad ass....So I can't really help you in this case. But I can say that u can probably buy two poseable figures for the price of one Bust/PF Statue.

So...like I said...I'm no expert...but I thought I chime in.
Good Luck with ur new hobbie.:wink1:

Start whit few big items instead of many small items......many collectors starts collecting small 7" and 12" statues and then expand to 1:4 and 1:2 and 1:1 scale.........the small things seems to NOT go up in value as the big items doo......

just my opinion

Another bit of advice, start slowly! Don't get in a mad rush to collect everything at once, or you'll run out of space and money. Remember that companies are constantly releasing product, so if you're not 100% on an item, wait until you see something that absolutely sings to you.

Hello all. I'm a total newbie to the world of collectibles. I've marvelled at the intricately detailed figures and pieces for years but have never actually brought any or started a serious collection. So it is with great humility that I throw myself at the feet of your collective expertise and ask...where should I start? I need advice on what are trusted manufacturers,price ranges,should you buy second hand and if so what are the pitfalls? Should I buy posable figures or stick to busts and statues? So many questions I know. Here are a few answers....I've always liked Alien,Robocop and Ironman. I really like the the Evil Dead trilogy. I've seen items for all of these but again I don't know good from bad. This is where you learned lot come in. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

POSEABLE FIGURES FTW!!! :rock :rock :rock

Sideshow collectibles and hottoys r my favourite u have to pick somethink u like and just keep on spending cause once u start u cant look back lol:rock2

Its simple...buy what you like. But dont go crazy...you will work out your own system in time. Another key thing to do is become an active member on the boards. You will learn much quicker by interacting with other people that share the same interests as you. With that said...you've come to the right place. However posted your thread in the wrong forum...:lol

Welcome friend :wave

Chris

Its simple...buy what you like. But dont go crazy...you will work out your own system in time. Another key thing to do is become an active member on the boards. You will learn much quicker by interacting with other people that share the same interests as you. With that said...you've come to the right place. However posted your thread in the wrong forum...:lol

Welcome friend :wave

Chris

Great advise! Collect what you like. Funds and space are usually everyones limitations. When you look at your collection you should like what YOU see. Don't worry about what other people think. It's YOUR collection.

Back