NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guessing the bio keys into the unmasked portrait .. Not a fan of the unmasked head showing seams where the mandibles connect to the face.. Oversized bio and seam on unmasked face [emoji852].
ac4ecbe1d0540194cce6d0a14074131a.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing the bio keys into the unmasked portrait .. Not a fan of the unmasked head showing seams where the mandibles connect to the face.. Oversized bio and seam on unmasked face [emoji852].
ac4ecbe1d0540194cce6d0a14074131a.png

I'm fairly certain that's an early production picture. The seem will be cleaned up once the mandibles were attached, no big deal really, any modeller will be used to doing it. You would hope the factories will be copying the whole head rather than producing it in this manner so as to avoid any risk of visible seems.

I'm fairly certain that's an early production picture. The seem will be cleaned up once the mandibles were attached, no big deal really, any modeller will be used to doing it. You would hope the factories will be copying the whole head rather than producing it in this manner so as to avoid any risk of visible seems.

Yup.

• The bio won't go over the unmasked portrait - there will be 2 heads.
  • There wont be any mandible-attachment seams on the unmasked portrait.

Of course, this is assuming Sideshow actually want to sell these :)

One thing that's been interesting in this thread has been the large number of basic questions. Suggests there is a lot of new blood interested in this piece from people that are not as familiar with either the Predator character/franchise or prepaint production history as some of us old dogs. That's nice to see.

Thanks for explaining. Got a bit confusing abt whether it really had 2 separate heads or a detachable bio/mandible.

Thanks for explaining. Got a bit confusing abt whether it really had 2 separate heads or a detachable bio/mandible.

I imagine it will be two separate heads. Although it is still possible that the bio might detach from its head as with the original.

Chin & mandibles glued on then filled . . .

HAS to be cast & assembled that way in order to paint the inside of the mouth - BUT - the result in that shot is down to crappy QC - I've not seen anyone else mention this and mine is perfect.

I forget Col - didn't your P2 have lots of issues either with the head or generally?

One thing that's been interesting in this thread has been the large number of basic questions. Suggests there is a lot of new blood interested in this piece from people that are not as familiar with either the Predator character/franchise or prepaint production history as some of us old dogs. That's nice to see.

Like I mentioned people go on about grail this and grail that. This is a grail for a lot of people, people that don't even collect statues.

There's no way they will re-scale the head so I think if they just fix the leg armour I'll be pretty happy.

I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the head, either. But I would like to see the other portrait, as well as the EX piece (maybe it's not actually the bloody spine), before making a decision. The price tag may scare me off. I caved on a $900 Conan statue by PCS and am sort of shocked I spent so much on it. By the sounds of it, this guy may be even more, in which case I'll probably just keep my comiquette and make do.

Like I mentioned people go on about grail this and grail that. This is a grail for a lot of people, people that don't even collect statues.

There's no way they will re-scale the head so I think if they just fix the leg armour I'll be pretty happy.

You are quite right - a P1 at this size will be accepted by a lot of casual collectors regardless of the oversized head & skinny body issues.

The numbers interested will be cut down due to pricing (a lot of "casuals" appear to have zero idea of likely price point on this), but this will still sell well despite its obvious flaws.

I think Sideshow should give NECA a percentage, since they are the primary company responsible for increasing the interest in Predator collectibles :)

I'll be getting this, but would sure like that thigh armour fixed - that'll bug the heck out of me!

You are quite right - a P1 at this size will be accepted by a lot of casual collectors regardless of the oversized head & skinny body issues.

The numbers interested will be cut down due to pricing (a lot of "casuals" appear to have zero idea of likely price point on this), but this will still sell well despite its obvious flaws.

I think Sideshow should give NECA a percentage, since they are the primary company responsible for increasing the interest in Predator collectibles :)

I'll be getting this, but would sure like that thigh armour fixed - that'll bug the heck out of me!

Sure, some people will buy anything. They moved a few P2s so they should still do well with this, but that number might be lot lower than it could have been. It is going to depend heavily on the unmasked head.

Don't forget Hot Toys, they did as much or more than NECA for Preds.

I buy everything except for Predator Dolls and action figure Toys. I dont have any Neca either and i have alot of stuff in my collection... Also Oversized heads and Seams for everyone. :wink1: Can't wait to pre order this and if i have to fix something i will if its bothering me:yess:

Sure, some people will buy anything. They moved a few P2s so they should still do well with this, but that number might be lot lower than it could have been. It is going to depend heavily on the unmasked head.

Don't forget Hot Toys, they did as much or more than NECA for Preds.

I think you guys are being a bit overly critical. The proportions are a little off, but it's marginal. For a sideshow product this is close to perfect for me. In another dimension we would be complaining about the pose or bent dreads.

Pose is good, detail is good, accuracy is good and it's the gawd damn original predator.

This is what I think of it.

I can understand if you don't have another P1 how you would be more willing to accept flaws. I have the SWS P1 so for me it need to be a higher standard before I would consider getting it. Like I said, if the unmasked head looks good and fits the body proportions better it may still be ok, as long as they fix the leg armor and spine trophy issues.

The head looks pretty big to me in these behind the scene stills. It really looks like they made a conscious effort to shoot him from lower angles in the movie to give him even more presence over the other actors which would account for the head looking a bit smaller on film.

pred1_zpsjx2zcb71.jpg

pred2_zpsph0g1xgd.jpg

pred3_zps1rnrtb2u.jpg

pred4_zpsps3mqy0n.jpg

pred5_zpsexpyii0r.jpg

Back