NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding to this, to me there is also a fine line of offering criticism of a product, and bashing it to a point where others lose their excitement of their purchase or are made to feel bad for liking it in the first place. To be clear, I am NOT saying that has gone on here, or that I have ever felt that way, but as a long time lurker on these forums I have definitely seen it happen.
Constructive criticism of a product is a good thing. But bashing something just to be a a-hole about things is a different matter. And I'll use Spike as an example without his permission...he has made it clear form day one what his issues with this statue are, and he is justified (and correct) in doing so. But he has never made me feel like an idiot for being excited about receiving it, or keeping it despite its glaring issues (like the freaking head falls off....I'm also looking at you, Wolf LSB).

Just remember that each of our collections are personal to us, and being respectful of other members is always a good thing.

I'm often used as an example - usually a bad one
icon_redface.gif

(* and as promised, the cheque is in the post bud *)

So I am thinning out my collection and thought to myself.. Hmmmm I may have room for the Alien 3 maquette.. Then I looked at the price again... Ouch. Would love to be able to justify this purchase in my head but I would have to get the Ex and that is just too much $$$

While Prime 1 did inherit the original Coolprops sculpt for the Dog, they said they were keeping the pose but improving the sculpt and adding detail. If you compare pics of the Coolprops sculpt to the final Prime 1 piece you can see a huge improvement. Notice how soft the sculpt is on the Coolprops piece around the neck, jaw, and arms compared to the amount of detail in the sculpt on the final Prime 1 piece.

attachment.php

attachment.php

oTrzz0q.jpg

In regards to the Predator 1 maquette, i've seen pics up on facebook and I had a look through this thread yesterday. I'll just say that I'm personally glad I didn't end up ordering this guy. Things like the thigh armour and fused mandibles would drive me crazy and I don't see the quality matching the price tag.

I want to rinse and repeat this post lol...that’s what you call a frigging statue! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am thinning out my collection and thought to myself.. Hmmmm I may have room for the Alien 3 maquette.. Then I looked at the price again... Ouch. Would love to be able to justify this purchase in my head but I would have to get the Ex and that is just too much $$$

It might be expensive, but it actually looks worth the price and won't get endlessly bashed like most SS A/P/T pieces when they eventually come out poorly like this guy.

Is it too late to cancel the P1? (problem solved then) :)

I want to rinse and repeat this post lol...that’s what you call a frigging statue! Hahaha

Now that was just MEAN :lol

Its an amazing looking statue. Its just a shame it comes from a crap film.

Try the "Director's cut" (or whatever it's called nowadays) - much MUCH better than the original. Best of the bunch IMO.

While Prime 1 did inherit the original Coolprops sculpt for the Dog, they said they were keeping the pose but improving the sculpt and adding detail. If you compare pics of the Coolprops sculpt to the final Prime 1 piece you can see a huge improvement. Notice how soft the sculpt is on the Coolprops piece around the neck, jaw, and arms compared to the amount of detail in the sculpt on the final Prime 1 piece

Thanks for clarifying :) they did a great job with it.

I don't think that weighs very heavy with most collectors. If the market wasn't flooded with options, the Alien would be sold out by now. Even customs are flooding the market.

Well, one of the reason why Alien products have flooded the market and could maintain its selling price, is because Alien is much easier to manufacturing than Predator. Back then, I could finish Alien garage kit in a week while it took months for Pred. Getting them right is another thing though.

It might be expensive, but it actually looks worth the price and won't get endlessly bashed like most SS A/P/T pieces when they eventually come out poorly like this guy.

Yeah.. But I really don't care who bashes what as long as I like it. I also cant imagine if I ever had to sell this piece.. I doubt I would be able to get my funds back.. Of course same could be said for P1 :lol

Yeah.. But I really don't care who bashes what as long as I like it. I also cant imagine if I ever had to sell this piece.. I doubt I would be able to get my funds back.. Of course same could be said for P1 :lol

I promise I'm not being biased - but if that was a concern for anyone, I'd bet people are more likely to get their money back (plus!) on the Dog Alien. As Matt (python) has said before - it's about as good as it can possibly get and we can't see this ever being bettered.

Thing is... P1 movie > Alien 3 movie

Plus I was just looking at the dimensions again.. That thing is just too damn big.. Oh if only it were 1/4 scale.. I really don't care for 1/3 scale. Too much space and too much money.

Yarp. The size is one of the issues for me - I would have preferred it at 1:4 that's for sure.

Still, since they are doing their Preds at 1:4 as well, I should just accept it.

Try the "Director's cut" (or whatever it's called nowadays) - much MUCH better than the original. Best of the bunch IMO.

Seen it man. The Assembly Cut is what you're referring to I think. It's still a pretty poor film. I own all the Alien movies on blu ray because I'm a completist and a fan of the franchise, but really, everything after 'Aliens' is average at best. They're a guilty pleasure of mine and I'll watch them, but couldn't see myself paying top dollar for statues from anything after Aliens, regardless of the creature designs. I generally have a rule of thumb that I need to love the movie to buy expensive statues from it. Keeps me from buying too much necessary crap, lol.

I don't think that weighs very heavy with most collectors. If the market wasn't flooded with options, the Alien would be sold out by now. Even customs are flooding the market.

Not sure what you mean? It's just a personal opinion of mine. I know a lot of people like it and will buy it because of the design and it is cool, I just don't like the movie all that much, and I will only buy statues from movies I love. Just a personal preference :)

Thing is... P1 movie > Alien 3 movie

Plus I was just looking at the dimensions again.. That thing is just too damn big.. Oh if only it were 1/4 scale.. I really don't care for 1/3 scale. Too much space and too much money.

Agree with this. Despite being an inferior statue, I'd still buy a statue from Predator 1 over anything from Alien 3 any day, regardless how good the Alien 3 piece looks. Just a personal preference. Obvious bias because I LOVE the original Predator.

Dimensions and space would be a killer as well. I'd imagine collecting a line of 1/3 Aliens from Prime 1 wouldn't be good for someone with a mortgage and a family, lol.

. . . Agree with this. Despite being an inferior statue, I'd still buy a statue from Predator 1 over anything from Alien 3 any day, regardless how good the Alien 3 piece looks. Just a personal preference. Obvious bias because I LOVE the original Predator . . .

I guess you won't be buying anything from AVP-R then :)

I have to like the "source" too, but am easily tempted if the character (and ideally the SCULPT!) look cool :)

. . . Dimensions and space would be a killer as well. I'd imagine collecting a line of 1/3 Aliens from Prime 1 wouldn't be good for someone with a mortgage and a family, lol.

Yeah - I figure average house sizes will result in them selling a LOT more of these in North America than they will in Europe :lol

I guess you won't be buying anything from AVP-R then :)

I have to like the "source" too, but am easily tempted if the character (and ideally the SCULPT!) look cool :)

Haha probably not mate, that movie was awful, although I do think the Wolf Predator design is pretty awesome. It's just a shame you couldn't really see it in the movie! Like you though, I can be tempted if the character and sculpt look great, and I am partial to the Wolf Predator as it's probably the coolest looking one after the Jungle Hunter.

Yeah - I figure average house sizes will result in them selling a LOT more of these in North America than they will in Europe :lol

lol pretty much! I live in Australia and while I don't consider my house small, I do wish Australian houses came standard with basements. Apart from being useful for large statue displays, they also make great home theatre rooms, something else I'm into.

Ah man, Alien 3 doesn't half get a hard ride, I actually think it's one of the more underrated movies ever made personally. Especially if you take into account the productions madness that the director faced. Here's Jim Sterling putting it into words better than I can, I prefer the first movie, but it's hard to argue with most of this...

Also, I am very much in the camp that will appreciate and love a good creature deign regardless of which movie it is they feature in. It isn't ADI's fault that AVP:R was fairly rubbish for example. They lovingly created a Predator regardless and the result was the incredible Wolf. It would have been nice if the writers and directors etc had given Wolf the movie he deserved, but the fact that this sadly didn't happen in no way detracts from his design for me. Even if I didn't like Alien 3, I'd still be hard pressed not to adore the beautiful creature design of the Dog, also ADI's work coincidentally. And this looks like it just jumped right out of the screen to me....

0GKD0z0.jpg

If it wasnt for the derelict ship sequence in Alien id say Alien 3 was my favorite movie of the bunch. Its a way better Alien movie than Aliens was. Theres one creature, its taking out a group of people one by one. Great setting, great music, the story is very heavy and impactful. I feel people are just salty that its got such a morbid tone and they dont like feeling sad even if the tone of the movie calls for it. Alien 3 is more in tone with the first movie. Aliens killed the franchise because they went from 0 to 100 too fast. Now everybody expects a movie full of shoot bangs and one liners with huge explosions. Basically rendering the Xenomorph nothing more than rats who pose no threat. Stupid bugs. A shooting gallery. Vasquez a 110lb girl overpowered one. Comical one liners. People talk about Rey being a Mary Sue in star wars, while its true its nothing on Ripley. She was real in Alien, now all of a sudden she can pilot any ships, any mechanical gear, she is such a bad ass marine she single handily went into the hive and actually succeeded in taking down the nest and saving Newt. Then having a megazord battle with the queen. Alien 3 brought back what Aliens had taken away. Suspense, threat, dignity to the creature. Characters!

Ah man, Alien 3 doesn't half get a hard ride, I actually think it's one of the more underrated movies ever made personally. Especially if you take into account the productions madness that the director faced. Here's Jim Sterling putting it into words better than I can, I prefer the first movie, but it's hard to argue with most of this...

I think the problem with Alien 3 for a lot of people is that the first 2 films are widely considered masterpieces, so the 3rd one had a lot to live up to, and for a lot of people it failed. Killing off Newt and Hicks at the start of the film annoyed a lot of people, myself included. I think had Alien 3 been a standalone film without the first 2, it most likely would have been received differently, and probably would've been rated better.

I watched the Youtube video and appreciate his insight, but the movie just doesn't do it for me unfortunately. I watched it again recently and I don't think it's aged well. From a visual point of view, it looks great at times (apart from the awful CGI), but I never really cared for the story or characters.

It's all personal opinion I guess. I know people that have watched the original Alien and think it's boring, but I love it personally.

Also, I am very much in the camp that will appreciate and love a good creature deign regardless of which movie it is they feature in. It isn't ADI's fault that AVP:R was fairly rubbish for example. They lovingly created a Predator regardless and the result was the incredible Wolf. It would have been nice if the writers and directors etc had given Wolf the movie he deserved, but the fact that this sadly didn't happen in no way detracts from his design for me. Even if I didn't like Alien 3, I'd still be hard pressed not to adore the beautiful creature design of the Dog, also ADI's work coincidentally. And this looks like it just jumped right out of the screen to me....

Oh, I can certainly appreciate cool creature designs. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Wolf Predator is probably my favourite design outside of the original Predator, but I just find it hard to bring myself to pay large amounts of money for statues from movies I don't like, even if I like the creature design. I guess if space and money weren't an issue, maybe I'd think differently, but I gotta be very selective in this hobby, especially these days given the pricing on large scale statues. I tend to stick to characters I love from classic and highly rated movies (movies that I love essentially).

The Prime 1 Alien looks amazing and indeed does look like it jumped straight out of the screen. The creature design itself is also fantastic. However, as I already own the 2 Alien Maquettes from the first 2 movies from Sideshow, I feel like I have what I need as far as Aliens go and don't really need Prime 1's Dog. Perhaps if it was 1/4 scale and at a cheaper price point I might be tempted.

Back