NEW PREDATOR 1 MAQUETTE by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't decide if I should post something on this thread
eusa_think.gif

Perhaps I should post if I want to, and don't post if I don't want to?
icon_idea.gif

book-complicated-life-notebook-photo-Favim.com-433806.jpg

I like your sense of humour :lol

warning don't post and there no need to read
warning don't post if u don't like sideshow products period :clap

You seem to be confused. The majority of this forum are fans of Sideshow. Posting criticisms when they are due does not alter this fact. And sadly their Predator statues are often easy targets for criticism. This is why people get so passionate about them, in the hope that they improve. The Wolf LSB looked to be the start of such a movement, and that thread was full of praise from the same people that don't love this P1.... Right up until some bright spark made them all out of cheap plastic....

are u getting this statue ?

No, I have the original SWS version so I don't have to settle for anything less. And I have the SSC 1/4 P2 which also left a lot to be desired (but is the only large scale option currently) I'm more than happy to add another big P1 statue to my collection, but this one doesn't do the character justice enough for me to pay this kind of money for it. I know there are other Predators on the way, the money I save on this will go towards them. But that doesn't mean that I don't wish this hadn't been a bit more refined as I like the pose and concept etc and I would have bought it otherwise. The way I see it, if you're going to re-make a statue, you have to make it better, otherwise there isn't much point doing it. At the very least, it has to be on par (detail and accuracy wise) with a different presentation.

And just to answer the follow up I'm predicting, I havn't been here constantly knocking this. I've intentionally stayed relatively quiet in this thread. But I do like to add a little constructive feedback where I can,. this is one of very few characters I have a genuine love for.

But that's my point though. The more you pay a factory, the better they will make your product.

Prime 1 haven't proven a thing. Wait until that Dog Alien actually ships before you judge the quality on the production piece. Even then, Prime 1 have their own factories. They haven't produced anything from Predator yet to compare, and I've seen Prime 1 statues in person. Yes, some look fantastic, but not all their production pieces are without issues.

This isn't a post defending Sideshow by the way. I've never cared who makes the product I buy. My comment was merely in response to the assumption that 10 years passed = must be better made collectibles due to changes in tech and materials, which I don't think is the case as inflation has also occurred in this time.

I wasn't talking about production pieces. It just so happens that Prime 1 have exceptional quality in that department also which is a nice bonus. But the Prime 1/CP Dog alien is unbelievably spectacular. I can't really think of many things they could do to improve it? I never expect perfection, but that is as close as we're probably likely to see for that character. Now compare that to this P1 which is another case of close, but no cigar which we've sadly become accustomed to now. It's nice enough, I'd buy one if it were much cheaper as it looks like a P1. But there's so many little things off about it that all add up, and then some very obvious mistakes also such as his armour being in the wrong place. I mean would people buy a batman PF if it's ears were in the wrong place? I get that you like this, and I would never try to diminish your excitement, we all have different expectations. But when the competition are making near perfect representations of similar characters (with the P1 coming down the line, here's to hoping it's as good as the dog!) Sideshow should probably be doing better is all. They have the resources if they really wanted to and let's not forget that this thing costs a fortune in reality, it's hardly a cheap, fun little statue. Who knows, maybe Prime 1 entering the game will kick SSC into gear and they'll give us the ultimate P1 in LSF form that blows us all away... Stranger things have happened and I sincerely hope they can. It's never too late to try to improve and Sideshow can certainly make superb statues!

And it's no assumption that statues have become much better in general over the last decade, you only need compare a few. My point was simply that a 1/4 P1 made 10 years+ after the old 1/4 P1 should be a bit more refined at least. but it's arguably a downgrade sadly.

So today at “Work” I decided to put up photos of the statue next to promo photos from old.

I was just looking to see exactly what is the issue although I know, I still never had them side by side. This is strictly about the unmasked head and I am not nor claim to be a Predator Buff. I am just putting the PF pix next to Promo pix. That is all I am using.

Well most of the head looks just like the movie photos but these are the 2 biggest take-a-ways I can see and one is just lazy and the other is just artistic.

1 - The face pose is an artistic choice. I am just guessing they didn’t want to have his mouth open which would be more inline of how you always see him. I think maybe it would not fit his relaxed pose to have it open? No bashing me I am just guessing it was some reason like that. I just cannot believe it was due to being that dumb and not looking at photos.

Additionally I had a straight on photo and it really looked in the same proportions as the movie. I think it is just the angle of his head meaning his is not specifically looking straight out and more downward like your're next, so we see the top more making it look tall. Again just a thought but I found it to seem pretty close if not the same as the movie photo.

2- The paint on the head. I mean I have to say it was pretty close or decent in most areas. This excludes the top. The one biggest glaring mistake we all know or I guess I only just solidified by looking at the promo photos was the actual pattern on top.

Using those dots was a lazy ass technique. If the painters had just used the correct pattern I think many could get over the slight color difference. I am a big fan of the predator but I am not a buff to actually realize that pattern was so far off. It was not so much the color of the dots but the dots themselves. After comparing I still think it is ok but now I can see why others are not happy. It is very lazy and Sideshow should not accept that. I actually do not have any pix of the Prototype so if they were dots there, what can buyers really complain about.

I am not complaining as much as calling out lazy. I even think that the profile people do not like is strictly due to the face pose. It is really as if he scrunched his face on purpose as an expression picked by the sculptor not so much what we see in the film for 5 minutes.

I did only plan to use the helmet so I am strongly considering doing a detailed repaint of it. I do not see why I could not do the paint work by taking my time with the references I have found online. My only concern would be what to use so I will have to look that up.

My plan would be to repaint the base color first and then redo the pattern to the more cheetah like way in interlocks. No I am not saying it is a cheetah pattern as I will use a reference. I am saying it kind of breaks up into pieces that fit together similar to a cheetah and are not simple splotches. That is why I say they are lazy painters.

Matching the pale yellowish color will be super tough but I think I can get it close. Additionally maybe if I was brave I would hit the mouth a little with some pink lol or whatever that color is and even some black wash in the center. Not too much though.

So that is my thoughts on the head and face. I do think a tiny split up front would have helped a ton.

Thanks to the member of staff for the de-lousing :clap

You're welcome.

Let me just remind Freaks about something from our Code of Conduct:

Respect the Product Creators
We encourage professionals from the collectibles industry to interact with members and provide information and solicit feedback from their fans. When posting remember that someone worked very hard to bring that collectible to life and be respectful of that hard work. Criticism should always be constructive and generalizations such as calling items "crap" or similar terms will be deleted. Persisting in this behavior will result in infractions and/or banning.

Calling an item a name kind of is constructive criticism. Not that I have but I think when people do it is constructive.

I also doubt they read the posts anyway but maybe they do. If they did they may fix the things people post 10000000000 times but not that I do that.

I typically do not visit threads I have not purchased the item for.

While I think I don't do these things I also think people that do have a right to express what they think. While against the code of conduct it seems more against freedom of expression. I suppose you waive those rights when you join the forum?

Just asking politely.

You're welcome.

Let me just remind Freaks about something from our Code of Conduct:

Adding to this, to me there is also a fine line of offering criticism of a product, and bashing it to a point where others lose their excitement of their purchase or are made to feel bad for liking it in the first place. To be clear, I am NOT saying that has gone on here, or that I have ever felt that way, but as a long time lurker on these forums I have definitely seen it happen.
Constructive criticism of a product is a good thing. But bashing something just to be a a-hole about things is a different matter. And I'll use Spike as an example without his permission...he has made it clear form day one what his issues with this statue are, and he is justified (and correct) in doing so. But he has never made me feel like an idiot for being excited about receiving it, or keeping it despite its glaring issues (like the freaking head falls off....I'm also looking at you, Wolf LSB).

Just remember that each of our collections are personal to us, and being respectful of other members is always a good thing.

I wasn't talking about production pieces. It just so happens that Prime 1 have exceptional quality in that department also which is a nice bonus. But the Prime 1/CP Dog alien is unbelievably spectacular. I can't really think of many things they could do to improve it? I never expect perfection, but that is as close as we're probably likely to see for that character. Now compare that to this P1 which is another case of close, but no cigar which we've sadly become accustomed to now. It's nice enough, I'd buy one if it were much cheaper as it looks like a P1. But there's so many little things off about it that all add up, and then some very obvious mistakes also such as his armour being in the wrong place. I mean would people buy a batman PF if it's ears were in the wrong place? I get that you like this, and I would never try to diminish your excitement, we all have different expectations. But when the competition are making near perfect representations of similar characters (with the P1 coming down the line, here's to hoping it's as good as the dog!) Sideshow should probably be doing better is all. They have the resources if they really wanted to and let's not forget that this thing costs a fortune in reality, it's hardly a cheap, fun little statue. Who knows, maybe Prime 1 entering the game will kick SSC into gear and they'll give us the ultimate P1 in LSF form that blows us all away... Stranger things have happened and I sincerely hope they can. It's never too late to try to improve and Sideshow can certainly make superb statues!

And it's no assumption that statues have become much better in general over the last decade, you only need compare a few. My point was simply that a 1/4 P1 made 10 years+ after the old 1/4 P1 should be a bit more refined at least. but it's arguably a downgrade sadly.

OK fair enough mate, I may have misunderstood and thought you were referring to quality. I just see a lot of praise for Prime 1 in these parts assuming they are going to make the ultimate Preds and Aliens, and while they may do so, I just think they promise a lot but so far haven't delivered anything yet, so it's premature to assume they are going to knock it out of the park when it comes to Predator. They do nice work for sure, but they have also released some crappy items as well (90's turtles for example, which look worse in the likeness department than NECA's efforts).

The Dog Alien does look perfect really, but if I can recall, the sculpt was from Cool Props. Did they use the actual props for this piece? To me it all comes down to the production piece and whether they can match that awesome paint job. While the Dog Alien is nice, I would prefer to compare apples with apples really. When Prime 1 do a movie Predator piece, I will judge then and see how they compare to Sideshow's efforts. So far, the only other alternative has been Cinemaquette.

You do make valid points about all the little issues with this adding up and making you not want it, and I totally get that. If I had the original Maquette like you, I would probably be more critical as well and less tolerant of these issues, but I really want a 1/4 scale P1 and this is the only affordable option right now. It also happens that the pose perfectly compliments the Dutch PF, which is the main reason I want it really. Not sure I'd want it as much otherwise.

You're right, as far as accuracies go, Sideshow should be doing better, and it's a shame they don't listen to feedback like some other companies do. No idea why some choices get made (such as the thigh armour).

While statues should be better now, with the cost of manufacturing up and companies like Sideshow trying to maximize their profit margins, I see shortcuts being taken by some companies (Sideshow in this case). The old Maquette was made with SWS so I didn't expect another one to be better to be honest, but it would have been a nice surprise.

With more companies making Predator and Alien products now, hopefully there will be something for everyone. I'm open to buying another Jungle Hunter from another company if they make a better one than this.

Believe it or not, I think statues these years tend to get lower qualities from 8 years ago in certain aspects. The cost of manufacturing went up so much we can't get real good things anymore unless they break 2K wall. And even that, some characters just couldn't be done right unless you do custom paint/ touch-up yourself.

And Prime 1 isn't all that great IMO after Bayformers Megatron & Optimus. Their Knight Optimus can be sold at 2K only because he got resculpted/repaint/resale to oblivion (Gold/Knight/Ultimate/TLK... it's the same reason why SS could sell Thanos oT for less, they made 4200 of him). What kind of material their Dog Alien will be made from isn't even specified. Their new G1 Optimus doesn't look even close to the prototype, more like glossy oversized plastic toy to be honest, and that's 1K statue.

OK fair enough mate, I may have misunderstood and thought you were referring to quality. I just see a lot of praise for Prime 1 in these parts assuming they are going to make the ultimate Preds and Aliens, and while they may do so, I just think they promise a lot but so far haven't delivered anything yet, so it's premature to assume they are going to knock it out of the park when it comes to Predator. They do nice work for sure, but they have also released some crappy items as well (90's turtles for example, which look worse in the likeness department than NECA's efforts).

The Dog Alien does look perfect really, but if I can recall, the sculpt was from Cool Props. Did they use the actual props for this piece? To me it all comes down to the production piece and whether they can match that awesome paint job. While the Dog Alien is nice, I would prefer to compare apples with apples really. When Prime 1 do a movie Predator piece, I will judge then and see how they compare to Sideshow's efforts. So far, the only other alternative has been Cinemaquette.

While Prime 1 did inherit the original Coolprops sculpt for the Dog, they said they were keeping the pose but improving the sculpt and adding detail. If you compare pics of the Coolprops sculpt to the final Prime 1 piece you can see a huge improvement. Notice how soft the sculpt is on the Coolprops piece around the neck, jaw, and arms compared to the amount of detail in the sculpt on the final Prime 1 piece.

attachment.php

attachment.php

oTrzz0q.jpg

In regards to the Predator 1 maquette, i've seen pics up on facebook and I had a look through this thread yesterday. I'll just say that I'm personally glad I didn't end up ordering this guy. Things like the thigh armour and fused mandibles would drive me crazy and I don't see the quality matching the price tag.

While Prime 1 did inherit the original Coolprops sculpt for the Dog, they said they were keeping the pose but improving the sculpt and adding detail. If you compare pics of the Coolprops sculpt to the final Prime 1 piece you can see a huge improvement. Notice how soft the sculpt is on the Coolprops piece around the neck, jaw, and arms compared to the amount of detail in the sculpt on the final Prime 1 piece.

In regards to the Predator 1 maquette, i've seen pics up on facebook and I had a look through this thread yesterday. I'll just say that I'm personally glad I didn't end up ordering this guy. Things like the thigh armour and fused mandibles would drive me crazy and I don't see the quality matching the price tag.

Et tu Rebecca ?!?!?! - here I am trying desperately NOT to shell-out on that PRIME Dog Alien, and you post pics of it in THIS thread !!!!!

It's a conspiracy I tell you!

Back