New Buffy Line Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we get a Cordy, I think it's only fair if it's from the Cordy line. Both because she was more important there and because she had better outfits. Considering the past female statues, it looks like sluttyness is more important that good fitting outfits (Buffy & Willow would never wear that), but I think they could go for one of the promo shoots in You're Welcome. I mean, there's cleavage, nice outfit, cool pose, everything.

*google*

The promo pic used for reference to the right in this drawing https://btvsfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=fanartjoss&action=display&thread=13168

I agree with you that Cordy should be with the Angel line, and not Buffy's.

I've always wanted a really good Giles statue as I think the character deserves it. Sadly I know thats not gonna happen any time soon.

And man, how awesome would a Giles be? He's part of the core so he wouldn't be an odd character to have done. But would he sell? I dunno. I know I'd buy him!

I didn't like Cordy in either show, so I wouldn't even buy her regardless. However if they did one, the should make her a part of the Angel line, hell no one even liked her in Buffy, except for Xander, where as in Angel they were her friends.

For the Buffy line I'd like to see Giles and Xander as they were apart of the core four. But I dont know how well they would sell. I think an Anya with a switchable Anyanka head would be cool. I never liked Dawn so I wouldn't buy at statue of her. So really I'm thinking Anya next as there have been 2 male releases in a row with Angel and Spike, then do Xander and Giles. I also wouldn't mind a different Buffy version, maybe one standing up to go with the Faith, or some type of action shot?

Angel version I dont think I would buy anything. Most of the characters wouldn't really make great statues like Wesley, Fred or Gunn. Angel and Spike are.already in the Buffy line, so it leaves Cordy, Illirya and Connor. Illirya would be the most interesting as she has a different look.

There's plenty of supporting characters that I'd like to see such as Drusilla, Darla and even some of the big bads, but that is unlikely to happen.

The only issue I have with a swap out portrait, and believe me, I believe that 3 years ago I mentioned on this forum for ssc to do an Anya with a swap out Anyanka head...I just am not sure about the rest of her body. Her neck, chest, hands and arms even get all demony so just a swap portrait would only cover her face and neck. Therefore they would need to put her in a full body outfit that doesn't reveal too much. Maybe give us switch out demon hands with the head...that would work.

I would love a Giles statue, he was one of the main characters, there from the beginning. But I'm not holding breath.

I'm of the opinion that Cordelia should go to the Angel series.

Hi--first time poster. I own both the Buffy and Willow statues from the current line and have ordered Faith. I have no interest in Spike (not a fan) or Angel (I'm a guy and I don't need to spend $250 for a statue of David Boreanaz), but I of course have my own favorites as far as characters that should be attempted after Angel. I also have my own ideas about which characters might be most economically feasible for Sideshow.

Firstly, I would politely dispute BuffyGirl's initial post--I think Xander is an immediate line-killer and I don't think Anya has anywhere near enough of a following to be likely. And we need to not only think of the relative popularity of characters but also the style of this statue line. While I think they overdid the sexiness with Willow, I think it's obvious Sideshow is going for "edgy" here--not just because of Buffy and Willow's outfits but also the posing and facial expressions (Buffy on her throne looking at you like a cat eyeing a mouse; Willow nearly striking a cheerleader pose; Faith looking simultaneously smoking hot and like someone you definitely wouldn't want to meet ina dark alley; Angel looking arrogantly confident.) Compared to the lifeless PF Buffy line I think these statues, warts and all (the Buffy likeness isn't quite there and her hair color is a mess) are a step up. But again, we have to consider the edgy aesthetic Sideshow has been going for.

I don't think Xander fits that aesthetic. I also don't think very many men would pick him up, which leaves mostly the female audience base, and how many of them are huge fans of Xander? (I write Buffy fanfic and 95% of my audience is female and let me tell you, I get a lot of e-mail thanking me for killing Xander off.) If we need an original Scooby Gang member, Giles should be next. As for branching out beyond them, I think Tara needs to be taken more seriously as a candidate. Her popularity is far greater with the fans than Anya's and her character was far more important to the show. No one is clambering for Anya to be resurrected but a vocal group of people have wanted Tara back for years. Also Tara would look neat standing beside Willow on a shelf. Another thing--after two straight releases of male characters, I'm betting Sidesow wants a female next. Assuming we don't get an Illyria until Sideshow launches an Angel line, who are our contenders?

Well, the list goes like this, but not all of them are viable candidates:
Joyce
Dawn
Cordy
Harmony
Jenny
Tara
Anya
Dru
Darla
Glory

Joyce is a no-go; no one is buying that statue. I'd personally love a Dawn statue but she divided the fanbase and also Sideshow might be leery of including a younger character in this line, judging by the sexiness on display so far. Cordy works, but she's risky because she's second tier and not often discussed and I'd prefer her in an Angel line. Harmony makes no sense unless the line is so wildly successful that Sideshow puts out 25 statues. Jenny makes no sense for the same reason, unless Sideshow was to give us a Giles/Jenny diorama in the same scale. I would argue that Tara is the most popular "good guy" female outside of the core four, and also that she's more popular than Xander. Dru is a nice choice because she's such a striking visual, she fits this line's aesthetic perfectly, she'd go well with Angel and Spike, and I think this line needs an outright villain. Darla is a notch less interesting than Dru. Glory is two notches less interesting than Darla.

So my picks for likely female figures: Tara and Drusilla, with Dru getting a slight edge because she's an official bad guy and the line needs one of those. I also think a brand new Buffy or Willow is just as likely, but unless they're extremely interesing (The Wish Buffy? Vamp Willow?) they could exhaust collectors' patience with the line.

As for likely male candidates? Giles is really the only non-bad guy I can think of, unless we want to trot out Wesley, but I don't know if he's part of the Angel license and besides, Giles has a better shot of selling out since we already have Buffy and Willow to join him. Wesley will work better when we get an Illyria. The Mayor would be wonderful to go with Faith, especially since we've never gotten anything for him--no action figures, no statues, nothing. But how popular is he really? Would 700 people out there be willing to shell out the bucks for him? I certainly would, but that's just me.

Sideshow has a problem with this license--it's hard for them to know which characters are popular enough to support a statue after Buffy/Willow/Faith/Spike/Angel. In fact it's a real roll of the dice. So maybe Sideshow will get creative, assuming this line is their last hurrah with the Buffy license, and give us a character that would look great as a statue and has enough of a following among fans to (maybe) sell if executed properly. Maybe they roll the dice and instead of giving us the "core five" followed by a series of repaints, they branch out and go with a character they honestly would have fun sculpting, someone we haven't seen a lot of, someone with lots of eye appeal; in that case I think both Tara and Dru get another nod.

One last point (I see you all nodding off, wake up!): I think we also need to consider character combinations. I have no desire at all for a Wesley, but if Sidehsow gives us an Illyria I'd consider buying a Wesley. Dru might not have worked early in the line but with Spike and Angel on the way she suddenly looks a lot better on the shelf. And Tara would be wonderful with Willow, and if Sideshow really did Tara justice I bet ebay sales of the Willow statue would really pick up. Collectors like to buy thing in sets, they like things to look good next to each other on the shelf. Think of the DC Comics fan who hates Aquaman but picks up a statue of him anyway just to complete his Justice League line. Tara, in a way, "completes" Willow, just as Drusilla "completes" Spike and the Mayor "completes" Faith.

So, after all that preamble, my picks, in no particular order:

most likely: Tara, Giles, Buffy re-do
most wanted by me: Drusilla, Tara, the Mayor

Anyway, that's my long-winded opinion. Thanks for listening!

--Mark

I think what makes the most sense is Xander. But mayb they will want to go for a girl now.

It's just that they've had two of the three main character on Buffy, and then went for Faith, Angel & Spike because they were popular characters. So now, both out need to "get all three" and for popularities sake, I can't see it go any other way than Xander. Unless they start making Angel characters. In that case, my money is on Cordelia. She was one of the main characters for 4 years, is popular and sexy, so I bet they'd go for her. Or Illyria, since she would simply look awesome and is very popular considering how little we saw of her on the show. Also, one of the prettiest characters on Angel.

I honestly don't think we will see an Angel line. This line hasn't done terrible but it also hasn't done that well either. They know the core characters will probably so pretty well so I think it will depend on what character they do after Angel. If that does well then they might do another Buffy character.

If after that the next do well maybe they will think about an Angel line.

I see them trying to do a Xander, Giles or Cordy and seeing if those do well before they proceed with an Angel line. If they could actually see those three to the masses then they are in a better position but I could see those three not selling well and just to the hardcore fans. Especially if prices keep increasing.

Casual fans are going to pick up a Buffy, Spike and Angel. To me Willow and Faith are stretches for the real casual fans.

For my two cents I would personally want them to save a Cordy for a potential Angel line - she was more important over there to me. In terms of Buffy I think it has to be Xander or Giles in forefront, like BuffyGirl said - need the core complete surely. I think it would be rather rude to Xander to not do him next myself, given we have had a Willow - I can understand there may be less demand for him though.

EDIT > Forgot to say, I still think that Buffy's statue is not quite up to par compared to the newer ones - Anybody reckon there is any chance of another (better) Buffy? She'd get my vote cos I'd love a partner for my Faith! :D

So why was I singled out? Yeesh.

And you may want a Tara, and a lot of people out there may want a Tara, but I think a lot of them are more fans of Willow/Tara and I don't think she'd sell as well as Anya. Because we're not talking 'fans' of, we're talking collectors. There is a big difference. I like the ladies as much as any other girl who likes the ladies. But I would spend my money on an Anya before a Tara. But then again, that is my opinion and mine alone. Everyone else could disagree with me.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Sideshow seems stuck on season 3 with their Buffy product. Yet they jumped straight to the end of the Angel series with the stuff they did for Angel. Go figure.

I would be shocked to see Tara or Anya or any Buffy character beyond season 3. On the other hand, if they jump over to Angel, I would expect an Illyria to be number 1 or 2 behind Angel.

So have they already announced the Buffy statue line is on hiatus after Angel like the 12" and PF before them? It doesn't surprise me. Actually, I am a bit surprised they got to 5 releases before giving up this time. SSC honestly seems clueless about how to handle this franchise. To be fair, it's a tough one, because the fanbase is not the typical geek boy one they are most comfortable with. $40 poseable action figures, yes, we can handle. $250 statues? Eh, that's a hard sell to many here, especially when the quality is inconsistent and sometimes quite lacking.

Hi BuffyGirl, and thanks fior the welcome. I really dig your pic by the way. Sorry to single you out, but you did start the disussion... :)

We’ll have to agree to disagree about Tara vesus Anya but I don’t really get your “fans versus collectors” argument. The people collecting this line are fans and I bet not too many of them are casual ones. Tara will look great with Willow on the shelf and Anya will look great with no one particularly. As for visual flair, Tara can blow Anya out of the water with one of her witchy hippy outfits, unless Sideshow decided to give us Anyanka instead of Anya. I just think that if we could poll the overall fanbase Tara would come out way ahead of Anya in terms of popularity. And fans of Willow and Tara together wouldn’t have a problem, as we already have a pretty cool Willow figure. If anything it might convince Sideshow to do a new Willow.

As for Xander, I think he helped kill the DST action figure line and I think he’ll help kill this line too. Yes, he was a core member of the gang but very few people actually love him compared to say, Giles. I also think that Giles can give us a much better looking statue (and how about a Ripper special edition--tee-shirt, cigarettes?) Finally, I think Xander loses lots and lots of male buyers and doesn’t make up for it with females. I'm not saying Sideshow definitely won't do him next, but if they do Xander next I think they're making a terrible mistake. Think about it. How lame would Xander look on the shelf? Forget about the character's popularity or lack of it--there's nothing visually interesting about him. How many guys are going to want to spend $250 for a statue of Xander? At least Angel and Spike look cool.

Binky, I agree the line’s a tough one to figure for any company--so many characters, and yet once you hit second tier in terms of popularity and name recognition (which I would define as pretty much everyone other than the five figures Sidehow is producing) it becomes a real toss-up. Tara versus Xander, Dru versus the Master, who knows? I can write all day about how I think Drusilla would be a vibrant, exciting addition to the line who will look killer on the shelf and go perfectly with Spike, but maybe if they made her the fandom would just give a collective shrug. Lots of characters, everyone has different favorites.

My advice to Sideshow: if they take another crack at a statue line gives us episode-specific dioramas. Buffy versus Faith at the end of season three, Buffy and Spike kissing, Willow and Tara holding hands for the first time, Spike and Dru torturing Angel, the gang in their Halloween outfits, etc.

Last edited:
Anya will be a bigger seller.

Her character was unique, funny, and sometimes stole scenes from the show. Tara didn't so much.

Anya would become more relevant through the series. Her figure sales based on the MAC lineup, and what the secondary demonstrated was how desirable she was as a collectible. Tara never had that impact. btw Ebay prices (bidded on) exceeded 200+ for an Anya w/bunny outfit.

Plus, everyone knows Emma Caufield blows away Amber Benson in the aesthetics department. No disrespect to Amber, she is a beauty herself. But Emma is pin-up beautiful. She was the eye candy replacement for when Charisma Carpenter took off to do Angel.

Plus, she was Xander Harris' girl, and for one half an episode, she was also Rupert Giles'. For 5 Buffy points, which episode was she Giles' girl? :)

Eli26, I respectfully disagree with all of that. There are tons of Willow/Tara fans out there that Sideshow might not have tapped yet, who might jump in for a Tara statue and then go looking for a Willow on ebay for their shelves, but won't jump into the line at all without a Tara statue. There is no great outpouring of passion for Anya in Buffy fandom circles, while Tara is still talked about. And as for Emma being the "eye candy replacement" for Charisma Carpenter--she was actually meant to be the character who gets in people's faces and says the things others are too polite to say, just like Cordy used to be. The group needed someone who could be tactlessly blunt and create conflict. (This is directly from Joss Whedon.) It wasn't at all about eye candy. (And let's just say I really, really disagree with you about Emma being "pin-up" material--they would never have paired Xander with a pinup--but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.) Though I admit Emma can certainly dance.

At the end of the day I might be dead wrong, but if producing a Tara statue is a risk for Sideshow, an Anya statue is at least as much of a risk. There are no sure bets after Angel. Personally I'd go with Dru next if I had to choose. I'd suppose she might have crossover appeal to general monster collectors too.

Eli26, I respectfully disagree with all of that. There are tons of Willow/Tara fans out there that Sideshow might not have tapped yet, who might jump in for a Tara statue and then go looking for a Willow on ebay for their shelves, but won't jump into the line at all without a Tara statue. There is no great outpouring of passion for Anya in Buffy fandom circles, while Tara is still talked about. And as for Emma being the "eye candy replacement" for Charisma Carpenter--she was actually meant to be the character who gets in people's faces and says the things others are too polite to say, just like Cordy used to be. The group needed someone who could be tactlessly blunt and create conflict. (This is directly from Joss Whedon.) It wasn't at all about eye candy. (And let's just say I really, really disagree with you about Emma being "pin-up" material--they would never have paired Xander with a pinup--but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.) Though I admit Emma can certainly dance.

At the end of the day I might be dead wrong, but if producing a Tara statue is a risk for Sideshow, an Anya statue is at least as much of a risk. There are no sure bets after Angel. Personally I'd go with Dru next if I had to choose. I'd suppose she might have crossover appeal to general monster collectors too.

And Cordelia wasn't in your face, and say what others wouldn't say character? Of course, Anya was that and than some. Just saying. :)

This is not opinions, but facts. Tara and Willow were huge, but for marketing and collectibles, Anya owned. Well, for MAC/Diamond Select figure sales since that's all we can go on (and no Anya and/or Tara product of the SSC variety), history tells us this.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Personally I think SSC will stop the Buffy line here. At the price they are charging for these statues, I don't see enough people willing to plunk down that kind of cash for secondary characters. Once you start doing that you pretty much need to buy them all and that means you need a shelf worth about $2,500.
As far as character choice, they have clearly marketed this line toward those who find the scantily clad ladies most desirable. With that in mind Anya would sell much better unless they go with a totally idealized Tara which would look nothing like the character,(Amber Benson has looked much better in her subsequent roles than she ever did in Buffy) unless of course they put her in a pose that could stand in suggestive manner next to Willow, provoking Howard Stern-esque fantasies.
Seth Green has a big fan base, so Oz might sell. Cordy is stunning so she would sell.
Joyce, Giles, Tara, Dawn etc... for $250+... I don't think so.

Personally I think SSC will stop the Buffy line here. At the price they are charging for these statues, I don't see enough people willing to plunk down that kind of cash for secondary characters. Once you start doing that you pretty much need to buy them all and that means you need a shelf worth about $2,500.
As far as character choice, they have clearly marketed this line toward those who find the scantily clad ladies most desirable. With that in mind Anya would sell much better unless they go with a totally idealized Tara which would look nothing like the character,(Amber Benson has looked much better in her subsequent roles than she ever did in Buffy) unless of course they put her in a pose that could stand in suggestive manner next to Willow, provoking Howard Stern-esque fantasies.
Seth Green has a big fan base, so Oz might sell. Cordy is stunning so she would sell.
Joyce, Giles, Tara, Dawn etc... for $250+... I don't think so.

CORDY IN SCHOOL GIRL OUTFIT - GO FISH EPISODE! Watch!

*drools*

I have to agree that the line could quite possibly end with Angel. Buffy isn't the first license to not have every main character given the ss treatment. Some characters will sell and others won't. I think what we're really looking here is which characters are iconic enough for a statue to be made of them. Buffy, Angel, Spike, Willow and Faith certainly fall under that status, but I dont think any other Buffy character does. Only serious Buffy collectors would buy these statues for the price they are. I didn't even want the Willow one, so even all the statues made now haven't been a must for me.

Like I said, Angel is the last one for now. There are no plans as of right now to make any more. Which leads me to believe that will be that.

Some of the characters that Mel mentioned wanting would definitely not work in a statue. I know I LOVED the Mayor but I wouldn't ever dare pay $250 for him. Not even $100 honestly. And I know I'm not alone. If they made one I'd be like...mmmkay? Why? BUT, he may have worked okay had be been given the 1/6 treatment. Any other way, not going to happen.

Realistically they will not give us any side characters. They could have given us more with the 1/6 line like we asked. But they didn't. Sales were down. So if they aren't doing it for 1/6, they sure as heck aren't doing it for 1/5.

Mel, there is a difference between a fan of the show, and a collector. A bunch of fans who read your fic and love Tara, etc...they are fans. They are not collectors, most likely. They aren't the ones going to ssc and dishing out $250 for statues. But they are sitting there reading your fic. It is free in the end.

Then there's us. Collectors. Where we spend thousands of dollars on statues. We are the ones that Sideshow will be worried about. Will we the collector buy a Tara over Anya? No. You may, but the majority of us will not.

So that's where I was going with that. Hope it cleared it up!

Either way, Buffy collectibles has been a heated discussion because we are all passionate about our favorite show. And we feel like ssc has not given us what we've asked for. The reality is, they would if the market was there. Just not enough people dishing out the dough these days.

I still think it would be a REALLY good idea for them to drop the Buffy line right now, and work on Angel. I love Buffy as much as my fellow freak who is obsessed. But let's face it, sales for secondary characters wouldn't be high enough. So, if they swap to Angel, the newest Angel figure is kind of a lead in. The base he's on is definitely more Angel then it is Buffy. So they could move to Cordy next, then Illyria. This would be two female forces after two males were delivered. I think it could honestly work. But dang it, I want a Wes! That's for me though. Would he sell? Probably a few handfuls.

"Then there's us. Collectors. Where we spend thousands of dollars on statues. We are the ones that Sideshow will be worried about. Will we the collector buy a Tara over Anya? No. You may, but the majority of us will not."

BuffyGirl, how exactly do you know that? Unless everyone who buys Sideshow statues is on this forum, and everyone who buys Sideshow Buffy statues is responding to this discussion, you can't possibly know that, and yet you're stating it as a fact. So far something like ten people have weighed in on this discussion and we're hardly a representative sampling. You seem to love Anya--okay, fine. But that doesn't mean 700 other people out there love her more than Tara, and enough to shell out $250. The only thing we know for certain is that Tara is a more popular character among the general fandom, and her advocates are far more passionate than Anya's fans are. Whether that translates into merchandise sales is another story, but if I were taking a chance I'd take a chance on the more popular character. It just makes better business sense.

And my suggestion of Tara has nothing to do with my fanfic. Tara elicits actual passion in the fanbase, whereas Anya is just sort of there. Your "fans versus collectors" argument stipulates that fans won't buy merchandise for some reason, only collectors will, but I find that assertion highly suspect without some sort of evidence to back it up. People willing to drop $250 on a Buffy statue are by definition fans. There are lots of passionate Tara fans in the Buffy community. Maybe a Tara statue would convince them to come on board this line.

Still, I think Drusilla is the safest bet for the next statue (if there is one.) She's a female who fits the aesthetic of these statues, she has a great look, she goes nicely with Spike, she's our first outright villain, she's never had a great statue, and she'll generate interest among both male and female buyers. Giles might sound safe but I'm not sure how many guys pay $250 for a Giles statue, and this line is dependent upon male collectors. I wouldn't buy a Giles, not until a lot of other characters were produced first. Other than Tara or possibly Dawn, all I'm interested in from now on is the bad guys. Dru, Darla, Illyria...they'd make one hell of a display.

Actually I bet Sideshow decides that an alternate Buffy or Willow is the safest bet if they continue the line (assuming they're saving Cordy for the Angel license). I'd spend the money for a Vamp Willow or a Buffy with a completely different pose/outfit and a better likeness, but I'd be grumbling as I did it.

I'm not going to get into this more, because I am not a fan of arguing. I am not saying a Tara statue wouldn't garner sales. I'm saying that an Anya statue would probably garner MORE sales than Tara.

You don't have to agree with me, just as I don't agree with you. See, works both ways.
:D

As sad as it is sex sells. With that being said IF the line continues it will more than likely be Cordy or Anya. As much as we love Tara; she is just not considered the sexiest or can be made as sexy as the other two. I would buy a Tara, Giles, Xander or even a Mayor but that is because I am a completist. As much as we like to think SSC makes these statues just for us; that is not true. Yes they count on a certain number of sales from the fans but their goal is also to bring in some newb with a great piece. That's why they advertise; like their banners on Ain't It Cool News. It's easier to bring in fresh blood to a line with something appealing (sexy). I know if they released a Tara and Anya at the same time and I could only afford one; it would Anya. How about everyone else?

I enjoy stalking the forum and reading a good debate as much as the next person, but we as fans or collectors (or even collectors of fans) should really focus on what we can do to keep a line like this alive.

I'm not going to get into this more, because I am not a fan of arguing. I am not saying a Tara statue wouldn't garner sales. I'm saying that an Anya statue would probably garner MORE sales than Tara.

You don't have to agree with me, just as I don't agree with you. See, works both ways.
:D

I definitely agree with this. I personally hate Tara so I would never purchase her regardless but I think Anya would definitely sell better than Tara.

Back