new Anakin/Obi sculpts...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to your supposition about my recieving a handpainted work to alter- the fact is, no I wouldn't and haven't. I'm one of the few who actually got their Andgor Hannibal Lecter head, which was beautifully handpainted. I felt I could have done better, but I respected the hard work that went into the painting, which was in a different style from my own. Likewise, I have DA's superb Capt. Jack Sparrow repaint. Are there some things I would do differently? Perhaps. But one of the reasons I got it was because it was DA's work, and amazing work at that. The pride of my meager Medicom collection, it is.

As to the factory painters being artists, no they are not. An artist chooses his own color palette. They don't. An artist has tangental perogative (sp?), they do not. An artist has the free will to modify, alter, grow as he learns new things. They do not. They may be artists at home, but at the factory, they're cogs churning out product that was pre-designed before they sat down on their crates.

The clothing, likewise, gets altered at the factory, and is never exactly what it was when it was handstitched for the proto.

As to your tweaking, I don't find it offensive by any stretch. But I'm very protective of my own work, and I think I may not be alone in that.

It's nice to have an adult conversation (and thankyou Dannie, for whatever the hell it is you are doing, you odd person). You've made a valid case for your work, and I appreciate that you took the time to voice your opinion on the subject. We set ourselves up for scrutiny whenever we post our work publicly, and you've handled it with grace and tact. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Thanks, HA.

Mikey, as an artist myself, I understand what you are saying but I think there is a difference. Say, I sculpt, paint or draw something and that is an expression of my feelings and emotions, that piece is part of me and there is no other or better way to represent it. If someone changes that version, it is a violation.
However, in this case someone comes to the sculptor and says " I want Anakin, with a stern expression, mouth closed with his hair neatly placed". The artist' is now working for someone else's vision and not their own. He may very well submit a version very close to what HA has made but maybe LFL wants a stronger jawline. Look at Andy's original Mace sculpt, which I felt looked alot more like SLJ, but LFL wanted it changed. It is no longer solely that artist' vision.
In this case HA isn't saying he is improving on a 'crappy' sculpt or that he is better, he is making changes to his tastes, which some others happen to agree with. These guys are pros and as such I'm sure have some pretty thick skin, and on some level appreciate where someone else takes their work.

IMO its black or white.

if you think changing the sculpt and selling the recast is bad, but repainting is not, then youre belittling the paint job just as much as resulpting is belittling the sculpt. You cant cast stones at someone for selling a resculpt/altered sculpt and then sell repaints and think theres nothing wrong with that.

From sculpting to painting to tailoring, all facets of the each product is, to a point, an artistic form.

either you A. leave the prodcut as-is or B. Alter it to your liking
you cant sit on the fence and say one way of altering is bad and the other is not just cause youre altering something different than the other guy.

as far as which is right? Im not sure myself.
and NONE of what stated is directed at any one individual. Just my thoughts on the general topic.

good point anzik. By mikeys argument about the factory painters, i think the same can be said about the headsculpt itself. Since the original artist of the headsculpt is sort of at LFL's control when it comes down to authorizing it for production.

His initial sumbmissions are purely his design and vision, but once LFL tells them to change this or that can it still be considered his artistic design?

DannieDarKo said:
My thoughts exactly!! Martha Stewart should of never gone to prison, I mean who was going to take care of her beautiful Chow Chow and the lovable Boston Terrier while she was gone!?!?! :monkey1

I think her maid ate them while she was away.

Customikey said:
As to your tweaking, I don't find it offensive by any stretch. But I'm very protective of my own work, and I think I may not be alone in that.

It's nice to have an adult conversation (and thankyou Dannie, for whatever the hell it is you are doing, you odd person). You've made a valid case for your work, and I appreciate that you took the time to voice your opinion on the subject. We set ourselves up for scrutiny whenever we post our work publicly, and you've handled it with grace and tact. I tip my hat to you, sir.

Thanks, HA.

Neither do I find it offensive. Again, I was just simply bringing it up since most of the time when we see customizing it is just someone doing it for themselves. Thought I'd bring up something we could discuss like adults.

I agree it's nice and I never attacked Darren in any way. I asked a few questions in a manner that I thought was the least amount of stepping on toes as I could. I appreciate Darren for being so open though a couple where not to my questions. Like you said Mikey I appreciate Darren for being so open to share his work and make a valid case for his work and why he is doing this. I'll tip my Hat to Darren as well since he handled this very well and didn't take my questions/posts for more than what they where. Nothing more than a question and no attack in site.

jlcmsu said:
Neither do I find it offensive. Again, I was just simply bringing it up since most of the time when we see customizing it is just someone doing it for themselves. Thought I'd bring up something we could discuss like adults.

I agree it's nice and I never attacked Darren in any way. I asked a few questions in a manner that I thought was the least amount of stepping on toes as I could. I appreciate Darren for being so open though a couple where not to my questions. Like you said Mikey I appreciate Darren for being so open to share his work and make a valid case for his work and why he is doing this. I'll tip my Hat to Darren as well since he handled this very well and didn't take my questions/posts for more than what they where. Nothing more than a question and no attack in site.

I beg to differ, I don't agree with the judges pick! Mario Lopez should of won that season of dancing with the stars!
mario.jpg
slater-screech.jpg

Customikey said:
As to your supposition about my recieving a handpainted work to alter- the fact is, no I wouldn't and haven't. I'm one of the few who actually got their Andgor Hannibal Lecter head, which was beautifully handpainted. I felt I could have done better, but I respected the hard work that went into the painting, which was in a different style from my own. Likewise, I have DA's superb Capt. Jack Sparrow repaint. Are there some things I would do differently? Perhaps. But one of the reasons I got it was because it was DA's work, and amazing work at that. The pride of my meager Medicom collection, it is.

As to the factory painters being artists, no they are not. An artist chooses his own color palette. They don't. An artist has tangental perogative (sp?), they do not. An artist has the free will to modify, alter, grow as he learns new things. They do not. They may be artists at home, but at the factory, they're cogs churning out product that was pre-designed before they sat down on their crates.

The clothing, likewise, gets altered at the factory, and is never exactly what it was when it was handstitched for the proto.

Thanks, HA.

Well alright Mikey but don't tell anyone my secret becuase these are family recipes. Best Muffins you'll ever taste!

2 1/2 c Quick Mix (msg #120121)
4 tb Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
1 c Milk or water
Butter and honey, if desired

Preheat oven 425F (220C). Generously butter muffin
pans. Place Quick Mix in a medium bowl. Add sugar and
mix well. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk or
water. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until
just blended. Fill prepared muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake
15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve hot with
butter and honey, if desired.

Variationss: Raisin, Date or Nut Muffins: Add 1/2 cup
finely choped raisins, dates or nuts to dry
ingredients before adding liquid ingredients. Before
baking, sprinkle generously with mixture of cinnamon
and sugar.

Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup well-drained blueberries
to dry ingredients before adding liquid ingredients.

Oatmeal or Bran Muffins: Reduce Quick Mix to 1 3/4
cups. Add 3/4 cup quick rolled oats or all-bran cereal
to dry ingredients before adding liquid ingredients.

Apple Muffins: Add 1 cup grated rqw apple to dry
ingredients before adding liquid ingredients and
increase baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.

Orange Muffins: Add 1 tablespoon fresh orange peel or
1 1/2 teaspoons dehydrated orange peel to dry
ingredients before adding liquid ingredients.

Cranberry Muffins: Add 2/3 cup chopped cranberries to
dry ingredients before adding liquid ingredients.

To be fair though Josh you claim not to be attacking Darren personally but at least three times in this thread you have called him DIRECTLY 'a plagarist'. Now, it might be me but I'd take that pretty personally.

Darren obviously doesn't care and again you say that you've brought this up for discussion so here we are - discussing the same. Some of us have points that you don't agree with - that's fine but I truly hope that you'd never change anything or ask someone else to change your figures because that would be somewhat spoiling your own point no?

Bottom line - Darren is offering (and by the end of this thread I hope he hasn't changed his mind) recast of the changes he made to Andy's (already excellent) sculpt to make it look a little more Hayden like. It's non-profit so I can't see a problem.

As I said, if he was charging like $50.00 per head I could see your point but he ain't. Costs and shipping does not a profit make.

Im not sure if this has been said or not but heres my feeling on this. Modifying something is fine , its yours to do what you want. If you want to modify the sculpt great, repaint it great. Now the only issue I can see here is the fact that you are considering selling something that is a modifed copy of something that is not your original work. This could be easily considered a copyright violation.

Don't take this as an attack, I think you did a great job.

How can you argue about something as trivial as this when CELINE DION IS STARVING THE WORLDS CHILDREN!!!!

celine.jpg

hunky_artist said:
....it's not working DannieDarko, keep trying :lol

I agree hunky! The spurs have to keep trying if they want the championship again. Although I think the Pheonix Suns with their Steve Nash may give us some competition. :monkey4

spurs_suns4.jpg

abstractharmony said:
To be fair though Josh you claim not to be attacking Darren personally but at least three times in this thread you have called him DIRECTLY 'a plagarist'. Now, it might be me but I'd take that pretty personally.

I haven't called him a plagarist so much as I said this could be taken as a form of. There is a difference or at least IMO there is.

abstractharmony said:
Darren obviously doesn't care and again you say that you've brought this up for discussion so here we are - discussing the same. Some of us have points that you don't agree with - that's fine but I truly hope that you'd never change anything or ask someone else to change your figures because that would be somewhat spoiling your own point no?

Darren I do believe is adult enough to know when someone is actually personally attacking them. I have no problems with customizing or resculpting something. I do think their is a difference between doing that for ones personal satisfaction and doing the same only to sell it. As far as the resculpting goes. Changing the paint IMO is a totally different issue and I agree with Mikey and what he said. I plan on getting my Medicom figure redone into a 501st Clone but again I consider the two issues totally different. Some may look at this as hypacritical but as I said two different issues.

abstractharmony said:
As I said, if he was charging like $50.00 per head I could see your point but he ain't. Costs and shipping does not a profit make.

As MFOGA said in his post any amount COULD be considered a copyright violation and that was something else I wanted to bring up as to protect anyone involved.

mfoga said:
Im not sure if this has been said or not but heres my feeling on this. Modifying something is fine , its yours to do what you want. If you want to modify the sculpt great, repaint it great. Now the only issue I can see here is the fact that you are considering selling something that is a modifed copy of something that is not your original work. This could be easily considered a copyright violation.

That's a good point. I would hate to see Darren in any kind of hot water because of this.

DannieDarKo said:

I agree hunky! The spurs have to keep trying if they want the championship again. Although I think the Pheonix Suns with their Steve Nash may give us some competition. :monkey4

spurs_suns4.jpg

I always knew you were a genius :)

the copyright law thing has been discussed over and over again on different sculpting boards.
Its always the same conclusion. If it would cost the company more in lawyer fees than theyre loosing on the transaction in question, theyre gonna let it slide. Which would cover probably 99% of these cases.

BUT, from what sculptors themselves have stated, if you sculpt, modify a sculpt, repaint, etc a copyrighted character for anyone other than yourself, youve violated the copyright law. Even GIVING away the sculpt in question is a violation. You can only keep it for yourself... but thats if you want to get technical.

people have got to remember, that I didn't make these in order to sell them. I made the Anakin sculpt and learnt how to cast it so I could have my Jedi and Vader versions with my preferred sculpt details.

People were asking if they would have them. So i decided that for the cost of my materials, yes, they could.

And I'm only letting people from this board, who have already bought the relevant figures have them. It's not like I'm taking any money out of Sideshow's or lucas's pocket. These figures are already owned by the people who want a different sculpt or a different paint job.

this isn't a business I'm running here, this is my hobby on the side... and I figured other people could have my custom sculpts too. I'm taking time out of my art business to do this. And I'm losing money considering I got $800 for my last portrait canvas I did for a woman in California.

This is a hobby, plain and simple. People love these figures. People have bought these figures. People want to have their heads customized. And if they ask me I'll do it for them

Darren

p.s. In case that offend other customizers (I seem to be getting everyone up in arms today) let me say that other great customizers are available and this thread in no way should be seen as an advertisement for my own customizing services, lol

hunky_artist said:
And I'm only letting people from this board, who have already bought the relevant figures have them. These figures are already owned by the people who want a different sculpt or a different paint job.

I think that line alone should end this silly debate. Darren is not taking money away from Sideshow or Lucas. He's only offering to help those who have already purchased the respective figures.

Back