new Alien Warrior by Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love and own many of the older SS alien pieces...when they produced fairly limited, high quality products at fairly reasonable prices. I have little to no interest in the over-produced, over-priced pvc/plastic stuff they are putting out now. In my opinion, collectors would be better off seeking out some of their older, better products even if they have to pay up some on the secondary market.

I love and own many of the older SS alien pieces...when they produced fairly limited, high quality products at fairly reasonable prices. I have little to no interest in the over-produced, over-priced pvc/plastic stuff they are putting out now. In my opinion, collectors would be better off seeking out some of their older, better products even if they have to pay up some on the secondary market.

Absolutely, agree! I am not a fan of ss anymore with the crap they keep producing!

It's all plastic of sometype.Polystone and most resins are also plastics.

I'm torn with this one as I just received it yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Pro
Size-it's not too big that you can't put it anywhere. It's big enough to have some good detail.
Sculpt-it's actually a pretty good pose and there are a lot of good, and tiny, details in this.
Base-I personally really like the artistic aspect of the base. Looks very Giger-esque and I like how the top looks similar to the Queen's head crest.

Con
Scale- this is not 1/5th, not even close. I have the Wolf 1/5 statue and was hoping to pair them. That went out the window immediately. It's bigger than a Hot Toys figure, but not 1/5th.
Weight-this can be a pro as well, depending on your point of view. It's light, I mean....very light. Which could be good if you want to display it on a shelf and are worried about weight. The figure itself is just as light as a Hot Toys figure. The base has some heft to it, but is also very light.
Materials-PVC...PVC...PVC. Nothing else to say. I believe most of the base is also PVC.

All in all, I'm 50/50 on this. If it was only $250-$300 this would be a no-brainer purchase for an Aliens fan. But, it wasn't.....

Pro
Size-it's not too big that you can't put it anywhere. It's big enough to have some good detail.
Sculpt-it's actually a pretty good pose and there are a lot of good, and tiny, details in this.
Base-I personally really like the artistic aspect of the base. Looks very Giger-esque and I like how the top looks similar to the Queen's head crest.

Con
Scale- this is not 1/5th, not even close. I have the Wolf 1/5 statue and was hoping to pair them. That went out the window immediately. It's bigger than a Hot Toys figure, but not 1/5th.
Weight-this can be a pro as well, depending on your point of view. It's light, I mean....very light. Which could be good if you want to display it on a shelf and are worried about weight. The figure itself is just as light as a Hot Toys figure. The base has some heft to it, but is also very light.
Materials-PVC...PVC...PVC. Nothing else to say. I believe most of the base is also PVC.

All in all, I'm 50/50 on this. If it was only $250-$300 this would be a no-brainer purchase for an Aliens fan. But, it wasn't.....

I know you bought this and are 50/50 but damn I wouldn't spend 100 bucks for this. Yet side show continues to put out crap like this. I am glad you like it but the fact this is plastic it should cost no more than a 100 dollars just insane to me. Anyways, if you like it that is all that matters. Just sucks that they continue to put stuff out like this. Peace!

I know you bought this and are 50/50 but damn I wouldn't spend 100 bucks for this. Yet side show continues to put out crap like this. I am glad you like it but the fact this is plastic it should cost no more than a 100 dollars just insane to me. Anyways, if you like it that is all that matters. Just sucks that they continue to put stuff out like this. Peace!

Oh, I agree and I'll say that this will be the last thing I pre-order from them. From now on I'll wait for pics and reviews in hand.

You guys realize it costs more to produce in vinyl? They have to create metal molds for that kind of stuff.

You guys realize it costs more to produce in vinyl? They have to create metal molds for that kind of stuff.

I'm not convinced this is true. And if it is, it seems like a lose, lose scenario that they should cease immediately as everybody seems to unanimously despise the recent PVC trend....

Pro

Con

Damn. The only thing I would have gotten this for was to pair it with my 1:5 Wolf. That's out. I was going to sell Wolf, but this had me waiting. Likely will be selling him now.

I'm not convinced this is true. And if it is, it seems like a lose, lose scenario that they should cease immediately as everybody seems to unanimously despise the recent PVC trend....

Yeah mate - it's true that it's more expensive to produce the original metal molds.

The advantage is that they can make THOUSAND and THOUSANDS of vinyl copies from the metal molds instead of having to make NEW silicon molds every 50-200 pulls for the polystone casts.

That way they would get their money back because of the quantity they could (theoretically) sell.

They've been going this route to cut down on breakages & shipping charges - basically - trying to increase their profits.

The irony being they won't sell as many because even when they get the sculpt and paint (and QC) right, it feels like an expensive toy when in-hand instead of a statue (as you've said before - cough-cough - Wolf Predator 1:2 LSB - cough-cough).

It's an all-round dumb decision by them - and I'll be buying bugger-all from them while they continue this manufacturing approach.

They should focus on improving sculpts, paint, QC and PACKING instead - that stands a better chance of increasing profits medium/long term once previously disgruntled customers feel product is worth the money/risk again.

Yeah, this is what I meant by I'm not sure it is true that it costs more (when all things are taken into consideration) They won't have to worry about breakages if all of their customers stop buying stuff. PVC might just achieve that goal...

Is the NECA 30th anniversary 1/4 scaled version figure still better than than this release?

And btw, if this is out, where are all of the in-hand pixs at?

Is the NECA 30th anniversary 1/4 scaled version figure still better than than this release?

Sideshow's long-term storage & plastic recycling area . . .

image.ashx

I got the Neca 1/4 warrior and that beast is damn near perfect. That was the easiest 100$ I've ever spent.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

I gotta say....I've been giving some thought to material and shipping weight and all that that seems to be of consideration for them.

So, how does XM make their justification? Their stuff is cold cast porcelain and ships at like 50 lbs. They have small edition sizes and their pricing is higher, but not disproportionately higher. SS's prices seem to be the curiously high priced pieces. Is XM taking a beating on the earnings or is there more to this than were seeing?

I don't get the materials vs the pricing with Sideshow when everyone else has their amazing, amazing pieces of heavy materials they're shipping out.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Back