Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN is official!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You build us up, and then tear us back down... ;)

IMG_4415.JPG

I would rather Ridley be able to finish his trilogy then see Blomkamps "Aliens 3". He is one of the most respected filmmakers of all time. Fox should have enough respect for the man to give him a smaller budget and the pre-requisite of "you get 1 more film to tie this all together". Having Covenant be the last film in this series doesn't tie these films very well to the original Alien.

Last I heard Ridley had more than a trilogy in mind. I think there was going to be 2 more films after Covenant. Madness really. How much backstory does Alien need?

This video popped up for me today, just watching it now. Gathers various interview clips from when this was going to be a thing. It seemed like such a certainty.

Check out some of Blomkamp's toy collection at 44:00 - looks like the HT Powerloader and Robocop with chair.

Last edited:
This video popped up for me today, just watching it now. Gathers various interview clips from when this was going to be a thing. It seemed like such a certainty.

Check out some of Blomkamp's toy collection at 44:00 - looks like the HT Powerloader and Robocop with chair.

Neill gets a lot of his collectibles at Toy Traders in Langley, BC FYI

I wonder if he's ever been a member here....I mean why not. I can't imagine collecting toys and not wanting to talk about them online. Albeit perhaps not to the extent that I have done over the years

I wonder if he's ever been a member here....I mean why not. I can't imagine collecting toys and not wanting to talk about them online. Albeit perhaps not to the extent that I have done over the years
I imagine a good number of us have interacted with famous people anonymously on the internet, whether it be about collectibles or otherwise. You'd think that places where you can just be a normal person are quite relished when most of your life is under the scrutiny of the public eye. No reason to disclose who you are and throw that window of freedom away.

Last I heard Ridley had more than a trilogy in mind. I think there was going to be 2 more films after Covenant. Madness really. How much backstory does Alien need?

I know this is Ridley. But how the hell does this guy get his funding if the last one tanked really badly? And the last two were very divisive? Did alien: Covenant do well overseas?

thanks for the link, a-dev

I imagine a good number of us have interacted with famous people anonymously on the internet, whether it be about collectibles or otherwise. You'd think that places where you can just be a normal person are quite relished when most of your life is under the scrutiny of the public eye. No reason to disclose who you are and throw that window of freedom away.

True and if they did claim to be *insert famous person name*, people would be skeptical so they'd have to prove it and then it's a Ron Burgundy ''Iiiiii'mm kind of a big deal, people know me'' vibe.

I know this is Ridley. But how the hell does this guy get his funding if the last one tanked really badly? And the last two were very divisive? Did alien: Covenant do well overseas?

thanks for the link, a-dev

I don't know offhand but Covenant was forgotten pretty quickly so I expect it didn't perform well. I found it entertaining enough but a really bad idea to condense the entire premise of the 1979 movie into the last 15 minutes or so of Covenant - because if that's truly meant to be a prequel to Alien, presumably to be watched before Alien - then how does Alien play after you've just seen this same threat dismissed in such short order in a previous movie?

It's almost no surprise then that Blomkamp's film didn't go ahead when the creature had so recently been diminished in this way.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the last two Alien films.. But only because I completly seperate them from the original Alien movie. They are like fan fiction.

For me the Jockey is still some weird looking being and we still have no idea where the ALIEN originated.. I dont want to know. I just assume its some other life form.. That's good enough.

But I love the David character of the Prequel films and find the stories interesting enough.. But they have nothing to do with the original ALIEN franchise in my mind :)

I would love to see Scott be able to finish the Prequel films.. But yeah.. They don't make Bank.

I just read somewhere that Scott is still talking about doing another movie, who knows...
At one point I heard that he wanted to do four or five movies to tie into Alien, and also that after Covenant he wanted to go back and tell the story of Shaw and David, and then pick up the events after Covenant and how the Engineers followed David to LV426 for the final showdown. And somewhere in there there was something about Daniels being used to become a Queen.

It really was a shame that Shaw was executed off-screen, I think her character was much more interesting than Daniels. Shaw was the Ripley to Daniels' Lambert. Also, it made David/Walter the actual protagonist of the "prequels", which is kinda odd for the "Alien" series of films, where the protagonist has always been a woman. Not good or bad, just odd.

But yeah, I want to see where Scott takes this, even though he's way past his prime.

I really enjoyed the last two Alien films.. But only because I completly seperate them from the original Alien movie. They are like fan fiction.

For me the Jockey is still some weird looking being and we still have no idea where the ALIEN originated.. I dont want to know. I just assume its some other life form.. That's good enough.

But I love the David character of the Prequel films and find the stories interesting enough.. But they have nothing to do with the original ALIEN franchise in my mind :)

I would love to see Scott be able to finish the Prequel films.. But yeah.. They don't make Bank.
Yes to everything you said, the only way I can enjoy Prometheus, is to divorce it from Alien. Otherwise, the Space Jockey = Engineers alone would be enough to make me turn it off.

I remember owning a making of Alien book when I was a kid, I used to salivate over what these book contained, and always hoped that one day, the concepts and ideas it presented, would make it to the screen. Instead I got Aliens, which I loved and hated at the same time. I loved it because, well, it was just a great movie with a lot of fun action. I hated it because it turned the Aliens into low intelligence bugs, and abandoned the concepts I always hoped I see realized on film.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'd argue that Aliens, while yes relegating the Alien to drone-like status, instead made the Queen its singular Alien with intelligence and personality. So that element wasn't totally lost. And I've no particular problem believing that any one of those Alien Warriors would behave more like the one on the Nostromo - were it too cut off from the rest and if it too had the benefit of its prey not being armed with Pulse Rifles.

I'd argue that Aliens, while yes relegating the Alien to drone-like status, instead made the Queen its singular Alien with intelligence and personality. So that element wasn't totally lost. And I've no particular problem believing that any one of those Alien Warriors would behave more like the one on the Nostromo - were it too cut off from the rest and if it too had the benefit of its prey not being armed with Pulse Rifles.
I get what you're saying, perhaps the queen overrode their individual thinking? The intelligence of the Alien was only hinted at in the movie, really. I guess it was the conceptual stuff, Alien pyramids, hieroglyphs, etc..., that really hit me as a kid, and I always wanted to see.

Being a very entertaining and exciting movie, Aliens lost the creepiness and unsettling aspects of the first. Each is a very clear product of its time: Alien very sexual and preoccupied with "The Man" AKA "The Company", Aliens very militaristic and optimistic.
Instead of "Kane's son" (how ****ing creepy is that?) and male rape (and male pregnancy for that matter) we got two mommies fighting it out over their obedient children (and tellingly, the only raped/impregnated/birth-giving person in the movie is a woman).
I'm not saying Aliens is bad, I really enjoy it a lot, but it's very different from the first one... and I think cleverly so -it explores other aspects of the human condition ad expands on the genre. So all is good.
But I do think the creepiness of the first one is more thought-provoking. Aliens is the usual in-your-face type of story that Cameron likes to tell.

I get what you're saying, perhaps the queen overrode their individual thinking? The intelligence of the Alien was only hinted at in the movie, really. I guess it was the conceptual stuff, Alien pyramids, hieroglyphs, etc..., that really hit me as a kid, and I always wanted to see.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned would have been great to see on the big screen. I always loved Alien. Aliens to me is great too but I look at it like T2 to Terminator. Great action movie to a horror movie. Alien was always a thought provoking horror movie to me since there was no explanation from where they originated. It was always cool to imagine that aspect.

Back