Need 1/6th Horse Suggestions

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Kern

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been sculpting 1/6th heads for years and with the help of another artist we are going to try making a 1/6th scale horse. The thing is we are looking for suggestions on which should be the first horse to create. Some ideas and suggestions:

What breed or type: Heavy horse (Clydesdale), Light horse (Quarter Horse) or Endurance (Arabian/thin legs)

What pose: standing, walking or trotting

Head closed-mouth or open-mouthed?

The tail and mane can be either neat or natural too. Casting the horse without sculpted hair is another option for people who want rooted hair.

This is a project I've wanted to do for a while and things have finally aligned so that we have the time and resources to sculpt and cast something this large. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Billy

I think seeing a Clydesdale would be awesome to see, but most people would probably want something they can relate to or have seen in film, and can match with a certain figure the have.

I can say this, if you choose the mid run pose, do the open mouth,

If he's mid trot, just do like a mild smirk on one side,

And if you do the standings, keep the mouth closed.

It will look more real if you have the facial expression to match the body motion.

If you can weather the hair and not let it look like a fancy barbie, give it a try,

Im partial to sculpted hair but it's only because every other plugged hair horse just looks like the early 90's barbie toys to me...

Well best uf luck on your adventure and keep us posted with pics and updates please.

Thanks for the feedback. My sister Sue Kern is the horse sculptor and she creates statues in the Breyer scale (1/9 & 1/10th) and occasionally in 1/32 scale, so this scale is something she is looking forward to making.

The first horse will be a Light horse with a relaxed walk and natural hair. A very versatile pose and it will also be pack friendly.

ugy9a6u4.jpg

I recently bought this horse which I think has a cool pose, it also has realistic hair/ fur which you could use on your versions. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing it progress.

Back