My friend Sean, my mom, say I'm a freak

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seriously, that's why I said, at least this guy doesn't collect Barbies or Monster high dolls or something.
I find it hard to believe that people would be insulting about statues, or high end collectibles since they barely look like toys, they all look amazing,

those people are just weird

Or they're just jealous because they can't afford such a hobby, and their knee jerk reaction is to criticize anyone who can afford it.

I can understand how buying this stuff seems like a waste of money to someone looking from the outside in.

Everyone spends their money on something.

Precisely. I laugh at people with dumbass comments. People that'd in turn spend tens of thousands on sporting events or vacations. Or even cars. Cars are sweet but they only depreciate in value. Where's the fun in that?

I dunno :dunno

Everyone spends their money on something.

I know, but it's hard for people that aren't in the hobby to understand it. It's sort of like my friend's movie poster collecting. He bought one for over $1,500 that was just released in 2008. It's a lot of money in my opinion, but he enjoys it. I still don't think making fun of someone for it is fair.

Yet, when you buy that HT figure for $200 and flip him a year later for $700, your profit margins are greater than most stocks. :lol

Another friend of mine bought a ton of Facebook stock. Bad idea.

I'm in the mindset that your place represents who you are. Display your collection with pride; those statues obviously represent who you are. You also don't need to justify why you collect them. It makes you happy. End of discussion.

Most people dont have stuff like we have in their homes. They have money in the bank instead,lol.

I have more money in my bank accounts than most of my friends who have two and three incomes coming in. They just spend their money on other things.

My brother always criticizes me for what I spend my money on, yet he has 2 vans and a truck for 2 people, spending hundreds of dollars each year on his landscaping, goes to Atlantic City 3 times a year, has tons of model trains, and I could go on.

I'm in the mindset that your place represents who you are. Display your collection with pride; those statues obviously represent who you are. You also don't need to justify why you collect them. It makes you happy. End of discussion.

Couldn't have said it better. In addition, find other people that share your interests is really easier than it seems. Most of the people I know have a "geek niche" of some kind.

I have more money in my bank accounts than most of my friends who have two and three incomes coming in. They just spend their money on other things.

My brother always criticizes me for what I spend my money on, yet he has 2 vans and a truck for 2 people, spending hundreds of dollars each year on his landscaping, goes to Atlantic City 3 times a year, has tons of model trains, and I could go on.

your brother is a gaylord...:lecture

your brother is a gaylord...:lecture

eh.....doesn't look anything like him. :dunno

g12c0000000000000003f186bee3667b025c89cbbfd729b561744ab99d0.jpg

:D

Most people who will act like you are "weird" are the same people who are obsessed with what other people think about them or are "manly" men.

We have friends & family several times a week and two people have acted like my collection was weird. My brother-in-law thinks that they are stupid, but he had no problem spending thousands on his raised redneck truck with bull testicles on the back.

Another friend saw my display cases and said, "Wow, nerd paradise. I feel like I am in a comic shop." The irony is that I JUST talked to him a bit about his collection of Wal-Mart fishing poles and how he would ride his dirt bike at Glamis. I showed him how much I paid for 4-5 of my statues (Cap. America, Thor, Gambit, HT Leon, HT M. Wesker) and then searched them on eBay. He hasn't said anything since. :wink1:

We have had a few friends ask us to cover up Venom com and the Batman Hot Toys because they scare their kids and we have no problem with that. My wife's best friend would refer to the Ms. Marvel PF as "big boobie lightning lady", but we laughed about it (she has a collection of Barbies and Hunger Games stuff).

Point is, collect what you like and be yourself. Is it nerdy or geeky? It all depends if you care if people try to label you that.

Back