Mother's Basement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly you don't live in the UK. You post a picture of someone and then a group of people turn up calling her names, in writing, you can end up down your local police station if she complains. Especially when you add in comments about police being crooks.

The US police may have a sense of humour about that, I can assure you ours don't.

But hey, I'm just trying to give out some helpful advice to save people some aggro and avoid undoing all the hard work that's been done to date. Feel free to ignore me by all means, won't affect me either way.

You should take more care in who you are talking to. ;)

Are you a lawyer? Or a police man?

Didn't check, can't believe anyone who lives in the UK thinks the police don't care about people using the C word against another person, especially a woman. The police don't get emotionally involved in stuff like this, if you think they're going to be cool with it because people are annoyed at MB, you're pretty naïve.

So are you if you think that anyone would get more than a warning for it, no one will get prosecuted for calling Kate a nasty word.

You're missing the point, the whole of the community is wanting the police to take action against MB and then they visit a thread where people are insulting the owners of MB and the police in this way, that isn't going to help get them on side is it?

Why is everyone getting on my back here, I was trying to be helpful?

You're missing the point, the whole of the community is wanting the police to take action against MB and then they visit a thread where people are insulting the owners of MB and the police in this way, that isn't going to help get them on side is it?

Why is everyone getting on my back here, I was trying to be helpful?

Because we are talking about a £40000 possible fraud, whether a few people on Facebook make silly comments or not will not change the fact that the police will need to investigate it.

Everyone on here already knows that it's not clever to make inflammatory statements, but it will make no difference to any case brought against the owners of MB. The police will still need to act in a professional manner and investigate whether a crime has been committed.

Because we are talking about a £40000 possible fraud, whether a few people on Facebook make silly comments or not will not change the fact that the police will need to investigate it.

Everyone on here already knows that it's not clever to make inflammatory statements, but it will make no difference to any case brought against the owners of MB. The police will still need to act in a professional manner and investigate whether a crime has been committed.

Yup! Good post!

Yup that woman is me :( , bank said it's not fraud because i willingly gave them my card details, i always used paypal with them and they told me they couldn't refund me via paypal because it was out of the 45 period so had to give them my debit card details over the phone for them to issue the refund to that, the refund went into my bank on 13/1/14 and was taken back out again yesterday, action fraud have said it's clearly fraud and theft because they took it without my consent and after they ceased trading, i've been given a crime number to take back to the bank and if they still refuse to help then i need to contact the financial ombudsman. I have kept my emails from MB including the conversation about how they refunded me, there's another guy who checked his bank after seeing my post and they have done it to him too and took £495 out :(

Debs, unless there is something very arcane hidden away in banking law, your bank is incorrect.. you provided card details to receive a refund which was duly processed.. if almost a month later MB charged your card with a fresh transaction (even if it's for an identical amount), that transaction is unauthorised and fraudulent.

The only possible other explanation is that the refund was made via a Mother's Basement account with effectively no funds.. and therefore the transaction was nullified by the financial establishment that transacted the refund on MB's behalf.. Banks bury the fact they can take a very long time to 'finalise' a payment transaction, deep in your account small print.

I would agree with other posts stating that although inconvenient, anyone who feels they might be at risk of a similar refund 'clawback' should immediately cancel the card concerned and have it replaced.. that should help to prevent your Bank rendering greater assistance to their corporate associates than to you, their clients.

However if you have already had a 'clawback' of a refund, seek legal advice.. it may not be wise to cancel the card under those circumstances.

Hello they guy who had the 495 .98 taken out is me I have been so angry about this whole episode this past 5 months And the past 24 hours got a little mad.I wonder if it was all starting around october time when things were getting a little(o there coming in next week) I have reported it to the bank.
And I will go to police.The works. I think the whole thing stinks big time, going limited on the 10 january then a month later taking it out of my account. how can the take a refund out of my account the damm things never came anyway. I do look forward to find out if its some kind of fraud or just ************* **** BUISNESS practices or bad luck. If it is fraud I hope the full weight of the law ,banks and karma catch up with those responsible. Now it is a waiting game.But I look forward to put the Mother Basement chapter behind.It has been a costly one and I do hope the collectors and the retailers recover.

Sorry Wheels, this whole thing stinks. Surely it cannot be legal to claim refunds back after a business has gone out of business. I hope everybody gets all of their money back and these cowboys are never allowed to run a business again.

Its is troubling that they are directors.I am very suspect about it all and any faith in them as human beings is lost.disgusting affair

Sorry Wheels, this whole thing stinks. Surely it cannot be legal to claim refunds back after a business has gone out of business. I hope everybody gets all of their money back and these cowboys are never allowed to run a business again.

Apologies if i did not make the point clearly in my last post.. the Banks are effectively not 'claiming the money back' .. they are claiming the initial refund transaction did not have sufficient funds to cover it and is therefore void.. ie. it didn't take place because of a lack of funds to cover the transaction and they are merely correcting an inaccurate statement of transfer.. its the sort of corporate shenanigans that rightly annoys consumers.. how long do you have to wait to know that a transaction is genuinely completed?.. unfortunately the answer from most Banks appears to be: 'When we say so, not before.. and we may change our minds later'.

Imho if it does not already exist, there should be a change to the law ensuring that for transactions involving private Bank accounts, there is a fixed period of time after which a Bank cannot reverse a payment.. although this would probably have to be at least 30 days, to avoid fraud.. which might not help everyone in this case.

Imho if it does not already exist, there should be a change to the law ensuring that for transactions involving private Bank accounts, there is a fixed period of time after which a Bank cannot reverse a payment.. although this would probably have to be at least 30 days, to avoid fraud.. which might not help everyone in this case.

That wouldn't work.
What if i worked for a company and fraudulently transferred a million pounds into your personal account from the company accounts?
There has to be a way a company or bank can claw that money back.
I'm not saying it's right.
But the banks will always win and will never be out of pocket for long.
I am lucky that i accidentally put my wallet in the washing machine just before christmas, but AFTER i got a refund. My card wouldn't work and i had to get a replacement.
I keep checking my statement though, and still expect to be stung.

That wouldn't work.
What if i worked for a company and fraudulently transferred a million pounds into your personal account from the company accounts?
There has to be a way a company or bank can claw that money back.
I'm not saying it's right.
But the banks will always win and will never be out of pocket for long.
I am lucky that i accidentally put my wallet in the washing machine just before christmas, but AFTER i got a refund. My card wouldn't work and i had to get a replacement.
I keep checking my statement though, and still expect to be stung.

I take your point, which is why I mentioned there would need to be at least 30 days to avoid fraud.. the other issue would be that any such legislation would in fact also effect consumers.. eg. the PayPal 45 day refund deadline, may well reflect certain accepted Banking practises.
However the current state of legislation concerning the difference between credit card and debit transactions really does need overhauling, to protect consumers in an increasingly 'cashless' transaction marketplace.. currently imho, debit card customers are not sufficiently protected.

I hope your refund remains safe.

I take your point, which is why I mentioned there would need to be at least 30 days to avoid fraud.. the other issue would be that any such legislation would in fact also effect consumers.. eg. the PayPal 45 day refund deadline, may well reflect certain accepted Banking practises.
However the current state of legislation concerning the difference between credit card and debit transactions really does need overhauling, to protect consumers in an increasingly 'cashless' transaction marketplace.. currently imho, debit card customers are not sufficiently protected.

I hope your refund remains safe.

Thanks. Me too...
As for the other thing, if you had stolen Paypal's money, you can bet your a55 they would come after you and GET their money back. Why should it be different if we are out of pocket?
It's a lop sided system, that's for sure.

Ok to answer some questions, MB's supply of stock has been offered to various suppliers hence more items popping up (perhaps meaning that MB never bought the stock??? )
OSB, The good the bad and the robots, Toy HQ, Order66, Collectable Kitbash, and many others are all real UK retailers and in no way affiliated, the fact is that Amerang (MB's ex supplier) have excess stock and also some people have cancelled orders with more reputable dealers due to their loss of funds due to MB. Please contact me should you require any more direct infom - Andy from Mothers Basement Has My Money

We have no connection to Amerang - Grey and Proud!!

As for this horrid situation, many of my customers are not on FB and many have said they have been scammed, I have pointed them towards the FB group, so the group total of £££ being scammed could be much more.

Never trusted MB, thought they where dodgy from the start.

WaiMan

Well I had some good news from my bank. They've refunded £290.00, which means I've only lost £110.00. Which in the great scheme of things is far better than losing £400. :):(:confused:

Back