more HOBBIT news from EW!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a relatively new/small studio I would have great respect for what they have released over the years. Nothing Peter Jackson did before LoTR could be considered a master-piece either. King Kong was no great shakes:D

You could make a case for Heavenly Creatures.

PJ was pretty well thought of with his stuff going in. NL was pretty much all about slasher flicks.

You could make a case for Heavenly Creatures.

Certainly Heavely Creatures was an interesting film and a break from the gore he normally made but it certainly was not on a par with what Sam Rami was doing with Evil Dead. The Lord of the Rings has made Peter Jackson and he made the LoTR what it is along with everyone else involved including New Line who were brave enough to give a hairy Kiwi a chance. I don't know the ins and outs of the dispute but it should be put to one side so that both NL and PJ can be involved.

Thats true but when outside of Freddy or Jason thats not saying a lot.

Yeah, but Peter Jackson wasn't exactly riding high at that point either. While I love the film, the Frighteners was a complete flop.

Yeah, but Peter Jackson wasn't exactly riding high at that point either. While I love the film, the Frighteners was a complete flop.

That could be said though for any director who's a big gun now. Lucas, Speilberg, etc where all nobodies before their big hit.

That could be said though for any director who's a big gun now. Lucas, Speilberg, etc where all nobodies before their big hit.

Exactly. My point is New Line didn't make Peter Jackson and Peter Jackson didn't make New Line.

Exactly. My point is New Line didn't make Peter Jackson and Peter Jackson didn't make New Line.

PJ helped bail NL out of some trouble. They hadn't had much in the way of success and I think might have been in some financial trouble. So.......

PJ helped bail NL out of some trouble. They hadn't had much in the way of success and I think might have been in some financial trouble. So.......

Yeah and New Line bailed his ass out by allowing him to make 3 films. The street goes both ways. These films weren't a sure thing.

Yeah and New Line bailed his ass out by allowing him to make 3 films. The street goes both ways. These films weren't a sure thing.

Not really. PJ wanted to do more than one film but figured the only way to get it made was one film if I remember correctly. NL just gave him what he wanted.

Not really. PJ wanted to do more than one film but figured the only way to get it made was one film if I remember correctly. NL just gave him what he wanted.

Actually I think he was pitching two films and New Line gave him 3. If New Line hadn't signed on though, the films might not have been made at all from what I understand.

Actually I think he was pitching two films and New Line gave him 3. If New Line hadn't signed on though, the films might not have been made at all from what I understand.

Yeah, I think you're right on the films being made. The other I'd have to go back and check. Its too late today though.

I did the research for you. Bannister is right. After pitching LOTR to all the different studios PJ had accepted that to get a studio to make LOTR he would have to cut them down to 1 or 2 movies at the most.

When he pitched LOTR to New Line, it was Bob Shaye who told Peter he was crazy and he would have to make them in to 3 movies.

All this per the FotR EE version documentary.

So it looks like in this case, one hand washed the other and vice versa.

There is no doubt that movies are a team effort with lots of people doing different things to make them a success. If it comes down to Jackson vs. Shaye, think about this for a moment:

If you had to remove one of those men from the idea of doing two more films based on THE HOBBIT and other Middle-earth material, which one would you remove and still pretty much get a great couple of pictures?

Lots of people can write checks. Very few can make great pictures.

I did the research for you. Bannister is right. After pitching LOTR to all the different studios PJ had accepted that to get a studio to make LOTR he would have to cut them down to 1 or 2 movies at the most.

When he pitched LOTR to New Line, it was Bob Shaye who told Peter he was crazy and he would have to make them in to 3 movies.

All this per the FotR EE version documentary.

So it looks like in this case, one hand washed the other and vice versa.

Thanks for looking all that up Pix. NL did help PJ for sure but NL was in serious hot water without PJ.

I believe I read or saw somewhere that Harvey Weinstein and Miramax were the only other studio interested in LOTR but they insisted it be two 2 hour movies and they were not going to have PJ direct it.
It was New Lie and Robert Shaye[dy] that suggested making it three movies with PJ definitely at the helm. New Lie took a tremendous gamble by funding and filming all three movies at the same time. Had "The Fellowsip" done a crash and burn New Lie would have faced certain bankruptcy.

I believe I read or saw somewhere that Harvey Weinstein and Miramax were the only other studio interested in LOTR but they insisted it be two 2 hour movies and they were not going to have PJ direct it.
It was New Lie and Robert Shaye[dy] that suggested making it three movies with PJ definitely at the helm. New Lie took a tremendous gamble by funding and filming all three movies at the same time. Had "The Fellowsip" done a crash and burn New Lie would have faced certain bankruptcy.

Yep, and Weinstein STILl got his grubby paws on this epic. He tossed some money in and got his name in there. NLC pay the bulk of the bills, but there were many producers...Lot o' people had their hands in the cookie jar.
So, New Line took a gamble but w/o PJ, the gamble most likely would not have paid off.

So, NLC deserves credit, but come on....
Anyone can now fund a picture that is going to be a cash cow, like the Hobbit....it is the ingredients, like McKellen, Serkis, WETA, Walsh, Boyens and of course, Jackson that are going to fill that cow up!

So, NLC deserves credit, but come on....
Anyone can now fund a picture that is going to be a cash cow, like the Hobbit....it is the ingredients, like McKellen, Serkis, WETA, Walsh, Boyens and of course, Jackson that are going to fill that cow up!

I agree. the hobbit isnt gonna be a gamble like the LOTR was. you know its gonna be a blockbuster especially if you got the same creative team. anybody can and will fund it. new line isnt a necessity.

Back