MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, so you're gonna' make me the only person who bought two? :lol

Sorry bud - if the $265 was the price in Canadian Monopoly money I'd for sure have got 2 . . . it is what it is.

I'll just have to get used to "having a play" to repose and swap heads every few months :)

This might have to be a pass for me - which really stings. Like most people here, this is a top film for me and Carpenters best. But the price, this whole paying up front crap, the really rough looking coat, and not loving at least one of those sculpts is a lot to get over. And if you're gonna do it there's no reason to not go with the exclusive. Such a bummer.

If one of the surviving dealers parts this out, or an Ebay seller does, and since it has two heads, I can see some people sitting on a headsculpt, preparing to pay a decent chunk for the cheapest headsculpt they can find out of the two, then build the rest.

There's a price threshold where many people will want a complete "solution", i.e. not have to dig to find parts from other places and figure sets to complete it. I.E. for those who might have to consider 400 out the door ( tax/customs/shipping/etc), the idea of having to replace the boots then find the blue sweatshirt, I can see that offputting.

My suggestion? Lobby DAM Gangster Kingdom to make a sort of knockoff MacReady. Obviously he won't be movie perfect. But if you get 80 percent of the way there with a DAM set, then just find a replacement headsculpt, etc, then that would be interesting. A flamethrower gangster (with modern clothes) with an Ithaca 37 shotgun and a 357 Magnum revolver with a movie accurate leather jacket. And some dynamite and a gascan backpack, something like that. Get a new head and find the flightsuit and you can convert it, etc.

Resistance is... slipping. Must retain....composure... I don't live in a palace, nor do I have unlimited resources. My name is not Del Toro. I cannot devote my entire house to this....must resist.....

u-https-www-storypick-com-wp-content-uploads-2017-01-precious.gif

I see a lot of price complaints in here, so I’ll add another. If the non exclusive version (if there is one) is around $235, I’ll gladly order it.

Someone posted this-

"I see a lot of griping about how inaccurate this figure is, but I think some people are missing what Mondo is going for here. They don't make ultra realistic figures like Hot Toys - they're shooting for fun, sometimes "stylized" collectible figures"

But it is inaccurate and they are charging Hot Toys prices for it

It's missing his blueish hood

The Extra head is pointless as it's frosted, but the rest isn't

Some say he's missing a hat, goggles, and shades

I do like the figure and tempted to get it because it's THE THING macgready, but the blue hoodie would be my biggest gripe

Someone posted this-

"I see a lot of griping about how inaccurate this figure is, but I think some people are missing what Mondo is going for here. They don't make ultra realistic figures like Hot Toys - they're shooting for fun, sometimes "stylized" collectible figures"

But it is inaccurate and they are charging Hot Toys prices for it

It's missing his blueish hood

The Extra head is pointless as it's frosted, but the rest isn't

Some say he's missing a hat, goggles, and shades

I do like the figure and tempted to get it because it's THE THING macgready, but the blue hoodie would be my biggest gripe
Whoever said that is just jumping through hoops to justify it, which completely failed.

They have made an ultra-realistic portrait - and that's all I'm focused on :clap

For me, it's a quality head sculpt that carries the weight - for this or ANYTHING in the collectibles market.

What's that saying? - "the clothes maketh the man" ? - but the reality is that for most folks, if the head sculpt is good, and the outfit is representative (which this IS) - the intended audience will be happy.

Still - there's that other saying I have to remind myself about . . . opinions are like (inserts substitute word "unicorns"), everyone has one :wink1: :)

I don’t know.. to me it’s fine but I’m not as impressed as a lot of people are I guess. The sculpts look okay but a bit too stylized for my liking.

A big complaint I always have with Mondo is their stuff always seems more like oversized toys versus true high end collectibles, yet they want to price their stuff like other big companies.

Some of the clothing and accessories look okay. The jacket looks rough though and the missing hoodie is definitely a shame.

Last edited:
Any clue what body is being used for this? An exclusive mondo design? The elbows look to be just single joints judging by the photos and poses.

Not TOO harsh to get to .au (US$46), so I think I'll have to grab this.

I was thinking of playing the long game and see if someone KO's the sculpts for a more accurate clothing attempt, but I think as a whole package the value is there enough for me.

Kurt Russell is the only actor I'd ever triple up in my displays besides Harrison Ford so he'll happily joint my SS Jack Burton until a better Plissken shows up.

I'm a bit confused: the blue hoodie was included with the early proto on page 3 on this thread. Did they decide to drop it from the figure? Seems a shame.

Looks like Mondo ditched what would have been an amazing addition, if they had included the blue hoodie.
Viola (the headsculpt painter) posted images of her work - where one of them was a faceplate for the hoodie (I assume). Looks awesome.

Such a shame it wasn't included.
Mondo dropping the ball on this figure big-time. :(

1698831596991.png

100% the blue hoodie will be a variant release down the road, and it'll have that sculpt with it.

Is that Mondo's usual method?

If so there's no reason to get the current version, unless they leave something out while adding something new.

After sleeping on it and looking at the photos again to see if I was more tempted, my first impression was that the photos of him in the jacket made him look more like a 1/12 figure.

Back