1/6 MOLA RAM Custom Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys might want to consider dyeing the bodies as well. RIT Demore would work perfectly to get that darker skintone.

Definitely. Acrylic paintwash will also stain that rubber pretty easily to -- I've done it to Indy, German Mechanic and Belloq. I haven't tried dye on a body. Do you have to put the whole body into the boiling water? Seems tough to control -- once you get too dark, there's no going back.

Anyway, got to get a head first to see the color.

Yeah you would put the whole body in. I haven't done it personally (though I've dyed countless items including plastics, rubber, and of course fabric), but I know people like Jake Rahmier and Seb Bontemps have successfully dyed bodies. If you do it, use less dye to start and go from there.

Yep, waiting to get the painted sculpt and give it a a try. Have not tried it before. Any tips?

You'll get the best results with bodies with softer rubber than with hard plastic. With that in mind, you may get inconsistent results because of different materials used to manufacture the various body parts. Also, be sure to maintain the water temperature (boiling or very close to it). I would start with less dye, see how it turns out and then go from there. I would also recommend experimenting with dyeing parts like the extra hands first to get an idea.

Just got the Ram set in, it's flipping awesome. HIGHLY recommend the painted set, looks ready to go and the hairing on the headdress is perfect -- really excellent work all around, Spenser! Really great to have the two different display options.

I'll post some pics later, but obviously don't have clothes or anything else at the moment. I do have that JX body though, but with the dark head I'm considering one of those ganghood bodies mentioned earlier in the thread.

They make a slightly more muscular version of that JX body with broader shoulders that might work. Mola wasn't super buff, but still had a bigger chest than what's on that body above.

I got one of those Ganghood bodies before, but the neck was so short and stumpy that I ended up having to mod it for my Daredevil custom.

They make a slightly more muscular version of that JX body with broader shoulders that might work. Mola wasn't super buff, but still had a bigger chest than what's on that body above.

I got one of those Ganghood bodies before, but the neck was so short and stumpy that I ended up having to mod it for my Daredevil custom.

Ah that's too bad. I thought it was you that had recommended it, but maybe not. :lol

Are you talking about the S02 or S03 for the other body?

I was referring to the S02, but the S03 might work too. Hard to tell from pics what the size is like in hand though.

And yeah that was me who recommended the Ganghood before, but clearly I forgot about the neck issue. :D And looking at it again, it probably is a bit too jacked for Mola.

Dying a body that will mostly be covered seems like overkill to me. I will just paint the visible parts to match the head sculpt and then seal it in.

I have not received any tracking info on the head or accessories yet. :(

Be careful with the other S02 and S03 bodies. One is a Bruce Lee type and is very short (I think the S03). The other, S02, the wider body, is I think too wide for Mola Ram. He wasn't Thor. Check the measurements of the shoulder width against a figure you having lying around.

What we really need is a figure that is very thick in the torso -- which I have been unable to find. There is a Worldbox fat body out there but it is just that, fat. If you could strip down that extra belly girth, the actual chest and shoulders could work -- but I'm guessing chopping off the belly creates structural issues.

Received mine today, its awesome, great work Spenser. I?m waiting on the outfit and necklace. I dyed an unused Phicen body using RIT and it came out perfect, matches the sculpts skin tone very well. I?ll post pics when outfit arrives.

Hey guys, here's some shots of the set I got today. Just using a Vader cape in reverse so that he's wearing something for now. I'm thinking the JX S01 will be a little too lean, but I'll see when I have the proper outfit.

Very curious about the body dying process, mbuck. Did you use Rit Dyemore Chocolate Brown?

mola-SSF-01.jpg
mola-SSF-02.jpg
mola-SSF-close-up.jpg
mola-SSF-challis.jpg
mola-SSF-headdress.jpg

Yowza!!!! That looks amazing! Love it!

What body is that? Is the neck a little large for the head?

I'm so happy this is coming together at long last... GREAT WORK, Spenser!!!

If you're feeling adventurous, I would make a hybrid body using the Ganghood muscular torso and putting on the ttm19-style arms.

Thanks everyone I'm glad it's coming together!

Just FYI, I used a combo of orange and blue dyes to tint the base color of the head sculpt, I've found straight brown to be to grey in tint.

Back