Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll take your word for it :lol

The reasons why this game is really underwhelming none of us could have predicted outside of the open world being lifeless and the pacing. Everything you probably hate Kojima for isn't even in this game, to be honest this game doesn't even feel like he had anything to do with it outside of the intro. To me, this is worst game he's made hands down.

I've had my suspicions for quite some time that the world was going to be dead, like most sandbox games... plus him being so scared of GTAV was more proof of that theory.

That proves my point that I can have an honest change of heart. I truly thought it was the demise of the series... boy was I wrong :lol

Seriously, you have no idea how good MGR is compared to this bore fest. :lol

It's like Kojima was upset over the complaints of MGS4 where it's 85% cutscene and now he's back with a vengeance with 95% gameplay. Who cares if it's repetitious? :lol

I'll take your word for it :lol

The reasons why this game is really underwhelming none of us could have predicted outside of the open world being lifeless and the pacing. Everything you probably hate Kojima for isn't even in this game, to be honest this game doesn't even feel like he had anything to do with it outside of the intro. To me, this is worst game he's made hands down.

Btw Pturtle, what is your completion percentage and how many hours have you played?

That's really not what's ruining the game though, because you can do missions without ever really free roaming, it's really the the lack of story, dialogue, boss battles, and cutscenes that really ruin this game for me. If it would have had that it would have been great, I never expected the open world to be full of life, the debs said plenty of times that they it wouldn't be like GTA int hat regard.

Btw Pturtle, what is your completion percentage and how many hours have you played?

35 percent believe it or not :lol

I haven't done many side ops, only the important ones that have some story, I've just been trying to get through the main missions so I can see the ending.

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

I think there's about 50 episodes in the game, I'm on episode 40 so I should be done soon, but yea it's really a shame, because this game had so much potential. All of the characters really could have shined in a traditional Metal Gear, what's incredible is, everything Kojima is known for doing with past games, all the Easter eggs breaking the fourth wall etc....are all gone. With an open world like this, it would have been cold to have some random things happening similar to PT.

I'm moving through the stages of grief pretty fast. I'm on bargaining right now. Pturtle, you still have 10 episodes left, so maybe something mind-blowing will happen. I logged in more hours into Peace Walker than any game in my life, so there's still hope for me. When I played Ground Zeroes, I just carried in my love of Big Boss from previous games, so I may be doing that here. I have to buy it. As long as it doesn't mess with any characterizations, then I'm good.

What's the next stage? Depression, right? :lol

I'm moving through the stages of grief pretty fast. I'm on bargaining right now. Pturtle, you still have 10 episodes left, so maybe something mind-blowing will happen. I logged in more hours into Peace Walker than any game in my life, so there's still hope for me. When I played Ground Zeroes, I just carried in my love of Big Boss from previous games, so I may be doing that here. I have to buy it. As long as it doesn't mess with any characterizations, then I'm good.

What's the next stage? Depression, right? :lol

Yea, I'm hoping that the ending will at least be great. I don't think this is technically a bad game, but I can't see most Metal Gear fans enjoying this, if this game was like Peace Walker would have been amazing. My only problems with PW were the boss battles and I was really a fan of the motion comic storytelling but it did work.

So far no characterizations have been messed with since there isn't any really :lol

Most of my friends that aren't Metal Gear fans and have never played a Metal Gear game before picked this up and they're blown away by it, they love the gameplay, so maybe it is a good game but it's certainly not a great Metal Gear game.

It just feels like the three last Big Boss games are completely unnecessary to the series... his legend should of been one and done with MGS3. Kojima mentioned he wanted MGSV to be the Boss in WWII... please, don't ruin her too!

It just feels like the three last Big Boss games are completely unnecessary to the series... his legend should of been one and done with MGS3. Kojima mentioned he wanted MGSV to be the Boss in WWII... please, don't ruin her too!

Kojima has stated many times that he wanted MGS to end with 2, but gave in by making MGS3 which was a beautiful masterstroke. But then the studios forced him to make more. And more. And then some. This is the result.

I'm glad he's out of Konami not because I hate him but quite the opposite. He's now finally gotten the peace he deserves.

Kojima has stated many times that he wanted MGS to end with 2, but gave in by making MGS3 which was a beautiful masterstroke. But then the studios forced him to make more. And more. And then some. This is the result.

I'm glad he's out of Konami not because I hate him but quite the opposite. He's now finally gotten the peace he deserves.

What's scary is, this game's popularity and reputation won't suffer at all no matter how bad the game is... because after all... it's a Hideo Kojima game :yuck

Yea, I'm hoping that the ending will at least be great. I don't think this is technically a bad game, but I can't see most Metal Gear fans enjoying this, if this game was like Peace Walker would have been amazing. My only problems with PW were the boss battles and I was really a fan of the motion comic storytelling but it did work.

So far no characterizations have been messed with since there isn't any really :lol

Most of my friends that aren't Metal Gear fans and have never played a Metal Gear game before picked this up and they're blown away by it, they love the gameplay, so maybe it is a good game but it's certainly not a great Metal Gear game.

I understand what your saying. There's a reason why MGS is my favorite franchise, and from what you said (and I trust you) it's missing those pillars. As much melodrama as there was in MGS4, it doesn't really bug me because it has that unique uncompressed storytelling experience that I can't get anywhere (for good or for worse). Not that I can't be objective (well, subjectively objective, I guess). Oh, and I agree with you about Peace Walker. It's the greatest portable game I played in my life.

I'm happy your friends are enjoying themselves! I don't have a problem separating myself from canon and taking the product for what it is if it's good (I got through "Null" in Portable Ops :lol). Even if I didn't like it, at least it's keeping the franchise alive, and getting new folks in to a franchise that I love so much.

Just did a mission where you have to take out some tanks. I stole a APC with rockets and laid waste to them then nicked the vehicle back to mother base :rock

What's scary is, this game's popularity and reputation won't suffer at all no matter how bad the game is... because after all... it's a Hideo Kojima game :yuck

Just like a Marvel movie :lol

I might actually get this after hearing all of the complaints. I don't like MGS, so maybe I'd enjoy this LOL.

I might actually get this after hearing all of the complaints. I don't like MGS, so maybe I'd enjoy this LOL.

I've heard that it stands alone very well, so you might! They're pretty out there, so I can understand why you wouldn't like them. If you buy it, have fun!

Back