Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting Valvoliner! I've barely watched any of the gameplay videos yet because I don't want to spoil it, but it sure is tempting! The only thing I saw was the E3 demo from last year and part of a clip with some Looney Tunes Rocket Punch action! I'm going to wait till I beat it story so I don't clash with the tone of the story, but after that, I'll go nuts with the tools. Also, those posters are so cool!

@pturtle Thanks! I haven't been paying attention to the Fantastic Four movie, but I'm glad that the director was trying for something different. I think the problem for superheroes films might be that the filmmakers are taking stories that are meant to be consumed in 5-40 minutes and are using them as bases for a 2/2.5 hour stories. Even those 70 minute animated movies struggle with it. That's why I feel bad for giving Marvel a hard time, because it's tough. Speaking of which: Sorry, I re-read my comment and I did not pay to see Age of Ultron, so my "urgh" was misplaced. I was going to just let it go, but the jerk store called to let me know they were out of me.....that was a horrible, horrible joke. See, I should apologize for talking to much!

I watched like half of the video, fast fwding every now and then cause I don't want surprises spoiled, but that was a very fun video, at first I thought it was a hassle to defend Motherbase, but that defense match was very entertaining to watch, I can't imagine how entertaining it is to play.

Still, I'm probably gonna turn that feature off most of the time :lol

I love that Motherbase is such an integral part of the game, Motherbase management was one of the best parts of PW, and it looks like it goes deeper this time, so yeah, Peace Walker for console was a step in the right direction in terms of gameplay.

Still concerned about the weapons development and progression. One of the editors from Jeux Magazine said that Mother Base focused too much on giving you an assortment of lethal weapons that you'll never find yourself using in-game (credit goes to the eeeyunn guy for hooking up the translation). This is because most of the time, you'll be using non-lethals and fultoning soldiers on the battlefield to progressively build your base. And I'd guess, if it's anything like Peace Walker, you'll be farming soldiers throughout the entire game. You'll probably start off with "E" and "D" ranked soldiers, and will only find higher ranks, like "A" and "S" much later in the game.

Peace Walker worked because it was a portable game, and mining for soldiers was fun because you could replay missions on the fly. That kind of tedium seems a bit too much for a full-fledged console release, and let alone, a game that's on a massive scale as MGS V. I'd like it if the story is able to progress without making Mother Base an integral part of the gameplay. It's going to suck immensely if there are progression breaks because you didn't level up your R&D section enough, or didn't gather enough Intel from your Intel section. And then, you'd have to awkwardly "go back in time" to fight bases that you've already played, to get some high-ranked soldiers/intel/equipment that you missed the first time around.

I think if MGS V is truly like "Peace Walker 2" in terms of its mechanics, I can see it turning away a lot of core fans who expect a MGS experience, but have never played PW before, or have never bothered to complete it. KojiPro advertised this game with nice cinematic trailers, that you've come to expect from a MGS release. But, it's already been confirmed by Kojima that MGS V won't be akin to a cinematic experience like the previous games. So, it's a bit of false advertising from KojiPro right there.

There's possibly a HUGE spoiler in the video on 19:06, by the way....

Ugh, what am I still doing here :slap.

Well, progress in main missions was never impeded by R&D, just some bosses were more difficult but that's about it, intel in GZ is a bonus too, nothing that stops you from progressing.

And about the weapons you don't need, that has always been the case since management started since Portable Ops, it's only natural if you focus on Stealth you're only gonna need a tranq gun, but it's good to have the freedom, especially in MP.

Core fans liked PW a lot, and it was an MGS experience from head to toes, I cringe every time someone here says it doesn't "feel" MGS... Same themes, cartoony characters, intrigue, weird gadgets, faux politics, juvenile Japanese humor, but it doesn't feel MGS cause it's not top down view :lol

Ugh, what am I still doing here :slap.
tumblr_ndayixMONB1rnma1do1_400.gif

Well, progress in main missions was never impeded by R&D, just some bosses were more difficult but that's about it, intel in GZ is a bonus too, nothing that stops you from progressing.

And about the weapons you don't need, that has always been the case since management started since Portable Ops, it's only natural if you focus on Stealth you're only gonna need a tranq gun, but it's good to have the freedom, especially in MP.

Core fans liked PW a lot, and it was an MGS experience from head to toes, I cringe every time someone here says it doesn't "feel" MGS... Same themes, cartoony characters, intrigue, weird gadgets, faux politics, juvenile Japanese humor, but it doesn't feel MGS cause it's not top down view :lol

Well, in PW, you had to farm AI parts and weapons for ZEKE by replaying the AI missions multiple times (remember how hard it was to get the rail gun from the Chrysalis? :lol). And if your R&D was too low, you'd also have to replay other missions to obtain higher-ranked soldiers with the appropriate skill level to construct ZEKE. And if I recall correctly, there are were also missions that were dependent on leveling up other sections, like your Intel section just so you could develop a weapon. This took HOURS and sometimes days. These were progression breaks, and it's not like you're given a choice in the matter. As for the weapon selection, it's doesn't sound like the lethal weapons are simply "there" for your choosing, depending your playing style. The inclusion of Mother Base ensures that you will be forced on a non-lethal playthrough (and ignore the lethal weapons) so you'll be able to farm for solders and build your base. Maaayybe you'll be using a lot of lethals against the zombie "Skull" soldiers and AIs, but that's left to be seen..

I think it would've been better if the intense base-building was kept optional. Perhaps have it in the Meta-verse with extra ops and "base defense" while keeping it away from the main storyline.

I wish there was a way to scan your face and recruit yourself in this game.

As for the lethal weapons from what I understand you need to farm for plants to develop tranquilizer based weapons. Maybe that guy neglected to do so

:lol

As for the lethal weapons from what I understand you need to farm for plants to develop tranquilizer based weapons. Maybe that guy neglected to do so

I though the tranq gun was given in the beginning. That's weird... was he just choke-holding soldiers, then?

Yeah, don't watch it from there on out man. I might be wrong, but it may be spoiler related to Quiet in some way, in regards to her powers. Especially from the old trailers, with how she's able to break her fall in mid-air after jumping out of a helicopter.

Anyways, this game needs to get released. I'm off guys (for real this time... hopefully, I think). See you dudes back in Sept!

The tranquilizer pistol was given in the very beginning..However there are more tranquilizer/Non Lethal based weapons in the game (Assault, sniper, sleeping gas granades etc) . The problem mentioned on Jeuxvideo preview is that you get all these non lethal weapons patterns later in the game, and you need to level up the Mother base R&D enginers also.

CLpFg2KXAAEZ9Lv.jpg

CLo3l8mWoAAuI6i.jpg

Last edited:
Well, in PW, you had to farm AI parts and weapons for ZEKE by replaying the AI missions multiple times (remember how hard it was to get the rail gun from the Chrysalis? :lol). And if your R&D was too low, you'd also have to replay other missions to obtain higher-ranked soldiers with the appropriate skill level to construct ZEKE. And if I recall correctly, there are were also missions that were dependent on leveling up other sections, like your Intel section just so you could develop a weapon. This took HOURS and sometimes days. These were progression breaks, and it's not like you're given a choice in the matter. As for the weapon selection, it's doesn't sound like the lethal weapons are simply "there" for your choosing, depending your playing style. The inclusion of Mother Base ensures that you will be forced on a non-lethal playthrough (and ignore the lethal weapons) so you'll be able to farm for solders and build your base. Maaayybe you'll be using a lot of lethals against the zombie "Skull" soldiers and AIs, but that's left to be seen..

I think it would've been better if the intense base-building was kept optional. Perhaps have it in the Meta-verse with extra ops and "base defense" while keeping it away from the main storyline.

You're right, but that was at the end to get the 2nd ending, those missions replay were specifically designed for that, because you had to develop ZEKE, in the main game you didn't have to develop anything to continue, I don't remember any mission other than those that required you to develop anything to continue.

The ones that were a complete borefest for me were the ones to find Zadornov, that ****ing rat.

The inclusion of Motherbase ensures that you will be forced to play non-lethal? I don't understand that part, you can still kill a lot of mofos and just fulton whoever you want, besides, even if you want to fulton someone, you can still injure them and fulton afterwards :lol

According to the video, the level of involvement you have in managing Motherbase is entirely up to you, you can leave everything to Kaz.

Anyways, this game needs to get released. I'm off guys (for real this time... hopefully, I think). See you dudes back in Sept!
*tips bandana with metal hand*

I will wait a little bit more, I bet there won't be spoilers unless the game leaks or something, then I'm off the grid.

You're right, but that was at the end to get the 2nd ending, those missions replay were specifically designed for that, because you had to develop ZEKE, in the main game you didn't have to develop anything to continue, I don't remember any mission other than those that required you to develop anything to continue.

The ones that were a complete borefest for me were the ones to find Zadornov, that ****ing rat.

The inclusion of Motherbase ensures that you will be forced to play non-lethal? I don't understand that part, you can still kill a lot of mofos and just fulton whoever you want, besides, even if you want to fulton someone, you can still injure them and fulton afterwards :lol

According to the video, the level of involvement you have in managing Motherbase is entirely up to you, you can leave everything to Kaz.

Please check it out (Is spoilers free):

You can skip the first 2 minutes or so

The Mother Base management is a key factor on TPP, much more than it was on PW. I read basically the same advices given at the end of this videopreview from a different source who was also playing.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I didn't get that impression at all though, I got the same feeling that you get from PW, in PW you also didn't get any non-lethal weapons until you had more advanced personnel and blue prints, up to that point it was all tranq gun and cqc, which by the way, for me, that's more than enough, I seldom use a tranq sniper rifle and much less the more fancy non-lethal weapons.

Everything he mentioned wasn't any different in PW, such as juggling soldiers from one dept to another to level up faster.

I don't know, the scale of the game was made to be something negative, yet everything I heard was positive imo, lots of content and deep mechanics, huge maps with lots of stuff to do, game barely holding your hand, everybody is so dependent on linear games that will spoon feed you everything, that's the impression I got from that video, plus, in this age when games come barebones and crappy DLC costs almost as much as the game itself, complaining about the scale of this game seems borderline insulting, no wonder why we keep getting the same games over and over.

Overall it looks like there isn't any good gaming journalism anymore.

Back