Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MPO should definitely be canon, Kojima should get off his high horse.

Well I believe is canon now since it was published by Konami through social media... a lot of buzz was made in facebook since they were posting the official timeline and MPO had its own entry (':

I went with the release order at the beginning but then I decided to go chronologically. I don't have much time now (here the last year of high school is extremely tough and time is really, really limited) and I've already got my hands full with my backlog, but as soon as the summer comes I'll give them all a go. IMHO, MGS is one of the few games that you must play everything in order to really appreciate and immerse youself in its world. Playing just the newest installment just isn't the same if you haven't witnessed the previous events that transpired.

While it's not the end of the world, I really, really discourage you from playing the games chronologically. Contrary to what other fans have said, the games were not made to be played that way. You'll miss a lot of subtle references and you'll be more enticed and be single minded about the canon rather than what the individual games were trying to achieve at the time.

MGS2 wasn't about Raiden or the Patriots. It was about the Metal Gear fans who are overly eager to swallow anything that popular media fed them, regardless if there are unforeseen consequences to that, and MGS2 shoved that consequences in your face, delivering an experience that is infuriating at first, but bold, sincere, and thought-provoking and ultimately becomes a cautionary tale.

MGS3 wasn't about the beginnings of Naked Snake. It was about Kojima trying to apologize to the fans after the nonsense of MGS2 and gave fans a straight up, back to basics, stealth experience. During E3 2004, the tagline of the game was about the series being at a desperate state to survive and the future of the series relies on this particular game to win back as many fans as possible.

That's the main problem I have with MGSV, I can tolerate anything Kojima throws at me, so long as it has that underlying message that the first 3 MGS games were so good at delivering, both in and out of canon.

Well I believe is canon now since it was published by Konami through social media... a lot of buzz was made in facebook since they were posting the official timeline and MPO had its own entry (':

Really? Wow! Where can I read that? I don't have one of them myface accounts.

Yes, Ryan is right, to get a real sense of what MGS started as, and how it evolved.... To see how the characters are supposed to be and be aware of the changes to the continuity, in short, to feel MGS the right way, you need to play them in the order they were released.

While it's not the end of the world, I really, really discourage you from playing the games chronologically. Contrary to what other fans have said, the games were not made to be played that way. You'll miss a lot of subtle references and you'll be more enticed and be single minded about the canon rather than what the individual games were trying to achieve at the time.

MGS2 wasn't about Raiden or the Patriots. It was about the Metal Gear fans who are overly eager to swallow anything that popular media fed them, regardless if there are unforeseen consequences to that, and MGS2 shoved that consequences in your face, delivering an experience that is infuriating at first, but bold, sincere, and thought-provoking and ultimately becomes a cautionary tale.

MGS3 wasn't about the beginnings of Naked Snake. It was about Kojima trying to apologize to the fans after the nonsense of MGS2 and gave fans a straight up, back to basics, stealth experience. During E3 2004, the tagline of the game was about the series being at a desperate state to survive and the future of the series relies on this particular game to win back as many fans as possible.

That's the main problem I have with MGSV, I can tolerate anything Kojima throws at me, so long as it has that underlying message that the first 3 MGS games were so good at delivering, both in and out of canon.

Yes, Ryan is right, to get a real sense of what MGS started as, and how it evolved.... To see how the characters are supposed to be and be aware of the changes to the continuity, in short, to feel MGS the right way, you need to play them in the order they were released.

:goodpost: :exactly:

You absolutely have to play MGS in order of release and not chronological order. All of us serious MGS fans would advise that.

:goodpost: :exactly:

You absolutely have to play MGS in order of release and not chronological order. All of us serious MGS fans would advise that.

This is correct. I played them all chronologically last year and it just didn't feel right. Definitely play them in order of release!

I've played them chronologically before and it's not the same

Release order is the way to go for the truest experience you can have at this point

I was a little finicky about playing in chronological order or release, but it helps to go release order. Had I played MGS 3 before the others, I would not have understood anything. I went back to play 3 again after playing 2 though, and it helped gain perspective.

Also it's worth noting that gameplay wise, the games do feel fairly different so it could feel hard getting used to the old games if you played the newer ones first.

For you PC guys

Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes May Be Coming to Steam in December - IGN

As reported by sites such as Shazoo and Gamemag.ru, Hideo Kojima himself announced the release date at Russian gaming expo Igromir 2014.

Back in March, Kojima expressed his desire to see Ground Zeroes on PC.

IGN has reached out to Konami for confirmation.

Ground Zeroes was released earlier this year for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One - check out our review. It acts as the prologue to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, which will be out sometime in 2015. IGN Logo

I don't think I'll buy Ground Zeroes again :lol. But, TPP is a definite purchase for the PC.

I will buy Ground Zeroes because

a) I have yet to play it

b) to support Konami and to thank them for embracing the PC platform. Thanks Kojima

Kojima just retweeted this fanart of BB holding the sparkle sticks....

I hope that's some sort of acknowledgment of a dbag BB :lol

By_16ajIUAACRao.jpg

Back